Metro: Last Light

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I'm guessing I'm somewhere between one-third and half way through the game. My thoughts so far...

Pros:
-It runs better (and overall looks better) than the first. Turn off Tesselation, Physx, SSAA, but keep DX11 mode on and it's playable on Very High with a decent system.
-Pneumatic weapon pressure makes more sense now
-I enjoy the weapon animations and the smaller things like needing to wipe your gas mask to keep you engaged and busy. Combat with mutants still has a nice rhythm to it.

Cons:
-Ammo caps. I loved how in the first you could carry as much ammo as you can hoard. But, I suppose it makes sense as carrying around 900 rounds isn't very realistic... assuming realism is what they were going for?
-You probably spend the first few levels watching quicktime events more than actually playing.
-The difficulty is a joke compared to the first:
-Save for the HUD, ranger hardcore mode is about what normal or easy was in the first. Hopefully they'll increase the difficulty in a future patch like they did with the first game...
-Ammo and health is plentiful on normal difficulties. Still rather abundant on the ranger difficulties. I've found more ammo on Ranger difficulty in the first few levels than I have in the entire first game on normal.
-You don't need to rely on stealth at all for the ranger difficulties. I end up selling the post war ammo for military ammo because of how confident I'm going to still hit my ammo limit in the next few missions ahead and still not run out of post war ammo.
-The AI is absolutely oblivious. If you take out the lights (which is literally as challenging as looking around for a circuit breaker), they will never see or hear you until you step directly in front of them with their tiny field of view. I've encountered a single booby trap so far, and nothing to trip over to make noise. There was noise traps everywhere in the first one.
-It was extremely easy in the first Metro make one tiny stealthy mistake in the first and send the situation spiraling out of control. It was very difficult to pass through a segment without drawing attention to yourself. Now I can fumble about like a retard and still barely worry about being seen or heard. If I am heard or seen, I'm just a few headshots away from being alone again. I've only been seen once so far by humans and it was just me getting impatient.​

So in brief summary, I've still been enjoying it. The story has been lackluster thus far too but it's still fun. Just not as much as the first. It's officially been call of dutified.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I'm guessing I'm somewhere between one-third and half way through the game. My thoughts so far...

Pros:
-It runs better (and overall looks better) than the first. Turn off Tesselation, Physx, SSAA, but keep DX11 mode on and it's playable on Very High with a decent system.

So take away the only DX11 feature yet keep dx11 running? Might as well config file it to run dx9 in that case. If anything just turn tesselation to High as V.High doesn't increase fidelity, it only increases how far out the tesselation will render.

As for my thoughts.. I am really enjoying the game. My only gripe is that it has hard crashed twice on me.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
So take away the only DX11 feature yet keep dx11 running? Might as well config file it to run dx9 in that case.
Yes, turn off DX11 features but don't switch to DX9. It was true that in 2033 that switching to DX9 boosted your framerate regardless of settings but that's not the case this time.

Try it for yourself.
1. Run fraps and Metro in DX11
2. Turn off the SSAA and tessellation completely
3. Load last chapter and don't move. Observe what your framerate settles as.
4. Quit and switch to DX9
5. Repeat step 3. It's usually about a 20% drop

People reporting the game running better in DX9 are the people who are gaining performance from the DX11 features being removed. When settings are apples-to-apples, DX11 definitely triumphs. At least, on Nvidia hardware. I don't know about ATI yet.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I still need to finish Metro 2033.

Same here. I got stuck in one section where I keep getting killed without the resources to save my arse. It sort of stalled me there on the game play.

I did like Metro 2033 for the atmosphere and concept... I probably will get around to Last Light somewhere down the track.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yes, turn off DX11 features but don't switch to DX9. It was true that in 2033 that switching to DX9 boosted your framerate regardless of settings but that's not the case this time.

Try it for yourself.
1. Run fraps and Metro in DX11
2. Turn off the SSAA and tessellation completely
3. Load last chapter and don't move. Observe what your framerate settles as.
4. Quit and switch to DX9
5. Repeat step 3. It's usually about a 20% drop

People reporting the game running better in DX9 are the people who are gaining performance from the DX11 features being removed. When settings are apples-to-apples, DX11 definitely triumphs. At least, on Nvidia hardware. I don't know about ATI yet.

Strange I never experienced a gain when switching to DX9 in 2033. I always factored in the stupid performance due to the unoptimized V.High light shaft effects. Last Light doesn't seem to have those effects even at similar settings, and the settings list is quite similar.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Just got home and gave a copy from Redbox to my son. He's pumped about it and said this was a really good game. That's quite a compliment coming from him.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Just finished the game. Excellent overall. One of the few games I felt compelled to finish...well worth the time and money.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
is anyone else still playing this?

I got around to starting Metro Last Light this week.
and it's incredible.

not just the atmosphere and the pretty colors.
the physics and sound effects and weapon handling are extremely satisfying. I've only put in like 4 hours but this might be the best FPS I've played in years. I'm getting strong Half Life 2 vibes but with even better storytelling and scripted events that feel slightly more natural. or at least more enjoyable.

my rig can handle the visuals @ "High" with High tessellation.
I can squeeze out Very High but I'd have to lower tessellation. otherwise it runs very well on this quad-core with 6gigs RAM, ATI.

really enjoying Metro LL. like, a lot.
game of the year? anyone?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
is anyone else still playing this?

I got around to starting Metro Last Light this week.
and it's incredible.

not just the atmosphere and the pretty colors.
the physics and sound effects and weapon handling are extremely satisfying. I've only put in like 4 hours but this might be the best FPS I've played in years. I'm getting strong Half Life 2 vibes but with even better storytelling and scripted events that feel slightly more natural. or at least more enjoyable.

my rig can handle the visuals @ "High" with High tessellation.
I can squeeze out Very High but I'd have to lower tessellation. otherwise it runs very well on this quad-core with 6gigs RAM, ATI.

really enjoying Metro LL. like, a lot.
game of the year? anyone?

I wouldn't say game of the year but I did enjoy it just as much as Metro2033. Kinda annoyed that I appeared to be making all the right choices but i still received the "bad" ending. Another play through will be in order but not for a bit.

Game ran pretty well on my 670 for the most part.. some outdoor sections did bog a little but nothing under 35 from what I could tell. At least I didn't have to put up with anymore sub 20's when looking at pretty light shafts.

The stealth I am kinda mixed on. It was hugely satisfying when sneaking up on someone with the knife and getting a successful kill, but at the same time the line of sight of enemies when you are merely 3 feet away from them in a dark corner was pretty silly.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
so I finished Last Light awhile ago, really enjoyed it about as much as I had from the start. probably not Game of the Year but very satisfying FPS mechanics regarding the weapons and physics and enemies; some of the best I've ever seen really. the flow from human to monster enemies worked really well and their unique challenges felt pretty fair whether you tried to be stealth or Rambo. good AI all around. the FPS bullseye was really a combination of the sound effects and 'feel' of each weapon. very distinctive and realistic handling. the smoke, the kick, the haze, the ricochet.

the story was even enjoyable enough to get me to buy Metro 2033 purely to find out what happened and why I chased a baby monster for half of Last Light.
I can honestly say that Metro 2033 is one of the worst FPS I've ever played.

almost as good as Last Light has been, that's how much I dislike 2033.
everything that worked in LL feels broken in 33.

first of all you can't see shit. everything is black. playing 33 feels like playing a game where the object is to find off-black dots in a field of large, jagged, black shapes. it's almost impossible to see anyone or anything that isn't under a direct light source regardless of how many other lights are in the area or the reflective properties of any surface. unless an enemy sticks his head above the horizon-line of a light source, you'll almost never see them until they're upon you or shooting.

I tried turning the gamma all the way up and it only made the black shapes blacker while turning regular lamps into the fucking surface of the sun.

you've still got a flashlight but once you turn it on, everyone and their mother can see you and will start shooting. so you've also still got night vision goggles, but wearing them all the time makes everything GREEN and hurts your [real-life] eyes. plus the goggles will distort the brightness of smoke effects when firing any weapon that isn't suppressed which makes it almost impossible to see after the first shot. the goggles also do not work with any weapons that have a scope or optical sight because they distort brightness coming through the lens.

oh but enemies can see you no problem. obviously.
stealth is almost impossible to maintain in 33 compared to LL.

once any enemy in the level is alerted (which can happen despite the use of suppressed weapons and no other shots being fired), almost everyone else in the level is alerted too. and in alert mode they will be able to spot you in almost any lighting condition.

let's see. what else.
- when hidden, they begin firing as I come around the corner even in a stealth suit with no lights on. they know when the player is moving and begin attacking before they are visible to the player.
- the shotgun sometimes reloads with 5 shells. and sometimes it reloads with 6. it supposed to hold 6. why stop at 5? inexplicable. sometimes (when empty) you press or hold 'reload' and it only reloads to 4 and stops. you have to press it again for it to fill back up to 6 (or 5 sometimes...)
- the shotgun does not hurt. you shoot some men or monsters point blank in the upper chest and they barely stagger, let alone fall over and die with their guts spilling out because you just unloaded buckshot into their chest not 1.5 feet away. yeah that makes sense.
- headshots do not hurt. suddenly 95% of headshots just knock off the guys helmet or seemingly ricochet off of his shoulder. sometimes the enemy staggers, stunned at the surprise of what just happened (makes perfect sense) giving you the opportunity to simply put another round in his skull. sometimes the enemy immediately spins around 180 degrees and opens fire alerting everyone in the area. ok. sure. why not.
- the voiceover is TERRIBLE. the guy who narrates the story is awful. I don't know how else to say it. it was so noticeable after the pleasant narration of Last Light.

did I mention this might be the worst FPS I've ever played?
right after I said that Last Light might have been game of the year.

I don't even want to finish it. I don't care about the story anymore.
the game is bad.

end rant.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
first of all you can't see shit. everything is black. playing 33 feels like playing a game where the object is to find off-black dots in a field of large, jagged, black shapes. it's almost impossible to see anyone or anything that isn't under a direct light source regardless of how many other lights are in the area or the reflective properties of any surface. unless an enemy sticks his head above the horizon-line of a light source, you'll almost never see them until they're upon you or shooting.
You're under Moscow in the metro. The majority of which is candle lit. Have you ever been underground or in deep wilderness? It's pretty normal to not be able to see jack shit. Just like Doom 3, it's part of the games mechanics. Besides, it wasn't that much harder to see people in the original. I think you need to calibrate your monitor beyond the gamma setting or stop sitting so far away from your HDTV.

you've still got a flashlight but once you turn it on, everyone and their mother can see you and will start shooting.
Makes sense? It's pretty easy to spot all the enemies in the game using flashlights. Why would you be an exception?
so you've also still got night vision goggles, but wearing them all the time makes everything GREEN and hurts your [real-life] eyes. plus the goggles will distort the brightness of smoke effects when firing any weapon that isn't suppressed which makes it almost impossible to see after the first shot. the goggles also do not work with any weapons that have a scope or optical sight because they distort brightness coming through the lens.

oh but enemies can see you no problem. obviously.
Again, this is all a mix of realism and difficulty. If you're shooting a weapon with a large muzzle flash with night vision, it can be pretty blinding. You're not up against a bunch of retards, most of the enemies you're fighting are supposed to be deadly and trained soldiers. I'm pretty sure if you were raised the darkness of the metro, bred and governed by a ex-spetsnaz or nazis, you'd be pretty friggen good at firefights in the dark.

stealth is almost impossible to maintain in 33 compared to LL.

once any enemy in the level is alerted (which can happen despite the use of suppressed weapons and no other shots being fired), almost everyone else in the level is alerted too. and in alert mode they will be able to spot you in almost any lighting condition.
You are clearly spoiled by Last Light. Sorry the game didn't let you walk anywhere you want without being seen until you're literally taking a shit directly in front of them. If nobody shot at you and nobody hit an alarm, you can definitely finish entire levels without a damn person knowing you were there. It's hard as fuck in 2033 but it's possible and that's why I think it's better. I was so fucking clumsy in Last Light and I'm still almost never seen or heard. It was more enjoyable simply because of how hilarious it was in contrast. It also doesn't always matter if shots are fired but whether or not anybody saw the person go down or spots the body. If my buddy Yegor falls face down on the ground in a pool of blood, I think I would yell to my squad. I think it would echo pretty far in a metro too. There's also situations where they don't yell anything but simply just take cover and the rest of the squad does so accordingly. You know, sort of like what most squads do in stealth situations and their hand signals? Last Light is retarded in the sense that you can have a massive fire fight in one room and down the hall in the next room the people going about their business like they didn't hear a damn thing.

"Hey Boris, that sounded like a solid two minutes of nearly continuous gunfire and hysterical screaming. Should we go and check and see if the boys are okay?"
"Nah"
"Okay, I'll just let my guard completely down again."

Sure games can't be 100% realistic, that's what makes them games. Everyone has their opinion on how hard a game should be and how much of a challenge they want out of their enterainment. To me, Last Light was just a step in the direction of the cowa dooty plague where there are no consequences, just gun and run and wait for your koolaid vision to cool off. One step closer to "PUSH X TO WIN"

let's see. what else.
- when hidden, they begin firing as I come around the corner even in a stealth suit with no lights on. they know when the player is moving and begin attacking before they are visible to the player.
First of all, what "stealth suit" are you talking about? Second, they are way more sensitive to noise in the first. There is plenty of garbage on the ground and intentional noise traps. The amount of noise you make with your footsteps also varies depending on the surface you're walking on. The enemies are more than happy to blindly fire into the source of noise in 2033. All of this shit was removed in Last Light to make stealth ez peezy. You can still be heard when crouching, unlike in Last Light which makes you apparently completely silent when crawling around with 100 pounds of military gear.

- the shotgun sometimes reloads with 5 shells. and sometimes it reloads with 6. it supposed to hold 6. why stop at 5? inexplicable. sometimes (when empty) you press or hold 'reload' and it only reloads to 4 and stops. you have to press it again for it to fill back up to 6 (or 5 sometimes...)
This is the result of post-war technology. The way the gun is chambered only allows up to 5 rounds depending on when you started reloading. If you want all six, you need to figure out the right time to add rounds. It's a nice little detail for more advanced players that can keep track of their shots and also find it vital to frequently have that extra round for sticky situations. It also accentuates the contrast between post-war and pre-war weapons.

- the shotgun does not hurt. you shoot some men or monsters point blank in the upper chest and they barely stagger, let alone fall over and die with their guts spilling out because you just unloaded buckshot into their chest not 1.5 feet away. yeah that makes sense.
They're supposed to be tough as fuck so thus the stun chance is supposed to be 30% or something like that, I never actually looked it up for the exact number. You're shooting fucking angry, feral monsters with very hard skin. You're supposed to feel threatened and challenged by them. You're not hunting fuzzy rabbits, sorry they don't gib for you.

- headshots do not hurt. suddenly 95% of headshots just knock off the guys helmet or seemingly ricochet off of his shoulder. sometimes the enemy staggers, stunned at the surprise of what just happened (makes perfect sense) giving you the opportunity to simply put another round in his skull. sometimes the enemy immediately spins around 180 degrees and opens fire alerting everyone in the area. ok. sure. why not.
One of the few things they didn't remove in Last Light? The heavy armor soldiers don't die from headshots because they're supposedly wearing armored helmets. In Last Light all you needed to do was chuck a throwing knife at them which is a guaranteed take down, regardless of where you land your knife. In the first you need to actually land the knife in a critical spot for an instant takedown or you need to land multiple headshots before they can react and return fire. Fuuuuuck, a game making me aim precisely and quickly?
- the voiceover is TERRIBLE. the guy who narrates the story is awful. I don't know how else to say it. it was so noticeable after the pleasant narration of Last Light.
I can probably agree with this. However, I didn't think it was improved much in Last Light. They are both awful.