1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3, the day after Titan Pack speculations

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by DDRRE, Feb 28, 2009.

?

What do you think will happen with UT3's popularity after the patch?

1. New players buying the game, older players returning, online community thriving.

36.3%
  2. Players will try it, but won't give a 1.5 year old game a second chance.

41.5%
  3. No one cares about UT3 anymore, barely anyone will download the patch.

11.1%
  4. Other

11.1%
  1. DDRRE

DDRRE Flesh is a design flaw.

Gentlemen, start your engines!

2. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

3. DDRRE

Poll ^^

Yeah, this forum system uploads the thread before the user finishes writing a poll down.

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I want the first to happen. But it seems that the second is most likely :(

5. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I think something between the first and second one so I voted for the first one.

6. DDRRE

Yeah, I guess I voted for what I hoped, not the probable scenario, unfortunately. :(

7. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Those who still play UT3 will get the patch, some players who played UT3 before will give it a second chance, same with a few people who haven't played UT3 before. However, I think most people won't return or bother getting UT3.

8. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Voted the second.
    I expect a beginning of a new set of complains.

9. DDRRE

I just thought of something.. should the game be re-released like UT2004 (ECE), it might garner some new players into the scene, without forcing us oldbies to buy the game again (UT2003)

10. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

I voted for "Other", because none of the answers are matching my thoughts about it..

11. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

First! I'm an optimist! :)
    And yes, I bet they'll re-release UT3 after the Titan pack is out.

12. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

They will not, they already said it.....

13. DazJW

DazJW Member

People who still play it will still be here, a small amount of people who have it and don't play it will try it again and a very small amount of new players might appear depending on how well publicised it is.

It's not going to miraculously make UT3 become popular, there just isn't the demand for an old style death match game in the face of things like Call of Duty. People generally don't like starting with a borderline useless weapon and then getting killed before they can get a better one. Even with Halo and it's on the map weapon pick-ups you still get a very usable starting weapon. Plus the people who do like that style of game can now play Quake Live for free.

VCTF and Warfare are nice, but the vehicles just aren't as good as the vehicles in other games.

14. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 .Lateral Thought.

Hoping for first, expecting the second

15. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

Explain Quake Live and it's apparent success then, yeah its free, but UT3 allmost is aswell at the prices its going for thease days (i see it go for $10 USD routinely, even as low as $5 USD on occation), and free or not, QL seems to fly in the face of the "nobody wants arena shooters" argument.

It has long been said that UT3's problem was not it's core gameplay, but the manner in which it was exicuted, and i belive that to be painfully true.

Now they are finally doing something about the horrible exicution of UT3, but will it be enough? is it just too late? who knows, i guess time will tell.

I can say one thing though, they still have lots to do if they want us Offline players to return to this game, a lot of us still find it wanting even with the propposed features of the next patch and the Titan expansion.

16. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I know a couple of people who bought ut3 after the patch was announced, and about a handful who already own it and have reinstalled it.
    Doubt it will have a lasting effect, but it's already helping epic's rep a lot.

17. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 .Lateral Thought.

In any case, It definitely won't hurt.

18. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

#2. Of course it's nice to see them work hard on implementing a few new things here and there, but TBH it's dead, any attempts in reviving it won't be as successful than by creating a new UT again.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  19. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Concurred. While I don't think it'll be booming and thriving, I do think there will be a notable increase.

20. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

I picked 'other' as I see something in between the extremes of "miracle comeback" (choice 1) and "deader than dead" (choice 2/3).