Cliff Bleszinski Responds To Critics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Those two comments from you contradict themselves if UT3 was a PC game first why was the menu designed for consoles first and then at the last minute changed for a 'PC' friendly version?

Because you're reading a reporters story about a lecture given at a conference, not what was actually said. Nothing was changed at the last minute and the UI video demonstrated in the lecture was never actually implemented.

I understand many of you have little but the Internet to base your opinions on, but I would strongly encourage skepticism as ones default position.

It could be said that the name change from UT2007 to UT3 symbolizes the game's corruption...

As long as reality and "what actually happened" aren't important in that symbol :).

Last edited:

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
Because you're reading a reporters story about a lecture given at a conference, not what was actually said. Nothing was changed at the last minute and the UI video demonstrated in the lecture was never actually implemented.

I understand many of you have little but the Internet to base your opinions on, but I would strongly encourage skepticism as ones default position.

So you are basically saying that Gamespot's reporter misquoted you? What about 1up's reporter:
Likewise, Morris attributed the game's lackluster user interface to last-minute changes and insufficient time to make needed refinements. Epic's President Mike Capps described [the UI] simply as "f#*ked"

Admitably the part about the old user interface may have been not entirely true but they both can't be lying about these so called last minute changes I know February might be a long time ago but maybe you actually said that. :lol:

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I have to agree with jeffy boy on this one: The name change had nothing to do with this games failure.
The day the name change was announced was also the day UT3 was announced to come on the 360. Before that day (ok, it might not be exactly that day! :p), the info we had about the upcoming game talked about Conquest, talking to bots, and awesome online features. After that day, the new info talked about a single player campaign about a war and a possible leaning movement in the PS3 version... Of course I don't know what the real story is, but it's clear to me that Epic at some point felt obliged to target the game to a wider audience (offline and console players), making many old fans feel disappointed... :rolleyes: The name change is just an(other) evidence of that (it was confirmed by Epic the name was changed because of console and marketing reasons wasn't it?), although of course it is not directly related to the game's failure (hell, we all wanted the new UT to be called UT3! :))

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...Nevertheless, the PC sector of retail is actually pretty easily quanitified, and that's where the huge drop is occuring: total dollars spent at retail on PC. And again, this isn't to say PC gaming is dying, just that retail is in sharp decline.
To be fair, I wouldn't dispute that. As a contributor towards that trend I guess I'm as guilty as anyone. However, does it really make that big a difference? As PC gamers aren't we supposed to be an older demographic than our console wielding counterparts?

If anything I'm buying more games now than I ever have done in the past (although this could be random chance based upon the games that are being released at the moment).

btw - thanks for continuing to taking to the time to post to this thread. I don't have to agree with you to find the discussion interesting.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
out of interest could you provide a link?
It said something like this:
'The 2007 thing might discourage the console community to try the game if they have not played the previous UT games. By changing the name and logo, console players, who have not heard of previous UT games, might not notice the III blood trails in the logo, so they would feel more interested in it since it seems to be a brand new game.'
I don't remember where I read it (I think it was an interview released before the game came out) and I'm not 100% sure it was someone from Epic who said it... TBH I remember it beause it was bitched about in the forums... :D

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
So you are basically saying that Gamespot's reporter misquoted you?

Not at all, I'm skipping the whole "quoting" thing and describing the actual events:

Nothing was changed at the last minute and the UI video demonstrated in the lecture was never actually implemented.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
It said something like this:
'The 2007 thing might discourage the console community to try the game if they have not played the previous UT games. By changing the name and logo, console players, who have not heard of previous UT games, might not notice the III blood trails in the logo, so they would feel more interested in it since it seems to be a brand new game.'
I don't remember where I read it (I think it was an interview released before the game came out) and I'm not 100% sure it was someone from Epic who said it... TBH I remember it beause it was bitched about in the forums... :D
That's a damn fine quote :tup:. Interesting to look back on....

Axeman

Jan 22, 2004
I really don't care one way or the other about consoles and GoW2. Some people like them, some don't. I like some games on consoles and think they work better on console than they do/would on PC. I simply prefer PC games because that's just what I prefer. I didn't buy a 30" monitor and build a gaming rig to just play solitaire.

However, what I do care about is UT3.

If the UI has been described in such a manner as Mike Capps described it- why hasn't the UI had a complete overhaul?

Perhaps recent patches have made headway in that direction- I'm not 100% sure as I uninstalled UT3 before the last patch came out (1.3?).
I found it odd that UWindows2 won Best Tool in MSUC- although I haven't tried it. Why did it take a member of the community to make something work that should have been working in the first place is my question?

I still stand by my earlier point- ship a finished, polished, quality PC game and the players will buy it and play it. Ship a beta and don't be surprised when sales and player numbers aren't meeting expectations. Word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising. When people rave about a game- fence dwellers will shell out the money for it. Likewise- when people are not impressed the opposite is sure to happen.

I don't mean to be crass as I know a tremendous amount of work went into the making of UT3 (or any AAA game for that matter), however I question the direction taken and decisions made by the producer(s) on many aspects of UT3 that would have made it a polished game to rave about.

Last edited:

nthexwn

May 9, 2005
Seattle, WA, USA
Hmmmm

Which is more immature?

A.) A customer expresses his disgust in regards to an important figure within a company who's products he's been purchasing and using weekly for over 10 years since he feels that this individual's decisions regarding the focus of the company have overlooked the interests of consumers such as himself.

or

B.) A prominent individual in a company conducts community relations after a public blunder by using his position as a soapbox from which to spread a mixture of facts and personal opinions while utterly ignoring constructive criticism and pretending that everything will work out okay in the end.

On the bright side Wartourist's avatar makes a great visual aid and is incredibly conducive to my growing inclination towards base knuckle orthidonture practice on said individual!

Also:

I'm skipping the whole "quoting" thing and describing the actual events:

You mean like how Sarah Palin skips the whole "filter of the press" thing and talks directly to Joe Sixpack? Outsanding public figureheads must think alike!

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Which is more immature?

A.) A customer expresses his disgust in regards to an important figure within a company who's products he's been purchasing and using weekly for over 10 years since he feels that this individual's decisions regarding the focus of the company have overlooked the interests of consumers such as himself.

or

B.) A prominent individual in a company conducts community relations after a public blunder by using his position as a soapbox from which to spread a mixture of facts and personal opinions while utterly ignoring constructive criticism and pretending that everything will work out okay in the end.

On the bright side Wartourist's avatar makes a great visual aid and is incredibly conducive to my growing inclination towards base knuckle orthidonture practice on said individual!
internetseriosww5.jpg

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Which is more immature?

or

Also:

You mean like how Sarah Palin skips the whole "filter of the press" thing and talks directly to Joe Sixpack? Outsanding public figureheads must think alike!

^ immature :lol:

Funny how this thread went from focusing on what Cliffy B (oops can't say that no more :lol: ) said, to focusing on Wartourist... gettin' the BU hater's love... just curious how do you manage to get work done and 'troll'... I mean... reply to this thread at the same time :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Which is more immature?
You assume too much.

As an aside, it's worth throwing out that in addition to the shrinking PC games market, there's been a shift in the kind of game that the PC gamer is buying in droves and high-end fast arcade-ish shooters just don't seem to fit the bill these days.

Someone mentioned Max Payne 1/2 earlier in the thread, but I'd say simply that those were made an eterinty ago... just like Unreal Tournament. BioShock is a more recent example of a commercially successful sci-fi PC game. I hope Epic Games takes notice of that fact and instead of running away from the platform, they tailor their games to suit the market. By that I mean, I hope they do whatever needs to be done to bring a AAA re-thought version of Unreal to the PC. :)