Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I think the IDT5 engine can do large environments, but only with loading between areas, like Borderlands did.

Makes sense to upgrade something that can do truly open-world games with all the persistence than try and hack some magical code into a new engine.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I didn't even know what Elder Scrolls was before I finished Fallout 3 a few years ago. only after someone explained to me that it was like Fallout but in "Lord of the Rings style" did I give it a try. and I only played Oblivion, so I can't comment on Morrowind or any of the earlier titles.

I honestly found Oblivion to be extremely boring. seems like the majority of my play time was spent navigating chat windows or traveling between locations. in my opinion, the whole first-person RPG concept works a lot better with guns (ala Fallout) than it does with melee weapons. there's a reason that fantasy RPG's are usually 3rd person.

but I like to keep an open mind.
if the adventure is grand enough, maybe ES 5 will be more enjoyable.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Honestly guys you are over exaggerating with the "GameByro is buggy" thing. I've logged about 50 hours in New Vegas and I've had 2 crashes.

Past versions of it have been slow and buggy but it has improved a lot since then.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Personally it's not that I find it buggy, just iffy looking. Yeah, obviously art design is separate from the engine, but I'd be really glad if they scrapped the current character system and came up with a new one from scratch. The characters and armor/weapons in oblivion is always what I refer to when mentioning how western rpg's often have terrible art.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gamebryo is horrible. It's really not overexaggerating.

Oblivion got boring really fast for me, despite loving Morrowind. Hopefully Skyrim will be more Morrowind and less Oblivion.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It has map travel. You can doubleclick on a location to teleport there.
yeah I know.

I'm talking about having to travel within a location that you're already at.
there were a lot of quests that required going back n' forth between two places within the same general area; close enough that you don't need to fast-travel but far enough that it was just a pain in the ass.

it was just very poor design.
like you could fast-travel to the village with the quest marker. but once you got there you had to wait through another 2-3 loading screens before you actually got to the NPC or quest target.

you think they would have learned, but Fallout games had the same problem; even as recently as New Vegas.
you can fast-travel anywhere, sure. but the person or item that you actually need is buried deep within a building that takes another 10 mins of walking to get to. it's ridiculous.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Gamebryo is horrible. It's really not overexaggerating.

Oblivion got boring really fast for me, despite loving Morrowind. Hopefully Skyrim will be more Morrowind and less Oblivion.

I've never played Morrowind, but hear this a lot from the people who have. Personally I got bored of Oblivion pretty quickly too - what is it about Morrowind that makes it so much better?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I've never played Morrowind, but hear this a lot from the people who have. Personally I got bored of Oblivion pretty quickly too - what is it about Morrowind that makes it so much better?

Nothing. That's the thing. Morrowind was bigger, you couldn't fast travel as easily (you had to be in town and find one of the walker things, much like the coaches in RDR) and you spent more time running around.

I personally loved the hell out of Oblivion. I liked exploring the map and finding things to craft potions with and stumbling on dungeons and taking on wild animals, etc. I spent more time on that game than I care to admit and it makes me VERY glad the sequel isn't coming out until next year when my book should be mostly done, so I don't fail out of graduate school.

I only hope that the engine makes the sort of jump from Oblivion to Skyrim that it did from Morrowind to Oblivion. The Gamebryo engine is crap (looks bad, bad animation system, crap always hovers, glitchy as hell) and iD Tech 5 is not only available (as Bethesda now owns iD), but it is HUGE and glorious looking. Oh well, we'll see.

~Jason

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929

Oh ok, never mind then.

Morrowind has a much more imaginative and rich setting, with more variety in the locations and dungeons, and more interesting characters. Also the levelling system is less retarded and the interface isn't a horrible mess like Oblivion. A warning though, the combat is pretty terrible. You'll probably want to mod the graphics too. The environments still look good, but the draw distance is a bit lacking and the default character models are pretty bad.

Basically its worth checking out if you like to explore and get immersed in a big world and you can ignore some slightly clunky gameplay and graphics.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
i wish some patchs for all the previous games released on the various ID tech engines would be released. like for doom 3 and Quake 4

Carmack said Id will release Tech 4 as open source eventually, as they've done with their previous engines, so its probably fair to expect enhanced source ports of Doom 3 etc at some point in the future.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A lot of it had to be experienced back shortly after the game came out, because the game has not aged well at all.

The things I liked better about Morrowind was that the leveling system/monster difficulty was better and you could learn more entertaining skills (even if they weren't always practical, for example with max acrobatic and max running or something like that, you could run and jump across the entire world in no time). I dunno, there was just something more interesting in Morrowind that was lost in Oblivion for me.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Personally, I loved Oblivion and thought Fallout 3 was the extremely boring one. Boring gunplay is boring.

I don't know if I'd blame Gamebryo for the bugs but I do agree the engine is showing some age. I think the engine shines more with Oblivion though. Foliage and colors are two things Fallout lacked and made it bland by comparison. Speedtree helped a lot with the eyecandy.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I honestly found Oblivion to be extremely boring. seems like the majority of my play time was spent navigating chat windows or traveling between locations. in my opinion, the whole first-person RPG concept works a lot better with guns (ala Fallout) than it does with melee weapons. there's a reason that fantasy RPG's are usually 3rd person.

Just admit it, you love guns:p
Anyway, care to tell me the concrete difference between playing a gun class in Fallout and a ranged magic class in Oblivion? Besides slightly slower projectiles I don't see much of a difference.

The only part where I'll agree 3rd person perspective is better is in melee combat between thief/ranger classes - that's why there is a 3rd person perspective function in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

--

Anyway, both games (TES3/4) have their strong and weak points.
Morrowind
Pro:
- Very rich and natural world. You genuinely feel like a small insignificant speck on the map when you start out, well into the midgame, like the world will go on just fine if you just happened to drop dead.
- Better leveling/skill system that contributes to the above. The draw of the game is being genuinely useless in the beginning and slowly working your way up into a glass-armored death machine or diplomat. The sense of progression is slow but very real.
Con:
- Melee combat for low level characters is even more ridiculous than that of Neverwinter nights. Swinging a sword through your opponent's head five times while not doing any damage or even getting a sound confirming your hit makes for very frustrating encounters until you level up. At least in NWN, the one or two times per minute your character attacks it will result in *some* damage.
- CLIFF RACERS ,,lol:mad:

Oblivion
Pro:
Better melee combat, better graphics, more varied quests. Overall better production value.
Con:
- The world feels too centered on you. Practically every character you talk to appears to have been waiting for you, and you only, to fix their problems. Plot-driving quests everywhere. Right from the beginning of the game, it's entirely apparent you are some godsent killer-hulk-to-be. You get to see the emperor dying and speak to him yourself, he tells you you're the chosen one, gives you amulet that the fate of the world depends on, "go save the universe", etc. In Morrowind, you start off as a prisoner without a history that is let go for some unknown reason and all you're given is a letter from some soldier in a nearby town. The rest is up to you to discover. In this aspect, Oblivion is a lot more cinematic (gaming's most recent fad, yay!), but it detracts from the genuine adventure feel of the game. Which leads me to the next point:

- Retarded leveling system. Seriously. I can skip most quests and go right to one of the toughest dungeons and kill the big bad mofo at level 5. If I go back into the starter dungeon after 80 hours of play, I will encounter level 60 sewer rats that would have killed me just by looking at me, had they been there when I first started the game. Enemies leveling up with the player character just kills any sense of progression in the game. It takes four stabs to kill a bandit at level 3, and it takes four stabs to kill that same bandit at level 100, because suddenly, he's wearing blood armor and has gained 60 levels. Nevermind how anyone in the various towns is still alive when there are juggernauts like these just strolling about.

The only characters exempt from this rule are the town guards, who are always so strong I keep wondering why they even need me to save the world when they've got a legion of terminators at their disposal already.

TL;DR: Morrowind is an open-world RPG with slightly clunky melee combat. Oblivion is it's action-game offspring with better production.

Last edited: