The Official UT3 Myths Debunked Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Express your opinion!

• Total voters

Lee_Stricklin

Gaming Guru
Sep 17, 2008
Midwest
wingselite.com
OK I was bored so I made some comparisons.

Package
------------
In Unreal Tournament GotYE you got Capture the Flag, Assault (one of the best game types in the history of fragging), Domination, and your different types of deathmatch and A LOT of maps to play on. In UT3 you get a few types of Deathmatch, this so-called Warfare (which wasn't bad, but it aint assault or onslaught), and Capture the Flag and very few maps to play on.

Gameplay
------------
Unreal Tournament GotYE strikes the perfect balance in the physics area with the gravity and movement feel so that it's immersive enough to feel realistic (even though it isn't) and has a rock/paper/scissors balance. Unreal Tournament 3 also has a really good heavy feel, but the players are sluggish and you can't jump high. On top of that there's double jumping (enough said) and the weapon balance is for the most part broken worse than what it was in the original Unreal's (NOT UT) multiplayer because you can kill anything inside of a few hits which means that you'll spend your time trying to get the longest ranged weapon. Don't even get me started on the bots.

Visuals
------------
Resources clearly recycled from Gears of War, this game is loaded with wasted detail that looks like clutter. It would be nice in an action horror game, but not in straight arena combat. Though some of the asian-theme looks amazing, the visual STYLE sucks for the most part. Unreal, Return to Na Pali, and Unreal Tournament on the other hand had a visual style that mixed fantasy and sci-fi elements and shockingly looked more realistic than what is presented in UT3 and more importantly helped the atmosphere of the game.

Sound Track
------------
Unreal and Unreal Tournament had an unforgettable sound track that fit the maps very well. Unreal Tournament 3 has THE MOST KICK-ASS TITLE THEME EVER, but not much else. There were attempts to incorporate dynamic music much like what was done in Unreal and it's expansion pack (example would be when you grab a flag on Facing Worlds the music changes), but it didn't work out very well which is a shame because it's a cool idea.

Networking
------------
Though not as good as previous Unreal games, it takes A LOT of hell to drag this game's networking down.

Interface
------------
I hate to use the word consolized, but that is exactly what this is. In Unreal and Unreal Tournament you had everything laid out like a window with your game menu and everything. In UT3 though everything is laid out so that it could be navigated with a control pad.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
The GF8800GS is a low end card. What kind of DDR2 memory do you have? There is a huge difference between 800, 667 and 533MHz....

Just found this gem. You are hereby discredited on anything electronic ever. Congratulations. The fact is most PC gamers can run this game. Most. And most that can run it...don't.

Compare CoD4's player count to UT3. They have approximately the same hardware requirements.

Lee_Stricklin

Gaming Guru
Sep 17, 2008
Midwest
wingselite.com

Just found this gem. You are hereby discredited on anything electronic ever. Congratulations. The fact is most PC gamers can run this game. Most. And most that can run it...don't.

Compare CoD4's player count to UT3. They have approximately the same hardware requirements.

I got this sucker to run on a 478 socket Pentium 4, 1 GB of 333MHz DDR, and a 64 bit PCI (not express) Geforce 6200 with 256 MB of RAM. I had to use a tweaker (since the ini is a mess) to make it run, but I did get it to run rather smoothly at 1280 x 1024 res with 100% screen usage. My current PC (had to build one because the good ol P4 burnt up) right now could probably run two or three copies of this with everything maxed.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I got this sucker to run on a 478 socket Pentium 4, 1 GB of 333MHz DDR, and a 64 bit PCI (not express) Geforce 6200 with 256 MB of RAM. I had to use a tweaker (since the ini is a mess) to make it run, but I did get it to run rather smoothly at 1280 x 1024 res with 100% screen usage.

I think that your definition of smoothly differs greatly from mine D:

Lee_Stricklin

Gaming Guru
Sep 17, 2008
Midwest
wingselite.com
I think that your definition of smoothly differs greatly from mine D:

lol with some decent effects turned on (minus the annoying ones) I got 17fps. If I lowered the res to 1024 x 768, change the screen percentage to 80 and turned off the lightmaps and character model LOD it would run at a good 30fps without slowdown.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
lol with some decent effects turned on (minus the annoying ones) I got 17fps. If I lowered the res to 1024 x 768, change the screen percentage to 80 and turned off the lightmaps and character model LOD it would run at a good 30fps without slowdown.

And most wouldn't cinsider that "fluent" or "smooth". :)

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster

OMG 17 fps! I assume this is a DM map and game type. Is that the average or the high when nothing is actually going on? Playable fps means playable with other players in a match. Average of 60 fps and never drop below 42 fps is minimum playable fps for many I think. Anything lower is pretty silly to even talk about.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Sound Track
------------
Unreal and Unreal Tournament had an unforgettable sound track that fit the maps very well. Unreal Tournament 3 has THE MOST KICK-ASS TITLE THEME EVER, but not much else. There were attempts to incorporate dynamic music much like what was done in Unreal and it's expansion pack (example would be when you grab a flag on Facing Worlds the music changes), but it didn't work out very well which is a shame because it's a cool idea.
I gotta say that the UT3 soundtrack is absolutely awesome for the most part if you listen to it outside of the game, either by extracting the audio from the game or getting the soundtrack CD or both (like I did). There's some music not on the soundtrack you can get from the extraction, and some from the soundtrack you don't get from the extraction, and a few other little differences between them, but listening to stuff like Necris Attacks, Outpost Extended, Plasma Oscillator etc. outside of the game really shows how good the music is.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
The wheeled vehicles handle much better with an analog stick. But the OP said the game is NOT consolized, so I assume EPIC assumed we all use controllers for our PC FPS games. :rolleyes:;)

Perhabs they do, Mark Rein has stated a few times that this is how they have played it at Epic's offices and that he prefers it to the KB/M setup, and ofcourse, the "development" picture they put on the SE disc also shows them playing it with PS3 controllers.

They just might be that much out of touch with PC gamers, i woulden't rule it out.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Sound Track
------------

The dynamic music thing ruined everything, you'll basically never hear an entire music track while playing the game. That's a shame, because the music in UT3 is superb. I bought the OST because I think it's really worth it. 150 minutes of top-quality stuff, and I'm not even really into d'n'b/electro/whatever the genre is called.

Tracks like Mekapolis, Afterburn, Robo Mall and Lockdown are brilliant. And not to mention the remixed UT music tracks such as Mechanism Eight and Skyward Fire.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Yeah the music is really just fantastic, and the soundtrack is worth it even if you don't like the game. The Necris music is all really great and unique, like nothing else I've heard, and the other, more techno-y stuff (which I'm not normally a big fan of) like To the Death and Quantum Velocity etc. is also really really good. Then there's really cool blends of traditional music and rockish stuff, like Bushido and Outpost, which is done very very well.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 OST is my favourite one in the entire series (now I prefer it more than the U1 one). Give to me Lockdown, To the Death and the unused Industrial and I'm set.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Soggy_Popcorn said:
Just found this gem. You are hereby discredited on anything electronic ever. Congratulations.
Well, it depends on the CPU. Athlons and Intel Core with less than 1MB of L2 cache are sensitive to slow memory.
The fact is most PC gamers can run this game.
Yeah, but what about PC owners?

Last edited:

Lee_Stricklin

Gaming Guru
Sep 17, 2008
Midwest
wingselite.com
OMG 17 fps! I assume this is a DM map and game type. Is that the average or the high when nothing is actually going on? Playable fps means playable with other players in a match. Average of 60 fps and never drop below 42 fps is minimum playable fps for many I think. Anything lower is pretty silly to even talk about.

No that is the lowest it drops whenever there is action going on in pretty much any map.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Perhabs they do, Mark Rein has stated a few times that this is how they have played it at Epic's offices and that he prefers it to the KB/M setup, and ofcourse, the "development" picture they put on the SE disc also shows them playing it with PS3 controllers.

They just might be that much out of touch with PC gamers, i woulden't rule it out.

Yea, all the previews i saw before the game came out you could see them playing on a TV with a PS3 controller.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
It comes down to this:

At around 4 pm U.S. EST I counted 804 players playing UT99 online for all game types. Has UT3 ever, ever had that many people playing it at once online? I don't think so.

The numbers are telling us something. Case closed.