Deus Ex...3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I never finished it back then. I tried to play it a year or two ago and couldn't get past how awful the graphics and voice acting were, so I quit after the first 20 minutes or so.

I'm sure it has the best gameplay and story in the world though. Everyone keeps saying that.

Eh, don't feel bad. It was innovative, but it isn't good. The story is interesting but not good, the writing is terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the gameplay is mediocre, etc. It's a very important game and it really broke the mold and has influenced the use of RPG+FPS (though it has really taken a long time for people to really get to it, unfortunately) and it was a really interesting experience but as for the actual product, it doesn't hold up at all.

~Jason

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Wait until the HDTP(models and model textures), New Vision(map textures) and Revision(new level design) mods come out for the game. That won't fix the voice acting though. :p

But I know I won't like it that much....

Damn it, stop saying that, because you don't know. With that attitude you wouldn't like anything though. :mad:

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Eh, don't feel bad. It was innovative, but it isn't good. The story is interesting but not good, the writing is terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the gameplay is mediocre, etc. It's a very important game and it really broke the mold and has influenced the use of RPG+FPS (though it has really taken a long time for people to really get to it, unfortunately) and it was a really interesting experience but as for the actual product, it doesn't hold up at all.

~Jason

I think it's clear that it's more that just good or mediocre. Just because you personally didn't think it was great doesn't mean it wasn't.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
I played Deus Ex for the first time last year, and still loved it. I think it holds up quite well.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Deus Ex was one of the best and, frankly, most influential games of the early 2000s. The story is actually decent, the writing was as interesting as they could make it, the voice acting was fine, it was the animations that couldn't convey that (which makes sense, again, given the time period).

Still, it really hasn't aged well. My memories of Deus Ex are considerably better looking than the game actually is, and my memories of it aren't even that good looking :)

Love those videos, there are some really funny ones on youtube.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I never played resident evil either, but still actually gunplay is what makes FPS an FPS.
Is Deus Ex still FPS after all?

No, it isen't, not really, and if you where to try and play it as a standard run'n'gun shooter, you'd be bitterly dissapointed.

Technically it's an FPSRPG, but the term only fits loosely, it's more like a detective themed adventure game, mixed heavilly with RPG elements, and presented in a first person view, the game is not about combat at all, infact, the smart way to play it is to be as stealthy as possible and avoid combat as much as you can, a bit like NOLF2 or the Thief series in that respect.

If you try playing it as a shooter, it's going to suck, hard, because you're doing it wrong, you haven't grasped how the game is played, and the game punishes you for it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yeah, that's why I will be diappointed. The only good RPG system in FPS was in Daikatana, only simple boosts to your skills, or that UT3 RPG mod, it was enjoyable somehow too and not too complicated. But maybe beacuse both games are fast paced itself.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I imagine complcated menu system with some crappy GUI and loads of useless inventory and stuff and "professions".

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Apparently, you haven't even really investigated how the level up system works. Each skill is represented (Pistols, Lockpicking, Environmental Training [items], coughSwimming), and as you accrue points through exploration or completing objectives, you can increase those skills. For all skills, when you increase the level, you do that activity more efficiently. For Medicine, for instance, medical kits replenish more health. Weapon skills become more effective, as your shots are more accurate, do slightly more damage with each level, and you reload quicker. Higher level Lockpicking requires fewer lockpicks (as they are disposable), and you can pick locks faster. I'm sure you get the idea.

The inventory wasn't too clunky, given that it uses the Diablo-style model (grid). It is large enough to do what it needs to do, and such. If you really have problems with the inventory, maybe you should play the PS2 port which eschewed the grid inventory to deal with weapon slots and such (e.g., one rifle class weapon, one pistol class weapon, etc.). Granted, I don't know much about the port, other than it was simplified (which you seem to be yammering on about being better), and somewhat suffered for it.

Still, you seem to be determined to create a nice self-fulfilling prophesy, so don't let me stop you, I suppose.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, that's why I will be diappointed. The only good RPG system in FPS was in Daikatana, only simple boosts to your skills, or that UT3 RPG mod, it was enjoyable somehow too and not too complicated. But maybe beacuse both games are fast paced itself.

I imagine complcated menu system with some crappy GUI and loads of useless inventory and stuff and "professions".

Lol, this ignorance needs to stop, don't come back till you've played a couple hours of Deus Ex. :lol:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I was just responding to the questions. No I don't need to stop and you are not there to tell me to stop. I realize the skill system works like that, but still the GUI is crap and the method it is done imo. I actually was never much fan of RPG, the only RPG games I played I never finished and never went back, because they bored me at times. I actually found certain action packed RTS better or even adventures.

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Nothing wrong with not liking a genre, but I don't understand why you say its UI was crap.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Nothing wrong with not liking a genre, but I don't understand why you say its UI was crap.

Who needs mouse and some UI to boost your stats etc? It is absolutelly out of place. Daikatana did it with simple keyboard keys. That is much better solution. Oh and the Deus Ex UI seems heavily inspired by UT UI and I think it is crap as well.