UT3, the day after Titan Pack speculations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think will happen with UT3's popularity after the patch?

• Total voters

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Maybe, but a lot of people also played Quake 4 before they realized it was terrible :)

I think a lot of old Q3A players desperately wanted it to be good, and stuck around longer than the game deserved.. ofcourse, we could say something similar about UT3 ;)

I honestly just can't agree. I guess it depends on how loosely you define "arena shooter" and how loosely you define "fast paced". TF2 isn't even in the same league as UT/Q3 in terms of pacing, and in terms of gameplay balance they couldnt' be farther apart.

UT/Q3 where neither the first nor the only arena shooters, we can trace them all the way back to the 2½D graphics days, just to name an example i played a whole bunch, lets just point to Blood's MP portion, "Bloodbath", that was pure arena shooter all the way.

I define "fast paced" as movement speed, the rate at which you move around, and TF2, having its roots in Quake, moves plenty fast, it is certainly no tactical shooter, it is much clouser related to Quake for obvious reasons.
Map design is also an important factor, obviously, the term "Arena shooter" stems from how typical DM maps where created in thease classic titles afterall, and i think you'd have to agree that TF2's maps aren't all that dissimilar to CTF maps we have seen in UT, 2Forts versus FacingWorlds comes to mind, both classic maps in the UT and TF series.

If you want to define it as "how often you get into a fight" instead, then TF2 is not as fast paced, but certainly not far from what a classic CTF match is like on a larger map (and it's definately comparable to older Arena shooters).

As for balance, this i don't considder a defining part of the genre, ofcourse a good game should have an overall balance, but even UT (or perhabs i should refrance the UC series as a better example) have played around with stuff like "species statistics", i don't think all players need to have the exact same abillities for it to be an Arena Shooter, we could also look at Tribes whilst we're at it.

If you just mean "they both emphasize teamplay", I guess I'd agree, but then you could also lump Halo in there and I don't think you'd call that an arena shooter either :p Arena shooters emphasize twitch gameplay, something that neither TF2 nor Halo provide for at all.

Obviously i don't mean that, if we define it that loosely, then even tactical shooters would be included, thouse are team based too, and that's just an absurd connection to make.. OFP the Arena Shooter! yeah.. no..

Nor would i call Halo an Arena Shooter, for obvious reasons.

The TF series, however, sprung from Quake, infact it was nothing more than a further development of the early CTF gametypes that where created for that game, basically its that with classes, it is certainly a more specialized gametype, i guess you could say the same of "Jailbreak" and similar, and as its theme has been refined over the years it has become more so, but regardless, i can still play TF2 and see the obvious roots with the origional Quake mod.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Playing as scout or soldier though I get that twitch gameplay feeling though.

On topic: I've seen some people around different forums saying that they have or will buy UT3 because of the new expansion, so it's definitely bringing in new players. The million dollar question though is, "How long will they stick with the game?"

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
No twitch = not arena.

If you're going to define it that narrow, then even UT fails to meet the criteria, or rather, many of its gametypes fail to, actually only the DM based ones will do, CTF a bit too on some maps but not all, but ONS, WAR, AS etc wont qualify, infact TF2 is alot more twitchy than a game of WAR if you play as Soldier or Scout.

It also leads to another problem, namely that "twitch" is a common trait in all DM/TDM games, even CoD4 is more twitch than tactics due to its map sizes and the movement speed.

Twitch shooters and Arena shooters are not the same thing, Singleplayer games can be twitch shooters, but i have never seen an SP game i'd call an Arena shooter (obviously i am not count "botmatches" as SP here, im thinking story driven SP only game), the AvP series where twitch shooters for instance, but they where not Arena shooters.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
To attract new players I simply suggest you show around this video:
http://unrealtournament2004.filefront.com/file/Unreal_Tournament_3_E3_2007_Trailer;80852
(it's even in youtube but here you can download it in high resolution)

It's really freaking awesome.
I've watched it like 50 times and every time I do it really gets me.
I can't imagine someone interested in FPS not willing to try the game after seeing this cool trailer.

So, the solution for me it's just spread the word. All the people I know have never heard of UT, they don't play it simply because they don't know such a thing exist.

I am optimistic, I think the player number will increase when even the ordinary laptops sold in the supermarkets will be able to run it, attracting more casual gamer.
Initially it'll be like Truegamer described, but eventually some of them will pick up :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah. TF2 and UT3 are nothing alike.

In both you are either red or blue and shoot at your enemies with things like rocket launchers, miniguns, sniper rifles, grenades (rocket launcher/bio), melee things, turrets, and you play games where you capture control points or flags while picking up stuff like health packs and ammo.

Nope. Not alike at all. :rolleyes:

The only legitimate difference between the two is TF2 adds to the arena formula and makes such a genre worth playing again. D:

Delusional fanboyism spread around as truth. What can you do to protect yourself? The story tonight at 6:00.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

The only legitimate difference between the two is TF2 adds to the arena formula and makes such a genre worth playing again. D:

You're forgetting something:

TF2 is class-based with things like different movement rates and load outs for each class. Old-skool "Arena" shooters I thought need to have everyone on the same footing: weapon pickups and range of weapons to choose from which also allows for tactics such as powerup control by denying your opponent access to item/weapon spawns.

Arguing that TF2 is an arena shooter because it is based on the Quake engine is like arguing that Counter-Strike is an arena shooter because it is based on the Half-Life/Goldsrc engine. Or arguing UTXMP is an arena shooter because it's based on UT2004.

EDIT: To get the thread back on topic... Game will see a rise in numbers and plateau down to some number that's higher than the current numbers. Of course I haven't seen the new patch in action, but the list of changes looks promising enough to at least get some amount of people to come back and play at least somewhat more regularly. Let's be honest, there's a lot of good FPS games on the market right now, but UT3 does fill the "throwback/oldskool" shooter niche for people who wants a game with hi-def graphics, and for those people who just want mindless fragging without needing to worry about things like class selection, weapon unlocks, and spawn queues. Hopefully Epic will continue supporting the game for another year or two if the patch re-engages the player base.

Last edited:

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
I'd like to be optimistic, but I think some might return and some new players might join us. But not a huge "OMG UT3 GOTZ NEW PATZES N STUFFS GIMME!!1" phenomena I think. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

In both you are either red or blue and shoot at your enemies with things like rocket launchers, miniguns, sniper rifles, grenades (rocket launcher/bio), melee things, turrets, and you play games where you capture control points or flags while picking up stuff like health packs and ammo.

Delusional fanboyism spread around as truth. What can you do to protect yourself? The story tonight at 6:00.
Oh hey you just described 90% of the FPS games that ever came out. I could have said the same thing about:

CoD
CoD2
CoD4
CoD5
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Lost Planet
FEAR
UT
UT2kX
UT3
Battlefield: 1942
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Bad Company
Red Orchestra
Frontlines: Fuel of War

I'm sure I could make the list of games that match your description double, triple, maybe even quadruple this size.

Good work, I can always expect you to swoop in and drive my points home!

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway

Transformers is a ripoff of Lord of the Rings. They both have badguys in them.

The most fundamental difference between TF2 (and CoD, KZ2, whatever) and UT3 are the classes.

I know you feel all cool and hip and different by disagreeing with everything and being overly pessimistic (it isn't noticeable at all, really), but I don't see how it makes us fanboys to say that TF2 and UT3 are different types of games.

I enjoy PL in TF2, and I enjoy TDM/CTF in UT3. I dislike arena in TF2, and dislike warfare in UT3.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Nothing can "save" UT3, but the patch + titan pack will help keep it from completely flatlining.

heyqule

Apr 22, 2006
Give out a 75% off weekend on steam. We might see a rise on player count. lol

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
We will see a boost in players at first, that i can allmost garuentee, as i have seen people talk about it on various forums and they will certainly try it, the real question is if they will stick around after the honeymoon..

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
someone has prob posted this somewhere but...

1234202873_1234202173_dmturbine.png

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I voted for the first, but as some have said it may be an option somewhere in the middle.

The Titan pack with the right marketing will be a huge hit for UT3. Of course this weekend will see huge player numbers but its the week after where Clans will want UT3 ladders, competitions etc going to include the old and new content the numbers may dwindle if people don't pick up and go with it.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
expectn the worst,hopin for teh best

I cannot find my poll answer so I voted 2.
I believe 2 is unfairly worded though. By everyone DL'n the patch that IS the second try.

For me the 3 most important factors for a game and it's longevity are if it's fun,challenging,and stable.

Epic has had more than ample time to make it stable.
I'm sure it could be fun with the right attention.I doubt them in this area because they cannot let go of the easy-to-become l33t factor which they believe equal sales.Yeah I know they cannot please all the UT'ers across the series and attract newcomers at once.
Fun and challenging=longevity imho.

I would love to see poll option 1 happen,some of it will. I think option 2 is what will more than likely happen in most cases unfortunately.