1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slainchild, Dec 11, 2010.

1. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

Daaaaamn I wouldn't mind playing this some time soon. :eek:

2. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

Hooray for Nords! That actually looks like it'll take up a good four weeks of my life, in playtime hours.

3. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

Holy ****, that is one hell of a trailer.

4. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

The fact you are fighting dragons makes my dick explode with excitement.

5. flo0tz

flo0tz New Member

6. Juggalo Kyle

Juggalo Kyle Sup brah.

7. Al

Al Reaper

8. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

That first person hand. Looks horrible o_O

9. Capt.Toilet

Skyrim will have DX11, but there is a catch. LoL pc gaming

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/The-Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-Todd-Howard-RPG-DirectX-11,12495.html

10. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

11. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

From what I understand, DX11 is mostly the same as DX10, just with more optimized under the hood stuff...

Allowing you to run the game under DX11 is a big plus. I'll take framerate & performance over a couple of shiny new shaders. :]

12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop is cool

Well they've lost me as a customer.

13. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

14. Capt.Toilet

Doesn't DX11 also bring with it Tesselation(sp)? Judging from the UE3 demo that showcased this tech, it would make Skyrim even the more beautiful. Skipping out on it for budget reasons I can understand, but to hold it back because of consoles? Morrowind and Oblivion crushed pc's because there was nothing holding them back, but apparently now there is. Now I am just as much a console gamer as pc, but when I play PC I expect to be blown away. Crysis is the last game to do this and probably will be the last.

No wonder my 8800gt is still going strong 4 years later :lol:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  15. Juggalo Kyle

Juggalo Kyle Sup brah.

I'm not worried about DX 11. Aslong as the game is fun, it could look as good as Daggerfall.

16. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

DX11 brings little to no optimization to the table. Just like DX10, the "changes under the hood" are merely updated code to help future-proof it for future hardware. (This software now lets me stuff a maximum of xx bits down the pipe as apposed to only x before) Despite what Microsoft says to sell their products, there is very little optimization in API to improve frame rates. Doesn't anyone remember the whole Crysis DX9 vs Crysis DX10 debacle? The difference in visuals is next to nothing (better motion blur--that's it) while performance takes a very big hit. Crytek themselves admitted later the DX10-only settings were indeed a gimmick. The same holds true for DX11. The only notable upgrade in graphics is the tessellation and because nearly no DX11 titles make use of tessellation, running in 11 is like dropping your performance for fun.
    Tessellation isn't some nice boolean integer that you can enable for models or textures. It needs to be supported by the engine's code and then applied by developers with the know-how-to. Sort of like bump mapping--it has been possible for over a decade now but has only been used extensively in the last few years.

Asking for this game to be in DX11 is silly, just as asking Crysis 2 to be in DX11 is. It's a big waste of time for the developers unless they actually use the new stuff it offers. (They're not going to waste more time and money on PC exclusive development and content) Otherwise, it may as well be a checkmark setting in the menu that's labeled "cut my frame rate in half".