New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
To be honest, I'd like to see the double jump removed - it doesn't really serve any gameplay purpose except to add an additional button press whose timing needs to be learnt.

I would like to see the movement change a little though, since this is supposed to be a new game, which gives us the chance to do something new..

In the movement prototype I was working on prior to the UT reveal, I was trying to do something a little more organic, by employing classical mechanics rather than using strict linear motion. The idea was that through use of momentum, you could potentially gain a lot of speed, though the faster you move, the more difficult immediately changing direction or stopping was as a result. The key to movement would be to use the environment (whose architecture would want to be quite curvy and organic) in order to do this rather than relying purely on keypresses, which in itself is a skill that would need to be learned and could have a real learning curve. Maybe I'll finish that one day as it did have some neat features though was highly unpolished.

Either way, it's not UT though, but it might be something to draw from.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Relevant video, lol at the title though.

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cyVtCq5i-w[/M]

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
I would like to see a system where there is no double jump, single jumping is higher (and maybe a quick tap just makes you jump lower or something), dodging and wall dodging are still in, and you can slip up steep slopes again. Double jumping, dodge jumping, and especially boost jumping all add to what new people have to learn before they can even start to compete at the game.

And that's where I'm torn, double jump is nice but so is nearly eliminating the need for it. And not quite sure if I agree with dodge jumping being removed, maybe nerfed cause we all hate that one twitchy bugger on the server. However if rocket jumping (I know, heresy) or something were added I'd totally be for it.

And I said I would get around to this so: WE DON'T NEED A REMAKE. Remakes are for consoles and mobile platforms. If I want to play UT2k4 then I play UT2k4. I love it and the original to death but I don't look forward to playing the same game I've already been playing for almost 10 years especially if none of the mods I've downloaded will work for it. I don't want a rehashed UT99/UT2k4, I want a new Unreal Tournament, and I want them to take what the community says into consideration and then make a new game with those recommendations in mind.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Bah I spent so long typing my thoughts on movement I got logged out and lost it all. Some might say I lost it long ago ;)

Anyways some good ideas floating around and I'll exit to notepad for now and post my thoughts tomorrow ):

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I think its a very bold move by Epic. I just hope the community see sense when choices are made that they don't like. That's what mods, mutators etc are for!
Word.

On the upside Epic have made so much money from licensing the Unreal engine that pure profit may not be there main focus.

IF Epic take a good long look at themselves they may realise that good game play was what made the company back in the day and not trash the Unreal legacy with something that is pointless.

This is the main point I'm concerned about.

By making the game free, I'm pretty sure Epic are counting on UE4 licenses and their cut of market place content sales to make it worth their while.

Since everyone has to pay for access to the tools, I fear the days of being able to download tons of content (maps in particular) are well behind us. I can't see most people shelling out $20 every month then giving their content away for free. Producing maps and mutators would become more about turning a profit than a labour of love as it has been.

I can already picture DM-MyFirstCube listed at $1.99.

Of course there would be exceptions, I suspect the Old Guard may return and release some free stuff, since I suspect they were (are?) highly passionate about what they do - and to some people recognition for their work is more important than financial return.
..... and I've just reflected what you said in the above part of my post. You've made some good points.

Last edited:

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Epic need that paper. After selling Gears Of War and subscriptions for UE4 as of yet unknown, they need something that will bring in large amounts of money for an extended period of time. Let's hope they don't pull a Diablo III on us and sink into the ground.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Personally, I would have wanted to see a strong core game before the reveal, and let the community get involved from there.
I was also hoping for that. I still hope they take pretty much zero feedback for the DM "demo" and base progress on feedback from there.

beefsack

the authority in beef
Nov 22, 2002
Canberra, Australia
beefsack.blogspot.com
I don't share everyone's concerns about competing movement models between 99 and 2K4. I'm looking at the source right now and anyone with access can fork and make modifications or even maintain completely separate forks.

As long as developers are in the community then there will be workarounds for any issue.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
If everyone forked for all the different versions everyone wanted, no two servers would be running the same shit. The trouble is, if you try and please everyone and give everyone the ability to play what they want, you end up with a fragmented player community - and fragmented communities die very quickly.

If everyone forked for all the different versions everyone wanted, no two servers would be running the same shit. The trouble is, if you try and please everyone and give everyone the ability to play what they want, you end up with a fragmented player community - and fragmented communities die very quickly.

I can't agree with this sentiment enough.

It comes off as having no faith in your own franchise for a developer to try and bend so much for so many different opinions.

Apr 11, 2006
The big things that I really want out of this are modern game improvements like Steam integration, Steam Workshop, ranked matchmaking, and in-game replays/spectating.

Apr 11, 2006
I hope so. I enjoy both major flavors of UT enough that the gameplay question is not a huge deal either way. I think UT99 probably has the more solid core gameplay for DM / CTF, but UT2004 works better for Onslaught, and I've probably played more UT2004 total.

Having things like the Workshop and a dedicated spectate mode requires server architecture which is what concerns me. That kind of stuff might be beyond the scope of a small team of UT fan / devs to accomplish.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Maybe I've got the wrong en of the stick here, but I worry at the moment that people are treating this too much like an open source project.

My understanding from the original announcement was that Epic would be making the core game themselves, with collaboration from the community (as in gameplay ideas, feedback, etc - the forum and traditional community side of things) - but I doubt they were actually looking for community-contributed code and assets.

Otherwise, this is nothing more than an Epic-sanctioned OSS implementation of UT where you pay for the right to contribute - I'm not sure they have the time, mindset, tools and skills to manage or work on a project like that, while integrating it into their own workflow.

I feel their idea for contributions in terms of mods and stuff is more of a traditional approach, where people just build on top of what they provide, NOT contribute to the actual game itself. They have simply made the tools and resources available now, so people can FOLLOW development, and ensure their own stuff works WITH the game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I worry there are going to be a lot of people firing up their editors and IDEs thinking they're going to help build a new UT, only to be shot down when they start making pull requests or art submissions.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My understanding from the original announcement was that Epic would be making the core game themselves, with collaboration from the community (as in gameplay ideas, feedback, etc - the forum and traditional community side of things) - but I doubt they were actually looking for community-contributed code and assets.
Actually, they are. Well, at least for UE4 devs. If you have a subscription, you can fork the code and make modifications to it, and open pull requests on GitHub. The readme even explains how to do it because they are expecting people to do so.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I worry there are going to be a lot of people firing up their editors and IDEs thinking they're going to help build a new UT, only to be shot down when they start making pull requests or art submissions.
I think this is probably true eventually. But I did look at the current source to see if any weirdos had submitted crappy pull requests and so far nobody has. There are about 150 forks of the code, but only three of those people have made any changes whatsoever (and all of those changes were to get their compilers working it looked like).

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm not even enthusiastic about this upcoming Unreal Tournament game. I've got my eye on that Unreal Deal pack and hope it turns to 75% as soon as possible. Mainly because I'm cheap.

Sep 14, 2008
I have a great idea. Epic builds game, we buy game, game come's with editor, UT community creates content and distributes content for free, we host our dedicated servers the way we want to host our servers, And UT lives on for another 20 years. What a brilliant concept. It's too bad greed has to get in the way.