UT3 Black "Free Weekend" on Steam... This Weekend!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
IMHO, Epic aren't promoting UT3 for the sake of profits - the engine is harvesting enough wealth in that regard, and Gears / Gears 2 are also very successful. They're promoting it in order to get more players involved.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
What's all the talk about UT3 being "dead" or past it's time? Even if people are tired of the original game new mods are coming out all of the time. For me at least, and I imagine many others in this community, UT3's reign lasts at least until the next UT comes out, and will continue kicking for some time thereafter. Some people are still playing and making new mods for Unreal and UT99!

But having said that I realize there is a large segment of gamers who flit from one game to the next; and for them a game is "old" the instant the next blockbuster comes out.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They did this because of the end of Phase 3 of the MSUC. You can play mods on the free download.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Well first, "what's the difference?" is one question I'd pose—the low shelf price effectively means low cost to Midway/Epic for offering free weekends.

Midway are dead. Epic have no way of getting this game out to anyone other then steam because they don't have a publisher their to do it.

So if it's not going to really make a differance in cost to putting it out there, and if it's not bringing in the money they hoped for, wheres the harm, its only 2 days of free play anyway.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I think it's a great idea! You get more people involved and after the free weekend, some people may actually go out and buy it. Also, the people that already have a computer that can run UT3 and haven't tried it yet get a taste. This also might get people interested in the mods and stuff.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I think it's a great idea! You get more people involved and after the free weekend, some people may actually go out and buy it. Also, the people that already have a computer that can run UT3 and haven't tried it yet get a taste. This also might get people interested in the mods and stuff.

I think it i only to give the regulars a few more online opponents for a few days.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
With the player counts in the server browser finally fixed in patch 2.1, some may actually stick around this time...

*crosses fingers*

nfleming

Jul 6, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
It doesn't require some over expensive PC to run UT3 at max details even.

Easily less than 800 should do it if you have anything already (monitor, mouse, KB) etc that you could re-use.

Lets see Motherboard, CPU, memory, video card. PSU maybe.