Borderlands 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I wonder how they're gonna know exactly who abused it and who didn't
One guy said he got 7 Golden keys by joining friends' games
And supposedly there's an exploit that allows unlimited GoldenChest opening without even having any keys
And then there's talk of a way to get that INI exploit to work again, but dunno if it works and don't really care

It kinda doesn't matter much since there's already modded savegames available

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Back from the dead! (Yeah, I still lurk here on occasion, but never really post anymore. I'm surprised I remembered my login. :p)

I'm going to add to what Mozi was saying a little bit for your guys. I'll detail my job on the Borderlands franchise if you guys are interested. Sometimes it's cool to see what people have been up to lately. I'll use spoiler tags.

Borderlands 1:

I came onto this project fairly late in development as I was working on other things at the company for a while. Most of the levels had already been mostly completed but there was a lot of scripting type stuff left to be done. My main responsibility was Arid. I created all the scripting for the into sequence with Claptrap as well as much of the mission stuff in and around Fyrestone. I did all of the bug fixing and level optimization for the whole Arid zone as well as a lot of bug fixing for Skag Gully and a few other smaller maps.

General Knoxx:

This was the first Borderlands project I really got to built maps for from scratch. I made the two long road maps that connect the hub town to the zones at each end. I built Crawmerax's arena. I did some misc work in the zone maps but other designers build most of the playable space. I pretty much built all of the skyboxes for all of the maps in the DLC. I did most of the side-missions in all of the maps. I was pretty damn busy.

Borderlands 2:

I almost exclusively did visual and layout design work for this project. I didn't really do any scripting at all. I would make the geometry but tag-team the combat and mission scripting with other designers like Mozi. I made Frostburn Canyon, Thousand Cuts, Terramorphous Peak, Sawtooth Cauldron, Arid Boneyard, Arid Nexus, and Hero's Pass. Another designer did the grey-box layout for Hero's Pass, but I made it pretty. I did a lot of little misc tasks in other maps like polishing up little forgotten corners, bug fixing, and implementing the day-night cycle scripting. At the end of the day, I think my favorite map to work on was Sawtooth Cauldron.

Feel free to ask about design process or anything else. I haven't been here in a while but this place used to be a fairly vibrant mapper community and if you guys are still interested in that as it relates to Borderlands, I'd be happy to answer some questions. :)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Feel free to ask about design process or anything else.

You make it sound like you made half the game yourself. How big is the team? How the hell was the golden key exploit overlooked and what are they gonna do about it?

Also wtf is Raid damage added to melee attacks on some shields? Is that just a fancy way of saying extra damage?

Last edited:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
Ha, I was one of maybe 15ish designers. For BL2, the level design team mostly split our disciplines to allow each one of us to better focus on specific things. There were maybe 5 or 6 of us that did mostly visual design and level building, 8 or 9 more that did mostly scripting and combat, and 2 or 3 guys that did some of both.

I just happened to do a proportionately large amount of maps because I was on the project for so long and because I was focused on layout and visual design.

Then we had another design department working on making enemies, skills, weapons, interactive objects, etc. Most of these guys come from a level design background.

Also wtf is Raid damage added to melee attacks on some shields? Is that just a fancy way of saying extra damage?

I think so. I not entirely familiar with all the stats you find on the items so that might be wrong.

How the hell was the golden key exploit overlooked and what are they gonna do about it?

Things slip through the cracks sometimes. Think of it this way: Gearbox and 2K both have dedicated QA teams and they find a lot of bugs. But those QA teams are small relative to the public. When you release a game into the wild, from a QA perspective it's like your QA team is now several million strong and many many more glitches and bugs are found. A good example of this is dragons flying backwards in Skyrim. This was a relatively rare bug and it's no surprise that Bethesda and their QA staff didn't catch it before release. When suddenly millions of gamers get their hands on the game, rare bugs like this are found. It was the same for us with the Golden Keys glitch.

And I think it's been patched already. Last night when I played from home, Steam updated my game with the fix. And though we've plugged the hole, we aren't going to punish people who used the exploit.

Last edited:

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Feel free to ask about design process or anything else. I haven't been here in a while but this place used to be a fairly vibrant mapper community and if you guys are still interested in that as it relates to Borderlands, I'd be happy to answer some questions. :)

I wondered if the Crawmerax and Atlas Vault exploits in General Knoxx were left in on purpose. If so, thanks ;)

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
I wondered if the Crawmerax and Atlas Vault exploits in General Knoxx were left in on purpose. If so, thanks ;)

The Craw glitch is my fault. I didn't know you could hide in that little spot on the cliff edge. It's one of those little things players who farm the boss have a better chance of finding than the developer. :p

The Atlas Vault glitch is another unintentional error as far as I know. Another designer made the area.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
The Craw glitch is my fault. I didn't know you could hide in that little spot on the cliff edge. It's one of those little things players who farm the boss have a better chance of finding than the developer. :p

The Atlas Vault glitch is another unintentional error as far as I know. Another designer made the area.

here's a couple thinks I noticed playing BL2, maybe you can confirm that.

In Dr. Neds' office there's a guy talking about his stomach being like goat cheese. Is this voiced by the guy who voiced Vegeta from DragonballZ?

Also, the Catch a ride logo is inspired by these guys(see attachment) ?

Also, did you guys leave Star Trek TOS tricorders lying about everywhere?

there was some other stuff which I forgot already about... : /

Attachments

• swarm.jpg
    swarm.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 24

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
here's a couple thinks I noticed playing BL2, maybe you can confirm that.

In Dr. Neds' office there's a guy talking about his stomach being like goat cheese. Is this voiced by the guy who voiced Vegeta from DragonballZ?

Also, the Catch a ride logo is inspired by these guys(see attachment) ?

Also, did you guys leave Star Trek TOS tricorders lying about everywhere?

there was some other stuff which I forgot already about... : /

Haha good find! I am not sure. I always saw his sign to be a cross between a skaag and a rakk.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Man, what is up with those Golden Keys? I keep getting them. I currently have 6, haven't used one yet. Is it random? It seems I get them quite frequently. Is that normal for anyone else?
There seems to be a bug going around with Shift where it just keeps granting keys over and over

Speaking of Golden keys, GBX isn't going to do anything about users that exploited the INI bug, so if you opted to take advantage, you can resume breathing

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I got two legit keys from pre-ordering on amazon and then registering in-game with shift. I'll use one key at level 50 and save the other for a level cap increase.