Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Time for an update!

As you are reading this I finished porting Drunkenobi's maps. This means that half of the levels are done now. To show you how these levels fared under my wing, I'll show you a comparison shot for each level. The upper screenshot is before, the lower screenshot is after I got my hands on the map.

Attachments

• Sorayama.jpg
    Sorayama.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Core.jpg
    Core.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Loathing.jpg
    Loathing.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Coagulate.jpg
    Coagulate.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Sorry for double post

...And here's Brickyard. Had to double post because the max. allowed files are 5.

Attachments

• Brickyard.jpg
    Brickyard.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 62

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Dear god, the lighting in the Kenobi's version are totally lame compared to yours! :)

These shots really remind me of the times with the PS2 UT. It had its own feeling.

Cyberia-Mix

Aug 20, 2008
Looks really great Wander. When do you plan on releasing the maps?
I play Drunkenobi's maps in lan with friends and we'd love to play yours. :D

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Sorry for the late reply. First of all, thanks for the great reactions! :D
Looks like cool work, if you finish the maps i will offer it as (mappack) package and as single downloads from www.UnrealTexture.com
That would be really awesome! I'll send you the maps as soon as they are finished.

Looks really great Wander. When do you plan on releasing the maps?
I play Drunkenobi's maps in lan with friends and we'd love to play yours. :D
I'm not sure how long it'll take to do the remaining maps. Normally it's possible to create a map for UT in just only a few days, but since these are ports I need to make sure the scaling is exact to the original ones, and this could take a while, depending on the map. So I can't really put a release date on it. All I can say is that I think this mappack would make a nice Christmas present for you. ;)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Okay, it's time for an update. A small one, I'm afraid. I'll be honest and say that I haven't worked a lot on these ports lately, mainly due to other projects which I've got going on right now. This doesn't mean that work on these maps has ceased, no no. Progress is just a lot slower than it used to be.

Anyway, here are some shots to show two maps which are in the completion stages. Osiris needs a bot network, that's all. Maybe some lighting tweaks as well.

Attachments

• Spirito.jpg
    Spirito.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Osiris.jpg
    Osiris.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Nice to see you're still working on it, I'm really looking forward to try those maps out.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I think I have a copy of DOM-Hood somewhere. I got off the DC version of UT. The rest of the maps are in some other weird format.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I think I have a copy of DOM-Hood somewhere. I got off the DC version of UT. The rest of the maps are in some other weird format.

I also remember DM-Barricade as only PC compatible map from DC version of UT. Others were in some kind of their own proprietary format.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
OSIRIS really looked that low poly? I never played the original so I wonder...
But it's more like a map under inferior engine than Unreal engine..
Anyway overally UT maps were less detailed than Unreal ones always, except for the bonuspacks.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It was low-poly because the PS2 was badly optimized to run UT; you had FPS drops everywhere, and it would freeze in maps such as Conveyor.
But Osiris is still my favourite DOM map, awesome layout.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It was low-poly because the PS2 was badly optimized to run UT; you had FPS drops everywhere, and it would freeze in maps such as Conveyor.

That's really interesting, since it should handle Unreal engine just fine, heck first Unreal was going to be ported to playstation and other console they worked on it with some other team as well.
I mean from what I've seen a lot of PS2 games have a lot more advanced graphics than UT, so wtf.........even if PS2 UT included all skeletal models, it isn't reason for that, I guess the bad optimization is a reason then as you said...

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I think I'm going to have to add blocking volumes on top of the outer walls. It wasn't done in the PS2 version, but if I leave it as it is now, it's going to be way too easy to break the map layout by translocating onto the rooftops, pretty much like you could in Drunkenobi's port of Hood.

As for the polycount of the levels, yes, these PS2 maps really do have incredible low amounts of polys compared to the maps built for the PC. Furthermore, all of these exclusive are very small maps, so it's easy to see that this was all done to keep the framerates solid. I remember Cliff saying in interviews they had quite some trouble porting it to the PlayStation 2 mainly due to the low amount of RAM the machine had to offer.

Last edited: