Cliff Bleszinski Responds To Critics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Soz was reffering to Trakmania Forever, huge difference when it comes to the UI. It's country specific so for instance I wanna join a server in Germany. I just click on the Germany flag and a bunch of servers popup. Right under that window is a search Glass or you can click the players tab then search for a player. It's almost perfect now in terms of accessibility. I can agree with you on Trackmania Nations, but they did a great job in polishing it.

Trackmania forever is free. You can upgrade it to Trackmania United Forever(Updated version basically)

In other words.
Trackmania Nations = UT2003
Trackmania Forever = UT2004

Also like to add they ditched StarForce and went steam

Actually, I was talking about TM Nations Forever (didn't bother to look up the full title).

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Actually, I was talking about TM Nations Forever (didn't bother to look up the full title).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackmania
Check out the dates and releases of them. When was the last time you played it?
Anyways In the latest release everything is there, search functions, friends list, lobby's etc.

With UT3 your currently stuck with IRC (If you know which channels to join and how to use it) and 3rd party like XFIRE to keep in touch with friends. That or if your lucky enough to live near a server which is active most of the time.

At least MapMixer brought new life to offline play not to mention HOLP2 etc.
Think I'm gonna stop complaining about UT3 get on with more important things. Had enough of politics, piracy, end of AAA games for Personal Computer talks for the day.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
it was a little while ago, but the start menu item in windows says "TmNationsForever", version 2.11.11 and no updates are reported.

I finally get why you had a problem.
I clicked the magnifying glass and then entered the name of what I wanted to search. CLicked on the search button, but nothing happened. I then realised you must double click the search button, in a single click interface...

Well nothing is perfect :rolleyes:

Last edited:

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
Most of them were ports from older games, anyway, I was being sarcastic.

I know you were. You're wrong about Apple II games though. Many of them were original. Besides, at those times Commodore/Atari/Spectrum and later PC and Amgiga shared most of the games, practically every publisher was trying to publish a game for as many platforms as possible. Holy platform wars started back. Nothing changes since then I guess. :lol:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
I'm sure console makers will have to change and improve protection systems in future because of the growing piracy problem. All you hear is about the problems on the PC but once PC gaming has died out or found a final solution then it will be problem of piracy on consoles in the media and epic will surely be shouting about it.

Pirates are jobless, pathetic, bored, lonely losers(+virgins+tiny organ but thinks its huge) in their mother's basements mad at the world who spend their days trying to pirate a top title and be "first!!!" (another retarded craze) for some kind of weird claim to fame and bragging rights even though nobody knows who they are plus pirates obviously cannot reveal who they are.

There's so many people who orgasm their pants when they see a torrent or whatever of a pirated piece of entertainment. Pirates must love games too, right? or do most stop playing after a little while and say "that sucks", unable to truly immerse themselves because they have such a short, retarded attention span and are too greedy and selfish thinking about everything they want to get their hands on freely in life, racking up the next 100 torrents to download so they can watch or play through half way of more stuff and then say it sucks and delete it.

People rape everything, non stop, it all rolls into a big black hole and people stop appreciating and cherishing individual things.

I can't stand people who treat entertainment created for our enjoyment like trash.

People don't know how lucky they are.

Rant over :)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I find it funny that we're always going on about the death of the PC gaming, yet ... it's still alive and kicking? People said this in the late 80's, mid 90's, late 90's and now the 00's ...

People pirate because they can. That's why most of us do anything really, because we can. I modded Unreal for years just because I can.

Anyways ... there will always be pirates, but who exactly are they? As a game developer, I try to listen closely to those who pay for games and those who don't. Like a wise person said, if I made a game for the Chinese market and then find out that 95% of the people pirated the game is that a 'duh' moment or a 'I told you so' moment. At the end of the day, make games for the people who are going to buy your game ... not the other way around.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
Well I wasn't saying gaming on the pc will definitely die one day - it wont. It was a what if statement, if one of the 2 happened (death, or final piracy solution) then the focus would instantly go to consoles - pirates will, developers/publishers will and of course the media.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Piracy is made possible by the warez scene. Piracy is selling fake copies as if they were real. Downloading a cracked copy is not piracy.

The warez scene is not about money. It's about the race, to be the first to release X. Software had the extra obstacle to crack X. So, the important factors in the warez scene is to get a hold of the copy before it's in the stores, and to crack the DRM to make illegitimate copies work. For the warez scene there is no fun in products releases digitally without DRM. There is no challenge.
So.. who will distribute copies of the games that the warez scene didn't touch? Normal users (who would help distribute the warez releases either way), but there's a chance it will be less. Specially when it's priced properly.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
Piracy is made possible by the warez scene. Piracy is selling fake copies as if they were real. Downloading a cracked copy is not piracy.

Erm, I have to disagree.. piracy is stealing(robbing), so can be used to describe all stages of the chain, downloading is stealing so is obviously piracy!

selling fake goods can be described as piracy too like you say and if the item is made to look like it's genuine it's called a counterfeit item rather than a pirated item.

You're right about price though, I think if it's low enough "normal users" are more likely to buy it than choose the high seas. When stores have sales and reduce prices of items, they instantly go to the top of the charts, just because of price - and it's the not sure people or waiters who wait for price drops and sales instead of going the high seas route. Take play.com for example, their current sale mass effect on pc got reduced to £9.99... it instantly went to the top of the pc chart top 10 having not been in it for a while. It soon stole the spot from spore after a few days. £10 is definitely a sweet spot for a pc game, if you wait. I'll only pay full on a game that I want really badly on release.

As we all know, or some of us forget, piracy effects every kind of software available. Warez has been huge for years, but people do make money from warez, they sell what they download to people at the bottom of the chain who don't have access or knowledge to it. I remember back in college when I was 16 I had to buy music software from someone because I didn't have that kind of money for it. Circumstances can mean everything, but it's the kind of piracy where the middle and upper classes pirate everything in sight without supporting anything that's the worst.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Erm, I have to disagree.. piracy is stealing(robbing), so can be used to describe all stages of the chain, downloading is stealing so is obviously piracy!

selling fake goods can be described as piracy too like you say and if the item is made to look like it's genuine it's called a counterfeit item rather than a pirated item.

Code:
  Piracy \Pi"ra*cy\, n.; pl. {Piracies}. [Cf. LL. piratia, Gr. ?.
     See {Pirate}.]
     1. The act or crime of a pirate.
        [1913 Webster]

2. (Common Law) Robbery on the high seas; the taking of
        property from others on the open sea by open violence;
        without lawful authority, and with intent to steal; -- a
        crime answering to robbery on land.
        [1913 Webster]
        [1913 Webster]

Note: By statute law several other offenses committed on the
           seas (as trading with known pirates, or engaging in the
           slave trade) have been made piracy.
           [1913 Webster]

[B]     3. "Sometimes used, in a quasi-figurative sense, of violation
        of copyright; but for this, infringement is the correct
        and preferable term." --Abbott.[/b]
        [1913 Webster]

If it was piracy then people would be in court for piracy and not copyright infringement.

As for download => stealing. Not true either. When you download you create clones of bytes, the original bytes are left unharmed. So you're not taking away anything. With stealing (as in theft) the original owner no longer has access to the stolen object.

Please stop making natural language even more ambiguous than it already is. Otherwise me might as well say that downloading illegitimate copies is environment pollution.

Last edited:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
lol, this is a little retarded. You've just posted the meaning of piracy, and clearly it has a meaning of theft.

Most people, and media outlets use the term piracy when it involves the obtaining of illegally distributed copyright protected content.

Why do you have to try and be different, and try to provide an excuse that it is not theft when you obtain a file which contains such content? If you manually obtained the file, then you did the act. Doesn't matter how you obtain something, it's still theft (piracy).

If you don't see it as piracy or theft then fine, but I think you're the exception.

your definition of theft in these situations (downloading pirated game) cannot be applied, theft does not have to mean something is not multiple in number and that when something is stolen it goes from a to b physically.

Sorry but I think anyone who has created their own material which is copyrighted will frown at your post....

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Thats not what he's saying Labnetik, he's saying that the correct term is actually "Copyright infringement", which is also a crime, and he's right, technically that is what we should be calling it, and when a "pirate" is tried before a court of law, the charge is allways "Copyright infringement" and not "Piracy" since that is infact the crime we are dealing with.

It's all silly semantics ofcourse, but technically he's right.. but i still prefer "Pirate" because its quicker to type :D

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
technically, in a court of law/law terms yeah?

lol.. we're not a bunch of lawyers :)

but also technically, in the english language, and outside discussion of it, piracy can be used, or theft, stealing, robbed, anything like that.

you can't make up an excuse that it's not, just because it's a copy of something.

the copyright infringers of the high seas :D

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Just because the majority is wrong doesn't make it right.

If you feel like piracy is the correct term, then why not call it rape? Because you are raping the developers from income. Actually, semantically rape is more correct that piracy in case of this form of copyright infringement.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Calling it piracy is relatively harmless. Here, everyone usually calls it something like "theft copying" or maybe "copy thieving". As if you physically remove someone else's property when you download it.