UT3, the day after Titan Pack speculations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think will happen with UT3's popularity after the patch?

• Total voters

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
Explain Quake Live and it's apparent success then

Success? It's an open beta that's been going for a few days, it's still in the honeymoon period of people trying it to see what it's like.

By the time it kicks into the full game with the ads and everything its popularity will have dropped significently if not before then.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
quake live is just quake 3 with the violence removed and advertisements on the walls and no custom content. people are just trying it because it's new.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
On the day immediately following the release of Unreal Tournament 3's second bonus pack, the Titan Pack, the Unreal Deal will be the center of the Weekend Deal on Steam. Justly so, an irreversible number of new customers will purchase the game at its discounted price and begin to grow a new community founded by the premise that all gamers are initially created equal.

Though, in time, many of the new gamers within the Unreal community will diverge on paths dictated only by their personal preferences in what a first person shooter should accomplish for its customer. What the community will have then is an onset of new players, alien to the inner workings of the franchise and its rich, lavish history, providing an even balance in skill for just about every sub-community within the game.

Instagib will be a pick-up-game player's delight as fresh, young competition will flood the servers and haphazardly shoot their instagib rifles while running in straight lines and double-jumping on rare occasions, usually brought on by accidentally pressing the jump button twice in direct sequence.

Warfare will see a new community defined by leaving entire nodes unprotected, unguarded and uncaptured. Unknown numbers of players will rush to their enemy's core and attempt to attack the rotating giant without properly established power flow extending from one core to the other. The team fending off the most unknowing attackers will steadily attempt to heal their core with shock rifles and link guns, assuming that because their core is still at 100 percent health, their valiant efforts in team-based defensive strategy are far superior to the attempts made by the daring attackers.

Capture the Flag will see a different kind of community. A majority of the players in this sub-community will work tirelessly to telefrag enemy players and teammates using the Translocator. In Vehicular Capture the Flag, most players will hold hoverboarding contests in the center of the map as a single player, having discovered the Redeemer for the first time, will either kill everybody or knock everybody off of their boards with the concussion of a small nuclear warhead.

Deathmatch will be like picking apples off of the ground. Most players in the gametype, not familiar with the functionality of Unreal's broad weapon base and the arrangement of pickups and powerups throughout Unreal Tournament 3's many arenas of competition, will be nothing more than the surprised recipients of the flak shells and shock combo's of the seventeen players that have played Unreal Tournament 3 from the beginning.

And to this regard, the rush of new, young blood in the community will tragically bring about the end of the community as well. The expert players, living in the memories of what great times they had playing Assault in the original Unreal Tournament from ten years ago, will return to the game once they see that people still take that game seriously. The new players, if they out-last the waxing and waning interest of the more versed players, will find themselves in a new, non-challenging community where everybody can feign death down staircases and launch themselves to improbable heights using the Impact Hammer.

Following the success and dumbing-down of the Unreal community, Epic will sever its ties with Midway in the third quarter of 2009 and either approach Electronic Arts to publish the next four Unreal-franchise titles, all set to come out within six months of each other, or the Epic Games that we have grown to know and love will become one of the many independent game developers found on Steam.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
Also, while I was writing that, I drank out of a can of ginger ale that has been on my desk for about two months. I think I put a toenail in there at some point.

****ing gross.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Very few people will know about or hear of the patch or expansion. The only ones who know, found out online. So, those who are not playing anymore or who never played will not even know it exists. Unless there is a retail release with actual adverts, I think it's pretty much the last little whimper we will hear about it.

So, I do not expect anything except more endless complaints about not being able to join servers with or without the patch, crashes and errors during and after titan installs, and new problems associated with the expansion.. I would not be surprised if it is a total disaster with even far fewer players online than now.

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
Very few people will know about or hear of the patch or expansion. The only ones who know, found out online. So, those who are not playing anymore or who never played will not even know it exists. Unless there is a retail release with actual adverts, I think it's pretty much the last little whimper we will hear about it.

I would be very surprised if there's a vaguely decent gaming news site that doesn't report on it.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
It'll probably pull back some players that originaly abandoned the game but I'm not expecting any miracles. UT3 is never going to be big. Other games have taken it's place by now.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Options 3. The public servers are totally dead, people who gave up on the game or hated it won't come back because of a patch and Betrayal Pots.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com

So, I do not expect anything except more endless complaints about not being able to join servers with or without the patch, crashes and errors during and after titan installs, and new problems associated with the expansion.. I would not be surprised if it is a total disaster with even far fewer players online than now.

Oh, and don't forget that we will see an increase in the number of complaints in the forums. We will all have to hear and discuss again classic favorites, like
"The Manta is too powerful!"
"The Stinger is too powerful!"
"The tank is too powerful!"
"The tank is too weak!"
"Where's dodge jump? Waaaa"
"Everything is too dirty and gritty. The movement is too grounded. I thought this was UNreal?"

and the ones that have already found their way into the forums in the last couple weeks:
"The translocator sucks"
"The Hellbender suxxors without the twin beams"
"The Cicada can't hit the broad side of a barn"
"I want more than 100 FOV, waaaaaaa waaaaaa"

And when these complaint threads stop we will truly know that UT3 has exhaled it's last breath.

To the gruesome end!

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Success? It's an open beta that's been going for a few days, it's still in the honeymoon period of people trying it to see what it's like.

By the time it kicks into the full game with the ads and everything its popularity will have dropped significently if not before then.

It has been popular enough when it was in cloused beta too, just about every forum i frequent has a "Request QL passes here!" thread.

There does seem to be interest in the genre still, but look at what we've been given to work with thease last years.. UT2k3 and 2k4 where definately not what many people wanted to see (i'm good freinds with 2k4 now that it has some good mods, but on the whole, even it has no shortage of detractors), Q4? bletch, UT3? need i even comment?

I think it is much too early to call the genre dead, considdering it hasen't really been given a fair shake since 1999, and when a new one does show up, i see people get excited over it (untill it turns out to be a dissapointment, that is).

Then look at a title like TF2, very popular, and it is basically just a teamplay game-mode of an Arena shooter, it playes very similar, and lest we forget, it started out as a Quake mod.

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
Will probably last for a bit then go back to normal (nothing except high ping servers)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It has been popular enough when it was in cloused beta too, just about every forum i frequent has a "Request QL passes here!" thread.
So? It's apparently cool to have something before everyone else. See: Gmail beta.

My take on Quake Live is: why not just play Q3 + Team Arena + CPMA? It's a much better experience and much easier to work with. I am guessing people will get bored with it pretty quick and they will have a few hundred players stick with it. It feels like a ten year old game, after all (because it is).
Then look at a title like TF2, very popular, and it is basically just a teamplay game-mode of an Arena shooter, it playes very similar, and lest we forget, it started out as a Quake mod.
TF2 isn't really comparable as far as genres go. The two games are nothing alike.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
So? It's apparently cool to have something before everyone else. See: Gmail beta.

That no doubt acounts for some of the attention QL has gotten, but i doubt it acounts for it all.

My take on Quake Live is: why not just play Q3 + Team Arena + CPMA? It's a much better experience and much easier to work with. I am guessing people will get bored with it pretty quick and they will have a few hundred players stick with it. It feels like a ten year old game, after all (because it is).

I don't disagree, i didn't care much for Q3A (the movement in Quake allways bothered me) and i dont care much for QL for the same reason, but i am not arguing that QL is the new gold here, just that rumours of the genres death may be premature, there was quite a buzz around UT3 before its release aswell, the game just dissapointed with both demo and the final product, as have all the latest offerings in the genre, there really hasen't been a worthy succesor to UT and Q3A.

TF2 isn't really comparable as far as genres go. The two games are nothing alike.

I disagree strongly, you've got your red and blue team, game pace, gunplay and movement is extremely similar (so much so that it would not be a problem to make a Team Fortress mod for any UT or Quake game, without even bothering to tweak the Playerpawn's base code, just add individual abilities ontop of them), and the gamerules are basically the same as CTF in any arena shooter.

The only real difference here is that TF2 has classes and you don't need to pick up weapons as you go, this is not a huge difference, we've seen plenty UT mods have this, and to be frank, ONS and War style weapon lockers practically serve the same purpose.

They are not identical games, no, but the TF series has its roots firmly planted in Arena shooters, and it shows, and i'll wager that TF2 players would take kindly to the teamplay modes in a good Arena shooter and feel right at home with both the combat, movement and the gamerules.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Options 3. The public servers are totally dead, people who gave up on the game or hated it won't come back because of a patch and Betrayal Pots.
Most people didn't hate the game itself. They hated the fact that it was supposed to be a PC game first and ended up seeming more like a console port; and the fact that some popular customization features are missing (Not that I think they're necessary personally, but people are demanding them.)
There's nothing dysfunctional about teh core gameplay. Last I checked, most people think it's an improvement over 2k4 in that area- the game is faster and deadlier.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't disagree, i didn't care much for Q3A (the movement in Quake allways bothered me) and i dont care much for QL for the same reason, but i am not arguing that QL is the new gold here, just that rumours of the genres death may be premature, there was quite a buzz around UT3 before its release aswell, the game just dissapointed with both demo and the final product, as have all the latest offerings in the genre, there really hasen't been a worthy succesor to UT and Q3A.
Maybe, but a lot of people also played Quake 4 before they realized it was terrible :)
I disagree strongly, you've got your red and blue team, game pace, gunplay and movement is extremely similar (so much so that it would not be a problem to make a Team Fortress mod for any UT or Quake game, without even bothering to tweak the Playerpawn's base code, just add individual abilities ontop of them), and the gamerules are basically the same as CTF in any arena shooter.

The only real difference here is that TF2 has classes and you don't need to pick up weapons as you go, this is not a huge difference, we've seen plenty UT mods have this, and to be frank, ONS and War style weapon lockers practically serve the same purpose.

They are not identical games, no, but the TF series has its roots firmly planted in Arena shooters, and it shows, and i'll wager that TF2 players would take kindly to the teamplay modes in a good Arena shooter and feel right at home with both the combat, movement and the gamerules.
I honestly just can't agree. I guess it depends on how loosely you define "arena shooter" and how loosely you define "fast paced". TF2 isn't even in the same league as UT/Q3 in terms of pacing, and in terms of gameplay balance they couldnt' be farther apart.

If you just mean "they both emphasize teamplay", I guess I'd agree, but then you could also lump Halo in there and I don't think you'd call that an arena shooter either :p Arena shooters emphasize twitch gameplay, something that neither TF2 nor Halo provide for at all.