1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, May 8, 2014.

1. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

I guess it's time to start becoming active again

2. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

That concerns me as well considering the current state of the U communities. If they go this way, it's either going to be big glowing colored players in a high fov environment without anything interesting with a high learning curve for entry and Euro-only server pro-player fantasy, or some sort of Unreal-themed Second Life for furries where a skaarj roleplay fantasy is had. Yuck.

For the game's sake they should have CliffyB back as consultant to lay the groundwork for the design document IMO. Running a free game myself, I just leave the gameplay design intact as possible. Don't fix what's not broke etc

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Agreed, as I posted in the other thread...

4. Rohit

Rohit New Member

Will you spend more time here than on the Idle Thumbs forums? ;)

Anyway, cool looking news. Looking forward to posting here a little more often.

5. Aggressor

Aggressor mutator

oh boy oh boy oh boy

6. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Now I'm interested........

7. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Engage!

8. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

EFF YEAH!
    And no DRM, too!

The only thing I'm reserved about is the pricing model. As I mentioned, I'm not keen on paying $20 a month to create free content for them. The economy is supposed to work the other way round.

9. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

They've mentioned that you could also sell content.

10. Nevzat

Nevzat Member

i dont get it. İs this gonna be web based game like quakelive or downloadable

11. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

It'll be a proper downloadable game.

12. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Yes, but I'm a Linux person. I don't want to sell my content.

13. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

And of course there's people demanding lag comp/zeroping be the basis of the netcode

14. Juguard

Juguard The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!

I had a feeling is going to be something like this. I was going to say UT remade with the new engine. Awesome... I can't wait. Really happy, being a huge Unreal fan.

15. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

Using Linux != strict usage rights that all content must be non-commercial.
    A linux-based content producer with a UE4 subscription should still be able to own the rights to sell their own creative works.

Besides, if you wanted to take this strict Free mentality further, you wouldn't be bothering with Unreal at all.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. Flak

Flak I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR

Hell to the yeah.

17. ~SS~

~SS~ New Member

I wish they'd given it a better name. There's already an 'Unreal Tournament', and having duplicate names only leads to confusion in discussions and difficulty in future web searches. Not to mention perpetuating the use of 'UT99' for the original UT which always got on my nerves for some reason.

18. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit pessimistic right now. Just one visit to the utforums right now shows that the community is as split, if not more, than they ever have been. Primarily, I'm going to have to see how Epic handles the most controversial topic above all right now, which is the movement system before I might start being a bit more optimistic.

I really don't envy Epic right now. They have to consciously decide that they are going to alienate part of their user base. But this could all come crashing down at the beginning if they can't handle this one. As controversial as other aspects of UT are, the movement is by far worse than anything else.

19. Agent4054

Agent4054 New Member

Keep in mind you don't HAVE to keep paying $20/month to keep using UE4. You can pay $20, and once that expires, you will still have access to all of the tools, you just won't get new updates. So technically, you could pay another $20 whenever you want the latest version.

As a game dev, this subscription plan is MUCH cheaper, easier to swallow, more accessible, etc., than buying a lump sum license, but I do agree, it kind of sucks for the general modding community.

20. Bloodyboy

Bloodyboy UT3 JB Mapper

Weekend Deal: Jailbreak DLC for UT2014 at 4.99€!!