Epic Games Announces: Fortnite

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
So raise your hand if you were butt hurt over what Epic is making and if you feel that you were betrayed.

That will depend on whether or not its another half arsed mess.;)

M^uL

Nov 16, 2009
The biggest thing for me about UT3 is it just seemed soulless. I think the campaign idea took out the core of what UT is (a tournament :)). Beautiful graphics but in the end as lifeless as demo guy himself. The only thing that kept me playing it were HOLP maps and custom chars.

One other very simple thing: When the game came out, I tried to get several friends to play it. Number one complaint? "You die too quickly. It just feels like I'm dying all of the time". And for that we can thank Jeff Morris for his "zero time to spectacle". Zero time for enjoyment for new players more like.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
You die a lot quicker in the CoD's and CoD-likes so I doubt that's the problem.

Unreal Tournament's gameplay is just a league of its own and if you approach it like a regular shooter you get killed. Simple as. After a while the game just seems incredibly mindless as none of the clever tactics you usually use in your shooters have any effect but jumping around wildly and spamming weapons that are hard to hit with does. If you don't get it the game feels stupid.

At least that's the reason why people I know dislike the game. CoD, on the other hand, is instantly accessible. You may not do really well immediately (although matchmaking even helps with that, nowadays) but at least you get what you're supposed to do and how you're supposed to play the game.

I think the stupid campaign in UT3 made matters worse as it didn't stress the futuristic blood-sport angle at all and just pretended UT3 was a regular shooter, playing with the expectations of regular shooter fans, but alienating them with UT gameplay!

The same game, same maps, same gameplay, same bugs even (!), with a Tournament-themed singleplayer mode and a Tournament-themed multiplayer-mode with some kind of permanent progression system (even with nothing but cosmetic unlocks, like in Halo: Reach) would have done much, much better!
It certainly didn't help that UT3 didn't have the community features it needed to ease people into the game (and keep them).

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Epic royally fucked up when it comes to patching UE3 games
As far as I can remember, patches for 2k4 were usually around 12MB
UT3, they're 200+

MondayNightCombat(UE3): 200+MB
Section 8/S8: Prejudice(both UE3): 200+(I think some were 5-700MB)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
What if we want both Fortnite and eventually a new UT done right?

I don't know if I do want another UT game. We have 3.5 already (UT 2003 was a weird one). I still think I'm happy with UT and UT2K4 so perhaps, as far as UT goes, we're done.

Do people want to buy games just on the strength of new tech? People are playing UT which is 10 years old now.

I wold play a Samaritan if it ever gets off the table and into proper development.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
This game sounds Gay.
If I don't get to kill things in the daylight then what's the point?
Epic just needs to sell all their assets, and retire.
Game Over.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
One other very simple thing: When the game came out, I tried to get several friends to play it. Number one complaint? "You die too quickly. It just feels like I'm dying all of the time". And for that we can thank Jeff Morris for his "zero time to spectacle". Zero time for enjoyment for new players more like.
That's the nature of the UT series, it's not a simple army guy game and if you're not decent at moving and predicting already, you're going to die a lot until you're able to understand the core game play. It may not be the most enjoyable thing when a player is new but once they figure it out, they'll start to enjoy the intricacies of UT3 and the rest of the UT series. I'm glad they didn't dumb down the core gameplay, I love how fast a match can turn with one wrong move. None of this silly stand still or duck behind the chest high walls shit. If you want to try that in UT, you're going to die really damn fast.

A

ambershee_holiday

This point could be addressed in a jiffy. Just do an automatic patch check every time you open the server browser. Every MMO has it nowadays.

A simple "A new patch for UT# is ready to download. Note that you can't play online if you don't install it." Yes - dl and install it ; No - return to offline play.

No more network compatilibilty issues.

That doesn't work when everything you have is hosted on 3rd party servers that are out of your control. It works for MMOs because they update everything concurrenty and have absolute control over it. Same deal with Xbox Live etc. The PC is different because it's the players who control the servers.

Epic royally fucked up when it comes to patching UE3 games
As far as I can remember, patches for 2k4 were usually around 12MB
UT3, they're 200+

MondayNightCombat(UE3): 200+MB
Section 8/S8: Prejudice(both UE3): 200+(I think some were 5-700MB)

It's the same system (binary difference patching), games and their patches are just plain bigger. Change a map file in 2k4, it's a 6mb file. Change a map file in UT3 it's a 60mb file.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That doesn't work when everything you have is hosted on 3rd party servers that are out of your control. It works for MMOs because they update everything concurrenty and have absolute control over it. Same deal with Xbox Live etc. The PC is different because it's the players who control the servers.
I still think it would work. At the very least, you could tie the "master server" to a patch level and if your game is not at that patch level you don't get the benefits of the master server. If they don't, they can build their own community around their server manually. The reality is that most players want a working, mostly bug free game. The ones that don't shouldn't be advertising their servers inside the game.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
UT3 died a death also because of a severe lack of community support and interest.
The fact that the game lost it's soul somewhere along the line during development didn't help.
Add to that just general bad vibes about the gameplay etc from just about everyone and that effectively sealed the franchise's fate.

I need to see a bit more of Fortnight before I give a subjective opinion of what I think about it.