1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slainchild, Dec 11, 2010.

1. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

If they were using the same gamebyro engine they wouldn't have renamed it.

Morrowind used gamebyro.

2. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

Even if it is gamebryo at heart, it's pretty clear it's been overhauled. The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion was pretty big. From Oblivion to Skyrim is already notable from what they've shown us, Oblivion didn't look anywhere near that good.

3. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I thought oblivion looked quite alright in terms of the scenery, it was the characters, gear, and faces that really jarred me. That's why I'm still cynical about the look of Skyrim until I see some characters that aren't so ugly that they singlehandedly defeat the purpose of elaborate graphics in the first place.

4. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Something to keep in mind is that the new game still has to work with the same hardware as Oblivion (ie. the Xbox 360 and PS3), so it was never going to be a quantum leap forward.

Most of the waterfalls in that pic look eyebrow-raisingly unconvincing, though...

5. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

I agree with you on this. Oblivion sacrificed proper looking faces for the ability to have millions of face permutations. Hopefully they can get the same permutation system but with proper looking faces.

6. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Those waterfalls look like being frozen in ice. Otherwise it really looks better compared to Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion.

7. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

I'm looking forward to Skyrim and enjoyed both Oblivion and Morrowind (Oblivion a little less).

For me the biggest thing missing from Oblivion and Fallout 3 that Morrowind had was the sense of being somewhere. Right from the start of the game you can travel just about anywhere and the enemies would match your level, there's no variation in difficulty between areas. That coupled with the fast travel system eliminated the feeling of discovery and venturing into dangerous and remote territory that Morrowind had. Thinking ahead, stocking up and preparing were all part of the experience. Oblivion only has a small sweet spot when your skill is high enough to take out low level bandits with one hit before every enemy in the game levels up and it feels like you're back at square one. At a very high level all enemies are the same few types.

Morrowind's transport system was slower but I liked the various ways to get around better; having to fork out gold for a boat, silt strider, mage's guild teleport, or get spells or scrolls which teleport you to the nearest town or player-summoned marker. Oblivion felt so dead in that respect, there's nobody going anywhere or doing anything much except you.

Hoping that Skyrim has more varying difficulty between areas and doesn't have Oblivion's fast travel system. :)

8. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

There are a lot of things in Oblivion that look terrible which have little to do with the engine. If Skyrim pulled off characters even half as decent as this (which is running on the same console) I would most definitely consider it a massive leap forward in terms of looks.

9. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY[/M]

10. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

That was perfect. The non-freaking out guy captures my sentiments towards this game so far.

RELEASE A REAL ****ING TRAILER ALREADY

11. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

That was absolutely fantastic.

12. togmkn

togmkn tog-em-kay-en

Words can't describe how awesome that was. :lol::tup:

13. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop is cool

Awesome video, I loved the "I'm no longer your fool" bit with Fable.

14. Al

Al Reaper

15. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Looks about the same to me. You can even make out the seam where the head connects with the body, which was doubly obvious in Oblivion.

EDIT: Course the game is still roughly a year away so graphic improvement is a given

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  16. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Wow, they look a lot better design wise, they are really going for a photo realistic appearance with the people. I lol'd at the hairy man arm in the other screenshot. Too bad it all looks low poly and the environments remind me of Oblivion or something bad on UE3. Bleh.

BS, even zooming to where it's pixelized I can't tell. Even if it was like that in game, I bet they would have fixed the photos up and hid that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  17. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

It's an improvement, but still not what I would call good. I just want them to fix it so that if I pick up an apple, every other piece of food on the table doesn't instantly begin hovering.

~Jason

18. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Clearly the food is sentient and is just afraid of being picked up.

19. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

The first preson arm for spellcasting looks horrible :eek:

20. anaemic

anaemic she touch your penis?

360 release?
    oh great another gimped console port of a shoddy shell of a game stripped to fit on a dvd.