Metro: Last Light

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
You're under Moscow in the metro. The majority of which is candle lit.
yeah I don't care.

it's still a video game. you need to help the player out a little if you're going to create AI enemies who can see anything in pitch black. because human eyes don't work that way. if I wanted absolute realism in 2033, I'd expect that at some point you'd also have to pause from killing metro monsters to take a piss and eat a sandwich.

but you don't. because it's a game.
I get it. we're underground. it's dim. but it's not 100% candle light. there's plenty of large flood lights at different areas but they fail to illuminate anything other than what is directly below them (which is not how light works).

it's beside the point though, because the atmosphere is the same in Metro Last Light.
and in Last Light I didn't have the vision problems that I have in 2033. in 2033, the brightness/contrast levels are just completely screwed. in Last Light the balance is MUCH MUCH better.

Makes sense? It's pretty easy to spot all the enemies in the game using flashlights. Why would you be an exception?
I never said it didn't make sense.
what I said is that it renders the flashlight useless.

Again, this is all a mix of realism and difficulty.
right.
and the particular mix that is found in Metro 2033 is terrible.

You are clearly spoiled by Last Light.
yes Sherlock.
that was kinda the premise of the original post :p

It's hard as fuck in 2033
but it's not hard as fuck.
it's just blatantly unrealistic.

I enjoy a challenge in my games as much as the next guy.
but this is not a difficulty curve. this is an unfair gameplay curve.

all of your enemies can see in the dark much easier than you can. for monsters it makes sense, but the protag should be at least as well adjusted as the other humans. but he's not. and human enemies do not die when you shoot them point blank with a shotgun. sometimes they don't even die when you shoot them in the head. I'm certainly not the only one who noticed this crap.

this review @ Destrucoid sums up my thoughts perfectly.
http://www.destructoid.com/not-review-metro-2033-168418.phtml

First of all, what "stealth suit" are you talking about?
the one you can buy in the Armory.

did we play the same game?

The enemies are more than happy to blindly fire into the source of noise in 2033.
right, but the point is that they blind-fire even when you're not making ANY noise.

what happens is this.
gunfight starts. I pop a guy and run to another hiding spot to try and circle around the other guys.
but the other guys who convene seem to know exactly where I went to hide and they're opening fire AS I ROUND the corner, before I even reveal myself. it's like clockwork. you can hear them begin to fire as you begin to move to the edge of the corner.

how?
I guess I didn't realize the extent of their telepathic abilities :rolleyes:

All of this shit was removed in Last Light to make stealth ez peezy.
yeah.
or to put it another way.

all of this shit was rebalanced in Last Light to make it enjoyable.

This is the result of post-war technology. The way the gun is chambered only allows up to 5 rounds depending on when you started reloading. If you want all six, you need to figure out the right time to add rounds. It's a nice little detail for more advanced players that can keep track of their shots and also find it vital to frequently have that extra round for sticky situations. It also accentuates the contrast between post-war and pre-war weapons.
ok that's just dumb.
I fail to see the realism or logic in any of that.

because it really doesn't explain why a shotgun that can hold 6 shells doesn't always hold 6 shells especially if you're reloading the weapon from empty. if it's empty then you can always fit 6 shells back in. the chamber is clear. randomly loading to 4 or 5 is completely inexplicable to anyone who knows anything about firearms.

They're supposed to be tough as fuck so thus the stun chance is supposed to be 30% or something like that, I never actually looked it up for the exact number. You're shooting fucking angry, feral monsters with very hard skin.
I call bullshit.

you ignored the fact that HUMANS also behave like the monsters.
they take buckshot to the chest or head and often barely stagger let alone die.

and I don't care how tough the monster's skin is.
even the small ones can often survive a direct blast without so much as pausing in their wild, flailing arms attack pattern. the thickness of one's skin does not make one impervious to the laws of physics.

In the first you need to actually land the knife in a critical spot for an instant takedown or you need to land multiple headshots before they can react and return fire. Fuuuuuck, a game making me aim precisely and quickly?
yeah. that explains the throwing knives.
but I never questioned the throwing knives...

I questioned headshots with a gun.
when you shoot someone in the head with a bullet, they usually don't return fire.

in 2033 I made sure to consistently aim for the area of the head just below the helmet. no matter how close I am, it still seems to only trigger a generic hitbox which causes the helmet to fly off. you're telling me that amongst all the weak post-war technology that ONLY their helmets retain the kind of strength of pre-war technology?

nonsense.
even the shotgun (which sprays pellets, so it wouldn't matter which area of the head you're aiming for) fails to kill a HUMAN in a single blast from point-blank range.

this is not difficulty or a learning curve.
this is some BS.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Why does anyone ever try to drive home any points with you? Have you ever changed your mind about anything anyone has ever said on this forum? You're literally taking desctructoid and your opinions and using them as proof that the game sucks. You are so bitter about your experience with it that I honestly believe you would rationalize the game being awful in any way you can. I think Mario games are the most awful, boring, cash-grab experiences one can have. But, I don't call them undoubtly garbage and fail to see why others like them or find them so fantastic.

The exact same reason the political threads on this forum is a big joke. It just turns into justification and name calling. It's just a big circlejerk of I'M RITE YUR WRONG ANYTHING I DON'T BELIEVE IN IS DUM AND HERE'S WHY

Why even bother debating with people if you are vehemently against seeing things in a different light? (no pun intended)

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
if you didn't want to debate points... why did you start debating me point for point?
you questioned my complaints with the game... so I elaborated on them.

now you're upset? I don't understand.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Trying to debate with Jacks is like trying to persuade the alligator not to munch your head because you were just simply having a nice cool off swim. It ain't happening.

Anywho I will add my 2 cents to this. I agree with Jacks on 2033's stealth.. it was just plain bad. There is a reason why I don't have those cheevos yet. On the same token I believe LL's stealth is equally bad just because it made the AI out to be blind goombas. As for the 6 shell shotgun comment, I have noticed after he loads around 4-5 shells he will pull a handle. After that I was able to load the remaining shell or shells depending on when I decided to reload. I never had him not completely load the thing.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Trying to debate with Jacks is like trying to persuade the alligator not to munch your head because you were just simply having a nice cool off swim. It ain't happening.

Anywho I agree with Jacks

priceless!

but I dunno why everyone's so quick to be offended.
isn't this the purpose of a forum?

I said my piece.
he said his piece which questioned mine.
so I replied.
now he's all pissed off.

...ok?
I guess I missed something.