New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

artuur

Mar 4, 2009
Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.
If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,
Michiel van den Bos

more here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4828-Music-(Original-Unreal-UT-Composer)/page2

Last edited:

Ghash_hardass

May 24, 2012
Norway
Hi again, im long time forum lurker!
First off, I loved all unreal titles, ut3 not so mutch but ok!

Theres aloth of idiot ideas and idiot whining voices on the forums(not here)
But IMO, it will calm down, all them naggers are not modders.
I know for all these years, tons of quality maps mods skins have been made by die hard ut fans. I hope and think, its them who actually will contribute to the new game rather than the whining idiot ideas.

Sorry for my crap english

BTW Bio rifle must never be touched or less powerfull!!
Best weapon ever

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Hi again, im long time forum lurker!
First off, I loved all unreal titles, ut3 not so mutch but ok!

Theres aloth of idiot ideas and idiot whining voices on the forums(not here)
But IMO, it will calm down, all them naggers are not modders.
I know for all these years, tons of quality maps mods skins have been made by die hard ut fans. I hope and think, its them who actually will contribute to the new game rather than the whining idiot ideas.

Sorry for my crap english

BTW Bio rifle must never be touched or less powerfull!!
Best weapon ever

Welcome to our mentally unsound corner of the internet.

Anyways, as long as Epic looks at what we say and then figures out what we axtually want then things will be great.

And for all you naysayers: GOD I HAVE TO GO TO WORK, I'LL YELL AT YA WHEN I GET BACK.

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
I'm not sure to what extent fully involving the community as part of the development is really a good thing. The kind of development Epic is using for this new UT isn't new at all, it's the way things work with open-source games, especially shooters such as Nexuiz/Xonotic.

I can foresee the bad things which may happen because of this approach:
- Every server with an own gameplay because of "excess of freedom" (no unifying vision, leading to an even more broken base). This decision about the core gameplay directly affects the level design and the map gameplay, regarding which gameplay to accomodate the map. At least with every UT you had official maps which accomodated the game's core gameplay.
- Too many remakes, or even worse, PORTS (!), of past UT maps (especially UT99) wasting the potential of the UE4 engine. The UT99 versions of the Unreal maps didn't got a lot of play just for being 100% faithful remakes of their Unreal counterparts. Ditto with UT2K4, sans CTF-FaceClassic.
- Character design also wasting the capabilities of the engine in lieu of the gdamned "classic feeling".
- The game being shipped with only a few gametypes (probably DM, TDM, CTF, 1on1 and CA) and only a bunch of maps (all of them of the "competitive" kind) when each and every single of the other UT/UC titles (including the beloved UT, the dreaded UT3 and the "in the middle" UT2004) had everything for everyone. It would be Complacent Gaming Syndrome at it's highest.

Most of these points even clash directly with Epic's intentions (if they're true) of this new UT showcasing what the UE4 is capable of.

And the worst of all things which encompasses all of the above: the dreaded "design by committee" dictating how the game should be built. Rarely such an approach has ever given good results in anything. Especially in software development.

I hope to be wrong in all of these assumptions and DBC doesn't get out of hand.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
If I was releasing stuff on the marketplace and making enough to pay for the time spent, I would almost pay *your* fee just to get your map feedback :)
I'm honored... :p

---
I think it's fine for Epic to want to make some money from this, but they should have been more honest about it instead of dodging the question in the official announcement. Claiming it to be a totally free game kinda falls into false advertising: It doesn't take much time to realise that you'll have to pay to make content, and you may have to pay to download content aswell...

As much as it sucks to pay to contribute, I'm OK with the 20$ paywall as a way of both funding and quality control (keep noobs away) for the early stages of game development, but you really should be given your money back somehow if your work makes into the final game. Doing the work and paying to do all that work... isn't it supposed to work the other way around? :eek:

I'm most concerned about the modding part of it, once the game is finished: The whole marketplace idea sounds plain terrible to me... wasn't it supposed NOT to be a microtransaction-driven game? :tdown: Yeah, you can still give your content away for free, but the monthly fees won't encourage designers to do that... For example, I would no longer expect a hypothetical CBP4 pack to come out for free, which would be a huge step backwards from the previous games... ;) It just doesn't look like the right way to make a platform for modding, no matter how awesome their engine is...

I'd much rather have a UT with hats than a marketplace to pay for actual content. The 'map stamps' thing from TF2 looks like a much better approach IMO, so that all the content is given away for free, but there's still a way to donate to map/mod authors for whoever wants to do it.

I dunno... so far they're trying to make it sound like an awesome, free, open-source, community-driven game, but I can still feel the greedy company that brought us GOW behind all this... :rolleyes: Still very excited though, so let's see how it turns out! :)

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And I want more movement not less :D

They nerfed 2K3 movement for 2K4 & then really crippled it with UT3... the main reason for me that the game wasn't fun anymore [that and the awful UI/Gamespy debacle]

I doubt we'll get proper 2K3 boost dodging back but if it's not at least as good as 2K4s, [boost dodge/slope dodge/shield jumping, etc] my interest will be next to zero.
I'm rather hoping for wall-running, [Titanfall] & rocket jumping, [Q3A] too.

I'm with you broseph. Titanfall has surpassed UT in gameplay awesomeness for me right now. If I could move like Titanfall and have UT weapons, holy shit that would be amazing! I want more movement with a new UT. I don't want to feel like I'm anchored down while playing (UT3).

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
What the hell, Brizz? Were you not campaigning only a couple of years ago to get a community effort together to do this very type of thing? You even had an extensive thread going and everything. What happened you, bro, you got menopaulzheimers or something?

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
The original music composers are posting here? Sweet. No surprise though, as I heard Steve Polge make reference to the forum in yesterday's stream.

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
I've just checked the UEngine forums regarding the new UT, and confirmed that if Epic is going to stick with designing the game by committee, they might as well cancel this because it won't work. All I see is requests to remake the first UT or even worse, PORTS (!).

UT99 wasn't successful for just being the multiplayer part of Unreal.
UT2004 wasn't successful for just being UT99 on better graphics.

This is why design by committee a.k.a. "listen to your community" is such a fallacy.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
What is up all of your butts? Steve Polge said in the stream that yesterday was day one, meaning they had not even written a line of code yet. I've been seeing a lot of various websites make claims that Epic said this, Epic said that, but unless I see a video or a tweet/forum post by an Epic employee, then it is rumor. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am going to wait it out and not make any real judgment until the noise simmers down to a dull roar. Then and only then will I feel comfortable making any judgment on my possible participation in this game.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I'm honored... :p

---
I think it's fine for Epic to want to make some money from this, but they should have been more honest about it instead of dodging the question in the official announcement. Claiming it to be a totally free game kinda falls into false advertising: It doesn't take much time to realise that you'll have to pay to make content, and you may have to pay to download content aswell...

As much as it sucks to pay to contribute, I'm OK with the 20$ paywall as a way of both funding and quality control (keep noobs away) for the early stages of game development, but you really should be given your money back somehow if your work makes into the final game. Doing the work and paying to do all that work... isn't it supposed to work the other way around? :eek:

I'm most concerned about the modding part of it, once the game is finished: The whole marketplace idea sounds plain terrible to me... wasn't it supposed NOT to be a microtransaction-driven game? :tdown: Yeah, you can still give your content away for free, but the monthly fees won't encourage designers to do that... For example, I would no longer expect a hypothetical CBP4 pack to come out for free, which would be a huge step backwards from the previous games... ;) It just doesn't look like the right way to make a platform for modding, no matter how awesome their engine is...

I'd much rather have a UT with hats than a marketplace to pay for actual content. The 'map stamps' thing from TF2 looks like a much better approach IMO, so that all the content is given away for free, but there's still a way to donate to map/mod authors for whoever wants to do it.

I dunno... so far they're trying to make it sound like an awesome, free, open-source, community-driven game, but I can still feel the greedy company that brought us GOW behind all this... :rolleyes: Still very excited though, so let's see how it turns out! :)

Hey G.Lecter, long time no see!
:D
I think it's still early to tell what's going to happen. If they want, there is always work around for Modders. So for now I have the faith. My main concern is the project management.
I hope there will be the roadmap very soon.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And I want more movement not less :D

They nerfed 2K3 movement for 2K4 & then really crippled it with UT3... the main reason for me that the game wasn't fun anymore [that and the awful UI/Gamespy debacle]

I doubt we'll get proper 2K3 boost dodging back but if it's not at least as good as 2K4s, [boost dodge/slope dodge/shield jumping, etc] my interest will be next to zero.
I'm rather hoping for wall-running, [Titanfall] & rocket jumping, [Q3A] too.
I don't disagree that UT3 went too far in the opposite direction. But all the bouncy floating through the air of UT2kX was just another barrier for new people to have to crash through to get good at the game. I know for a fact that I'm not the only here who sat on ReconGamer popping skulls off people who had no idea that zigzagging through the map was as good as committing suicide.

I would like to see a system where there is no double jump, single jumping is higher (and maybe a quick tap just makes you jump lower or something), dodging and wall dodging are still in, and you can slip up steep slopes again. Double jumping, dodge jumping, and especially boost jumping all add to what new people have to learn before they can even start to compete at the game.
What the hell, Brizz? Were you not campaigning only a couple of years ago to get a community effort together to do this very type of thing? You even had an extensive thread going and everything. What happened you, bro, you got menopaulzheimers or something?
That effort, along with a couple of others, is pretty much the reason why I know this will not work unless Epic has the reins tightly in hand and only listens to the community where it makes sense. This has got to be Epic's game. The community involvement should exist, but it has to play second chair to internal discussions and decisions, even if they are unpopular. Epic needs to make a fun game. If they take too much feedback from the community, it won't be a fun game.
BU frag server is coming back soon? =D
Probably. Hopefully.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
While I can agree with Brizz's doubts, I tend to be positive. It's pretty obvious that the game can't have BOTH UT and UT2004 physics, but I think once Epic sides on one default set (as a standard, with the other in mutator-form) things will go more smoothly. When it comes to visuals or music, there is far more overall agreement.
Also: it could have been worse. At least it's not split evenly between UT, UT2003, UT2004 and UT3. ;)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I would like to see a system where there is no double jump, single jumping is higher (and maybe a quick tap just makes you jump lower or something), dodging and wall dodging are still in, and you can slip up steep slopes again. Double jumping, dodge jumping, and especially boost jumping all add to what new people have to learn before they can even start to compete at the game.

Maybe core game somewhere between UT99 and UT2k4 movement. Then, a mod/gametype where extreme movement is added, ala super floaty 2k3 ult jump boost dodge jumping with maybe a little Titanfall sprinkled in. ;)

(for giggles, in my head I was imagining a game mode where we all suited up in armor like in that god-aweful GI Joe movie that gave us boosts, speed, and wall running :lol:)