Epic forums???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Anyone know why I would not be able to post over there? I don't see any "banned" message under my name or anything and I can log in no problem.:( The posts section near bottom says "may not..." next to all the options. I don't go there very often and only have 12 posts, but I check in every now and then.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Nope, just checked again to make absolutely sure. Also, there is a red dot under my avatar that says I'm online when I hold the cursor over it but a lot of other people show a green dot and it says they're online. What's up with that? Could this be the issue (logged in but something else wrong)?

EDIT: might have something to do with reputations as for some odd reason mine is negative and I don't think I can PM either over there.

Last edited:

Skakruk

Jan 20, 2008
My account is working fine - I just posted something today to test. Before that I only had 6 posts...

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
my account is still f**ked.:( I just saw a thread over there that their servers are being rebooted, but I think that was the UT3 game servers and probably nothing to do with this problem. I think someone got pissed at me after seeing me comment in another forum about them. If not, then it's just another case of me getting f-ed again.:mad:

Basically, when I login, my posting rules near the bottom left say I "may not" do anything.

Last edited:

Skakruk

Jan 20, 2008
my account is still f**ked.:( I just saw a thread over there that their servers are being rebooted, but I think that was the UT3 game servers and probably nothing to do with this problem. I think someone got pissed at me after seeing me comment in another forum about them. If not, then it's just another case of me getting f-ed again.:mad:

Basically, when I login, my posting rules near the bottom left say I "may not" do anything.

I must admit, the admins over there can be right pricks sometimes. IMy previous incarnation there had threads locked and posts deleted for all sorts of petty reasons. This si why I mostly stick to BUF.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, I'll PM Flak here and see what happens. No e-mail responses last night from a "contact us" thing at Epic yet. It's just so strange as I haven't been there for several months and now this.:bizarre:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I must admit, the admins over there can be right pricks sometimes. IMy previous incarnation there had threads locked and posts deleted for all sorts of petty reasons. This si why I mostly stick to BUF.

lol, yeah. Sometimes a ban there can be more of a blessing than anything.

This is exactly how I see it. Precisely why I told the admin over there to F*** Off & I walked away from there on my own merit. I feel pretty good about it & under the same circumstances, would do it again every time.

To me, it's no longer worth frequenting the place anymore.

Last edited:

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
You should be all taken care of Mr. Skaarj :) Sorry for the trouble!

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
looks good to me........I'll try posting later this afternoon or tonight. I'll have to find the thread I wanted to post on earlier in the week. Thank you again.:)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is exactly how I see it. Precisely why I told the admin over there to F*** Off & I walked away from there on my own merit. I feel pretty good about it & under the same circumstances, would do it again every time.

To me, it's no longer worth frequenting the place anymore.
Then just don't go. The forum moderators over there aren't intentionally making the place a bad place to be (in your opinion) and they are just human like you.

I visit the Epic Forums occasionally to see what is going on, but there is far too much whining for my tastes.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Then just don't go. The forum moderators over there aren't intentionally making the place a bad place to be (in your opinion) and they are just human like you.

I visit the Epic Forums occasionally to see what is going on, but there is far too much whining for my tastes.

That's what I'm saying, I don't go. I don't know if that holds true as to whether or not they are intentionally making it a bad place or not, but it sure has seemed like it at times.

If others feel at home there, that's fine, that's their discretion. After the Atari forums closed & migrated there it just wasn't the same any more. It seemed like it changed for the worse, not just to me, but a great many.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I usually just go there to see if there are any new maps worth downloading that aren't at my usual spots.:) Although, last year I posted trying to get UT3 working on my new computer.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
That's what I'm saying, I don't go. I don't know if that holds true as to whether or not they are intentionally making it a bad place or not, but it sure has seemed like it at times.

If others feel at home there, that's fine, that's their discretion. After the Atari forums closed & migrated there it just wasn't the same any more. It seemed like it changed for the worse, not just to me, but a great many.

I felt the same way after the migration. But honestly, no forum I've ever been a member of didn't go through the same kinds of changes when they migrated.

To be fair, Atari forums had their drawbacks as well. There were plenty of whiners, and some of those threads stayed open forever it seemed, incessant whining and all. What I miss was the feeling of a community. That is gone now. But then again, the community that once was here at BuF doesn't seem that same that it did a few years ago. Things do change, for the better or worse.

I don't envy Flak's job on Epic forums. Having to sift through all the tripe has got to be a nasty job. At least BuF has a few mods to help out over here.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I know Flak personally, and to imply that she is intentionally making the Epic Forums a bad place is actually quite offensive to me.
Despite the fact that I frequented neither ina-community, Atari, nor Epic Forums all that much, I think it is pretty obvious that Epic's forums are a much better place to be. Some threads get closed that shouldn't be, but the point is that threads get closed. Some of the posts on ina/atari were so ridiculously inflammatory that they should have been deleted... yet they often stayed open for months before anyone did anything about them.

It doesn't really matter much how you think they should run their forums. Epic's forums are theirs. They make the rules, and they also realize that people will be visiting there who don't have time to wade through 800 threads on the same subject, nor want to wade through 800 threads that have no point other than to rage and cry about how Epic doesn't treat each individual customer of theirs like they are the most important person in the universe.

Having moderated these forums, which are much less busy than Epic's forums, I neither envy Flak's job nor blame her for the way she moderates over there. Having seen some of the threads that get axed over there, I often have to ask myself whether people actually know what they are doing when they post things on the internet. Surely the answer is that, in general, they don't.

It all boils down to, if you don't like a place, don't visit there. Nobody at Epic is forcing you to view their forums, but it seems like common courtesy to respect the way they choose to run them.

Status
Not open for further replies.