Community UT2k4 "Clone" Underway

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
That's one thing going against it... and tbh as Ambersee pointed out... Not doing a UT clone on Unreal engine is the biggest indication of how poorly thought out this project is.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
LoL/HoN/DOTA2 is taking over the competitive scene, there's no more room for fps games. They just way more evolved in features and way more accessible (Can play against people from around the world and stand a chance even with 250 latency. Also the developers actually fund and organize the tournaments.

It's like everyone is trying to reinvent the wooden wheel with fps games.

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
You could play with 250 ping using zeroping type stuff... which wasn't perfect... but hardly an excuse. whether I can go up against people in Japan or not isn't exactly my top criteria for choosing which game to play... FPS are simply far more demanding to remain at a high level competitively consistently... there are so many variables.

I think it's funny that people see games like UT as mainly about reviving competitive scenes... it is so much more fun as a shits and giggles game....

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
For me the pinnacle of fun in UT is actually playing with everyone who is on a high level and competitive. It's a very different game to those who have mastered it. To those who aren't that great at the game, I'm sure playing casually suits you for iggles of giggles too. If UT is done right, it will be competetive again. Will it take legions away from war shooters? Probably not. It's a sci-fi shooter and the genre is niche and always will be.

Back on topic... the poster is friends with zEh or friends of zEh / hWnd then I have to chuckle. You guys know that dude is one of the most famous cheaters / hackers in the game who has sabotaged many a online games, compromised servers, etc?

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I have "mastered" the series in various capacities so no need to pretend that you understand better than me what UT really is. It IS a very different game when you become competitive though you are right about that - notice I didn't say otherwise. But I've played in both capacities and in hindsight it wasn't worth getting into competitively, as it ruins it for being anything else when you're done. I mean, what is the point where you can easily beat any one of your friends, it kind of loses its charm for pubs. Some people enjoy playing the same maps on pubs day in day out for a year just to flex their epenis, but it is extremely stupid and drives others away from the game.

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
I have "mastered" the series in various capacities so no need to pretend that you understand better than me what UT really is.

I never acted or pretended like I understood better than you what UT "really is" as you put it. Notice I said FOR ME what I thought UT is. I was just making a general statement about a lot of people who HAVEN'T played in the highly competitive end. Try reading what I say before jumping to hasty conclusions. :rolleyes:

It IS a very different game when you become competitive though you are right about that - notice I didn't say otherwise. But I've played in both capacities and in hindsight it wasn't worth getting into competitively, as it ruins it for being anything else when you're done. I mean, what is the point where you can easily beat any one of your friends, it kind of loses its charm for pubs. Some people enjoy playing the same maps on pubs day in day out for a year just to flex their epenis, but it is extremely stupid and drives others away from the game.

Pity it ruins it for you, as I an still have fun pubbing even if its not always with people at my skill level if I'm playing with buddies and just kicking back. Though I don't do it to flex epeen, it's just harder for me to enjoy the gameplay style of any other fps as I do UT, regardless of capacity.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Ah jeez.

I was trying to say Unreal North have been good friends with BU over the years. I wasn't implying any sort of relationship with anyone affiliated with this particular project.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Then the question is how do you feel about these people who are involved in the project considering their history?

Do I like cheating?

Well, no.

Look, I wasn't involved in any of the competitive scene other than occasionally writing a story about an event or reading an anecdote here or there so I know no specifics regarding the individuals involved. The name rings a bell, but that's all.

I ran across enough cheaters in my days pubbing to know that they're incredibly disruptive and annoying, but my UT experience centers more around fun and casual play, community events, and the creative side of the game - level design, mapping, modding. Not aimbots or cheats.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I ran across enough cheaters in my days pubbing to know that they're incredibly disruptive and annoying, but my UT experience centers more around fun and casual play, community events, and the creative side of the game - level design, mapping, modding. Not aimbots or cheats.
Same here.

The whole "pro" mentality gaming thing that grew up around the first few generations of online multiplayer (particularly since UT/UT2K4, Team Fortress, CS and Quake 3; think Punkbuster) I found pretty tedious.

Apart from aimbotting and cheaters you forgot to mention the planet wide griefing population..... yeah; boring.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I never acted or pretended like I understood better than you what UT "really is" as you put it. Notice I said FOR ME what I thought UT is. I was just making a general statement about a lot of people who HAVEN'T played in the highly competitive end. Try reading what I say before jumping to hasty conclusions. :rolleyes:

It's a common vibe from those who play the series competitively that somehow you haven't really played UT til you've done so competitively. Your post was right along those lines.

I made a comment that I preferred playing for ****s and giggles. Your remark directly after was "To those who aren't that great at the game, I'm sure playing casually suits you for iggles of giggles too" - if that wasn't making an assumption about my experience, then it isn't my reading comprehension in question but your own ability to word things clearly the way you supposedly meant them.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I think it's funny that people see games like UT as mainly about reviving competitive scenes... it is so much more fun as a shits and giggles game....

It's fun both ways. Organized competitive games feel like you're participating in an intense cybersport. Teams are draft-picked, people get on voice comm, there are position assignments and plays to be made, etc. It's much better than playing disorganized games on public servers IMHO.