UE3 Officially Goes Apple

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Chair is part of Epic now, which means it is probably a decision made by Epic to develop the game on the iOS. It makes business sense, but it's just an other thing to take Epic off of making things for the PC.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I wouldn't be surprised if there were people at Epic working on it. In fact, there are since Shane Caudle is responsible for the Citadel map. I'm just saying that it's not like Epic is putting a huge amount of resources into this.

Chair is owned by Epic, but they do their own projects. I have no idea if it is approved by Epic, but it doesn't take resources from the core Epic Games teams to build Project Sword.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
but it doesn't take resources from the core Epic Games teams to build Project Sword.

But those resources, no matter how little, could have been used for an other platform. Better yet, get all of Chair working on something else instead of the iOS.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But those resources, no matter how little, could have been used for an other platform. Better yet, get all of Chair working on something else instead of the iOS.
It's not like we're losing something there. All of Chair's games have been console games, and neither Epic nor Chair ever stated that Chair was a PC shop :p I don't know how to take that PC statement from Epic right now, but I do know that a few people working on an iOS version of the engine, and Chair working on a mobile "console game" is nothing new, and those people wouldn't be making a difference on Epic's other alleged PC products. If they exist, they will exit without those people. If they don't, the addition of those people wouldn't really change anything.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I installed this on my iPhone 4 today, just for sh*ts and giggles. It is a STUNNING looking demo, puts everything else I've seen on the iPhone to shame. I found the controls to be spongy/clunky (as I do most iPhone shooters), but that's something they can work on.

Bravo to Epic and Chair for this! This is exciting stuff. There are more iPhones out there to play games on than Sony and Nintendo portable units combined, and NOTHING that looks like this. This demo actually gets me jazzed for Project Sword. I think it's going to be a phenomenal success!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
So basically, if anyone ELSE wants to bring an Unreal Engine game to Android, Epic will be cool with it, but they aren't going "waste" their time on it unless there is direct money involved. Yeah, I know they are a business, but considering that Android OS based phones are collectively outselling iPhones would give Epic some sort of impetus to at least acknowledge this and make a grand gesture in much the same manner as this move by Chair. I suppose time will tell, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
There are more iPhones out there to play games on than Sony and Nintendo portable units combined

No there aren't, not even remotely close. There are 65 million iPhones out there and only 24 million iPhones that can run the game.

There are 135 million Nintendo DS and 60 million PSPs out there.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm guessing Pete meant in the US, but I don't know about that either.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
I installed this on my iPhone 4 today, just for sh*ts and giggles. It is a STUNNING looking demo, puts everything else I've seen on the iPhone to shame. I found the controls to be spongy/clunky (as I do most iPhone shooters), but that's something they can work on.

Bravo to Epic and Chair for this! This is exciting stuff. There are more iPhones out there to play games on than Sony and Nintendo portable units combined, and NOTHING that looks like this. This demo actually gets me jazzed for Project Sword. I think it's going to be a phenomenal success!

Thanks Pete :) Lots of hard work put into it; huge kudos to Shane "Arcane Temple" Caudle and Josh Adams.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's running fine on my 3GS. The demo does require a lot of free ram to run, and operates best on iOS 4.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
So basically, if anyone ELSE wants to bring an Unreal Engine game to Android, Epic will be cool with it, but they aren't going "waste" their time on it unless there is direct money involved. Yeah, I know they are a business, but considering that Android OS based phones are collectively outselling iPhones would give Epic some sort of impetus to at least acknowledge this and make a grand gesture in much the same manner as this move by Chair. I suppose time will tell, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I really read that more as: We currently have UE3 more or less running on Tegra based Android systems, but right now most of our attention goes towards iOS. But if there is market demand for UE3 on Android we will put more effort into it.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Real pretty, best graphics I've seen on any iOS piece yet. The outdoor areas get a little choppy on ipad but not too bad, as long as you aren't expecting "hardcore" UT deathmatch type performance. On iphone it seems smoother still, and my oh my does it make that retina display thing shine.

GJ Epic :)

P.S. when I go into the church I hear a police siren wailing. LOL what is that about

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I really read that more as: We currently have UE3 more or less running on Tegra based Android systems, but right now most of our attention goes towards iOS. But if there is market demand for UE3 on Android we will put more effort into it.

The way I see it is that there are no decent games on Android, nor are any real developers working on any games for it. Too bad Google doesn't strike some sort of arrangement with Epic to bring Unreal Engine games to the platform. Kinda sucks seeing other mobile platforms get all the good game stuff. But meh, games is the only lacking area I have on my Droid.

There aren't that many Tegra based Android phones at the moment, so I suppose I can see why Epic hasn't invested yet, but I hope it does happen.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Epic living up to their name. Very cool. Also rather convenient that the AFF team has a massive number of low-spec old-gen ships that date back to Homeworld... can has UDK support please :)

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
The way I see it is that there are no decent games on Android, nor are any real developers working on any games for it. Too bad Google doesn't strike some sort of arrangement with Epic to bring Unreal Engine games to the platform. Kinda sucks seeing other mobile platforms get all the good game stuff. But meh, games is the only lacking area I have on my Droid.

There aren't that many Tegra based Android phones at the moment, so I suppose I can see why Epic hasn't invested yet, but I hope it does happen.

There's a Doom/Quake port with full network support. What other games do you need? ;)