New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I am kinda worry about the forum discussion thing, because it is really something unusual to use forums to collect ideas, or more likely debate, for a game like this.

That concerns me as well considering the current state of the U communities. If they go this way, it's either going to be big glowing colored players in a high fov environment without anything interesting with a high learning curve for entry and Euro-only server pro-player fantasy, or some sort of Unreal-themed Second Life for furries where a skaarj roleplay fantasy is had. Yuck.

For the game's sake they should have CliffyB back as consultant to lay the groundwork for the design document IMO. Running a free game myself, I just leave the gameplay design intact as possible. Don't fix what's not broke etc

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
pretty much what I expected, except they didn't talk about the details of how they are going to organize and manage the project.

Agreed, as I posted in the other thread...

IMO, the biggest challenges are going to be:

- scope management - tons of ideas will be coming in from the community. Having clearly defined boundaries of "this is what we will and won't do" will keep the project from becoming bloated and slipping.

- information management - again, lots of information, ideas, and thoughts will be coming from the community. Being able to successfully gather, group, prioritize, and filter will be a major challenge.

- decision making - not everything the community asks for will make it into the game, obviously. In addition, there will be things that a large percentage of the community will ask for that won't make it into the game. How does Epic manage those decisions? If half the community wants something, and the other half doesn't want it, how will Epic handle?

In the end, there will be much, much more information Epic will have to handle than any other project before. I hope they have developed a plan to manage it (and IMO, it will require a management team more than just a Sr. Programmer/Project Lead). Otherwise, this will struggle.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
First off, the game will be free. There will not be built-in microtransactions. The game will be a partnership between Epic Games and the community.

• The idea phase begins now. They will be monitoring forums and chat for ideas.
  • A wiki is in place now to help organize the process.
  • Epic is building the framework for the game and will assist in the assembly process now.
  • Unreal Engine 4 developers will be able to make use of the UE4 marketplace to either give away or sell content.
Now I'm interested........

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
EFF YEAH!
And no DRM, too!

The only thing I'm reserved about is the pricing model. As I mentioned, I'm not keen on paying $20 a month to create free content for them. The economy is supposed to work the other way round.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
I had a feeling is going to be something like this. I was going to say UT remade with the new engine. Awesome... I can't wait. Really happy, being a huge Unreal fan.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Yes, but I'm a Linux person. I don't want to sell my content.

Using Linux != strict usage rights that all content must be non-commercial.
A linux-based content producer with a UE4 subscription should still be able to own the rights to sell their own creative works.

Besides, if you wanted to take this strict Free mentality further, you wouldn't be bothering with Unreal at all.

Last edited:

~SS~

May 5, 2014
I wish they'd given it a better name. There's already an 'Unreal Tournament', and having duplicate names only leads to confusion in discussions and difficulty in future web searches. Not to mention perpetuating the use of 'UT99' for the original UT which always got on my nerves for some reason.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit pessimistic right now. Just one visit to the utforums right now shows that the community is as split, if not more, than they ever have been. Primarily, I'm going to have to see how Epic handles the most controversial topic above all right now, which is the movement system before I might start being a bit more optimistic.

I really don't envy Epic right now. They have to consciously decide that they are going to alienate part of their user base. But this could all come crashing down at the beginning if they can't handle this one. As controversial as other aspects of UT are, the movement is by far worse than anything else.

Agent4054

Jan 25, 2008
I'm not keen on paying $20 a month to create free content for them.

Keep in mind you don't HAVE to keep paying $20/month to keep using UE4. You can pay $20, and once that expires, you will still have access to all of the tools, you just won't get new updates. So technically, you could pay another $20 whenever you want the latest version.

As a game dev, this subscription plan is MUCH cheaper, easier to swallow, more accessible, etc., than buying a lump sum license, but I do agree, it kind of sucks for the general modding community.