Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We understand perfectly that shock vs vehicle in 2k4 was unbalanced. We dont care, that is how we prefer to play. How long are you going to cry about the same thing? If you dont like it, dont play it..... <---- I've been saying that to you for 2 years now :lol:
We don't... but that doesn't stop us from talking about how crappy it is :p

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Well it almost got completely nurfed because of the simultaneous PS/3 console implementation, - Epic had delusions of grandeur because of the Gears success with the 360 exclusive console title, people still swear to this day that UT tech is a port from consoles. :eek: :lol:

Thank the good lord they listened and at least fixed the interface 5 patches later.

If its not broke don't try to fix it. Sometimes these changes to make things console friendlier break a tried and true virtually perfect VFP. [Valuable Final Product]

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Funny you all talk of Epic and consolization when Call of Duty 4: 2 is going to be released in a few weeks. If you want consolization, look no further than to Infinity Ward.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I honestly can't believe how anyone in their right mind could pick Quake Live or any other game over UT3.
I picked a handful over UT3. I don't think I've even fired up UT3 in 3 months or actually played it online in 5-6months

I think I've played more TF2 in the last 2 weeks than I have UT3 all year, and that's just to play PropHunt once in a while
UT3 just never felt right. Gameplay felt slow, seemed like a wiffle bat had more punch than some of the weapons and after hours of tweaking my mouse still felt laggy[Note: UT3 and Bioshock are the only ones where the mouse felt funny]

hypno

Oct 26, 2009
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Not gonna repeat myself, since I've done it so much by the Epic Forums in the hope someone from epic would see it :). In few words, Epic released a game with a wonderfull gameplay but in beta-state and totally console'ized, the game is 'fine' right now but it's in the state that should have been out of the box. I had hopes for the titan pack but instead of fixing the game epic lost time with mods like betrayal or greed that in the long run were a waste of time, cause no one plays it. Look at qlive, duel, tdm, ca, thats fine and enough already, isnt it? ;). I hope that epic will learn something someday from what id software is doing nowadays!

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Many weapons can kill in one shot (all except three, actually), and you're complaining they don't have enough punch??
Enforcer: Single shot kill if opponent is weakened
Bio: True, but takes a while
Shock: ShockCombo is the only insta-kill and that isn't even guaranteed
Link: One shot kill if others stand close enough to grab your ass
Stinger: One shot if weakened
Flak: True, but primary requires up close and shell requires a dead on hit
Rox: Never noticed if a single rocket can kill a freshly spawned player. Triplerox can easily
SniperRifle: Headshots

Either way, they still feel weaker than their 2k4 counterparts

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Enforcer: Single shot kill if opponent is weakened
Bio: True, but takes a while
Shock: ShockCombo is the only insta-kill and that isn't even guaranteed
Link: One shot kill if others stand close enough to grab your ass
Stinger: One shot if weakened
Flak: True, but primary requires up close and shell requires a dead on hit
Rox: Never noticed if a single rocket can kill a freshly spawned player. Triplerox can easily
SniperRifle: Headshots

Either way, they still feel weaker than their 2k4 counterparts

I'm talking about 100 health individuals;

Impact Hammer when fully charged kills. Dual enforcer on alt-fire kills with five out of six shots. Bio-rifle alt when fully charged kills. Shock combo kills. Flak primary kills with six out of ten projectiles. Flak secondary kills with direct hits. One rocket will kill with a direct hit. Sniper Rifle kills with headshots. Avril will kill, Redeemer obviously kills.

The only two weapons not capable of a one shot/burst kill are the link gun and the stinger. Linked primary will kill in 3 shots (less than half a second), Linked secondary will kill in less than one third of a second. Stinger primary in less than three quarters of a second, and stinger secondary in three shots; less than three quarters of a second.

They really are not weaker than their 2k4 counterparts, they're considerably more dangerous.

Last edited:

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
I'm talking about 100 health individuals;

Impact Hammer when fully charged kills. Dual enforcer on alt-fire kills with five out of six shots. Bio-rifle alt when fully charged kills. Shock combo kills. Flak primary kills with six out of ten projectiles. Flak secondary kills with direct hits. One rocket will kill with a direct hit. Sniper Rifle kills with headshots. Avril will kill, Redeemer obviously kills.

The only two weapons not capable of a one shot/burst kill are the link gun and the stinger. Linked primary will kill in 3 shots (less than half a second), Linked secondary will kill in less than one third of a second. Stinger primary in less than three quarters of a second, and stinger secondary in three shots; less than three quarters of a second.

They really are not weaker than their 2k4 counterparts, they're considerably more dangerous.

Yeah but the link gun can be combined and the stinger can pin enemies to walls and fires a lethal spread like no other weapon. ;)

As a sidebar; I wonder how many players that are new to the UT universe don't even realize they can impact jump to get to high places with out a TL.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
TL? Anyway.......look at liandri archives for weapon damage, yes rocket launcher in UT3 is weaker against vehicles, it is stronger against players though. Also I beleive it is fster and locks on faster too, so I actually didn't notice that it was weaker against vehicles.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Yeah but the link gun can be combined and the stinger can pin enemies to walls and fires a lethal spread like no other weapon. ;)

The stinger doesn't pin people to walls, it pins dead bodies to walls ;0

edit: skimmed a few pages of the thread, can't believe this thing is still alive :> The UT2k4 foot weapon balance to vehicle balanced was off especially the shock rifle. The ratio should be roughly 75% in favor of the vehicle and 25% in favor of the foot soldier not including weapons like the avril.

Last edited:

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
TL? Anyway.......look at liandri archives for weapon damage, yes rocket launcher in UT3 is weaker against vehicles, it is stronger against players though. Also I beleive it is fster and locks on faster too, so I actually didn't notice that it was weaker against vehicles.

Translocator. The rocket launcher ownz, its the only way i've found i can beat the bots on god mode, since there aren't many people to play with online especially with my connection.

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
The stinger doesn't pin people to walls, it pins dead bodies to walls ;0

edit: skimmed a few pages of the thread, can't believe this thing is still alive :> The UT2k4 foot weapon balance to vehicle balanced was off especially the shock rifle. The ratio should be roughly 75% in favor of the vehicle and 25% in favor of the foot soldier not including weapons like the avril.

Roger That.

Yeah this would have been locked on the offical epic forums after the 3rd or maybe 4th reply.

In fact recently there was a post over there: - 1st. the loaded question of why people bash consoles, and then the fake props and some knuckleheads come in to educate us about how everything has been subordinated to consoles and PC users are bitter and feeling left out. :lol: :eek: :rolleyes:

Truth be told Epic had a hit with Gears being exclusive to X360, don't expect that to be the rule, it was an aberration at best. I mean yay for Epic of course, but UT techs roots are in PC and their biggest following still is with PC users, not to mention a massive cult following, they know it - they just like to patronize Microsoft and Sony. ;)

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I don't think I'd ever consider a shock combo a one hit kill. It may take one blast to kill someone, but it still requires 2 shots to happen

No it doesn't, you can still do it with one shot.

Protip: You don't have to shoot your own shock core. If your enemy is using a shock rifle, use one too; then shoot his cores as soon as he fires them. I find it's easier than pulling your own combo.

One shot kill; circumstances are less common, but it's not like it never happens, especially in deathmatch or CTF.

Last edited: