UT3 online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I have a question I probably will get flamed for... ...but I can stand it and ask anyways:

As I couldn't finde the info on gamespy and are too lazy to look it up elsewhere:

How many EU-servers are there for the UT3 version of FREON? I know the mod exists, but forgot the name.

I ask this because I like the infantry gameplay better then UT2004s. So I am not interested in WAR. I also don'T like FFA DM and are not dedicated enough to look for clans and pugs in UT3. I find FREON quite fun for a pub-gametpye.

The UT3-case is on my desk again. Now I am askying myself (and you) if it is worth to install it again. :)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There's many reasons why IA sucks in UT3, and most of them are, predictably enough, UI related.

Well im bored and have nothing usefull to do right now, so i might aswell get out my favorite whacking stick, and give this horse another good thrashing! yay!

1) We all know that UT3's UI is not very fun to work with, its clunky and poorly laid out, you need to go through several screens to get anything done.. well, thats not a huge problem if all you do with it is click the server browser and join a game, but this is not the case when playing IA, you need to use that horrible thing quite often, more so than ever now, because UT3 wont remember anything, not only do you have to reselect all your muties and bots every time you start the game, it wont even remember basic stuff like last map played between matches.
Seriously, the UI alone just drains the fun right out of it, its like you have to fill out a form every bloody time you want to play, a tax form at that! so it is all too easy to decide to just launch one of your other, more user freindly games instead, like one of the older UT's for instance..

2) There's very little you can do with a match, just add x amount of bots and start a map with X time and fraglimit, thats pretty much it, in the past we used to get much more, like configuring spawnprotection, enabeling or disabeling brightskins (ohh how i loathe them), configure freindly fire scale, config end of match delay time, allow weapon throwing, eh it goes on like this, i could probably go open UT2004 and write down a long list of them all, but my point should be made by now, there's a lot of gametype configuration that UT3 just doesen't have, and i miss it!

3) Bot selection, she is, how you say? le pewp! seriously, its just rubbish in UT3, no team selection, you can't see the bots you are adding, you can't make uneven teams, you can't set their default orders or tweak their combat behaviour, or set their preferred weapon, its just barren of all the things that used to be there, and for me its a deal breaker, i can't use this crap after having played the past UT's.

4) Eff yeah! Eff yeah! Mmm Giblets! Eff yeah! Me hungry! Eff yeah! MAKE IT STOP!!! mein gott why wont they just shut up allready!? WHY!!? plase make them stop, i can't go on any more.. :(

5) The bots themselves are just not fun, bunch of wallhacking aimbotters the lot, not that UT bots have ever been the pinnacle of AI brilliance, but atleast they used to feel a bit human and where fun, now though, they have the response time of a paranoid gnat, and they can see through walls, nothing's funner then rounding a corner and starring down the smoothbore barrel of a Goliath aiming right at you, and he's allready pressed the trigger even before you rounded the corner..
And the difficulty settings are all messed up, its nolonger a linear curve, they can either suck unbelivably hard, or they can be CS h4xx0rz (not that you can't beat them, they just dont play fair), there is no middle ground, it just doesen't work.
The whole thing just smacks of "Fake difficulty", and they are not fun to play with.

So in summary, its a pain to set up a match the way you want, there's lots of configuration that you can nolonger do, and when you finally get the game started, the AI is not even fun.. and add to this all the generic pitfalls of UT3 that onliners also have to deal with, all of thouse annoyances, all of thouse missing config options, and you have created pure undiluted suck in its rawest form.

In all seriousness though, i'm beeing overly mean to the game here, but the point is, its just not fun, and games are supposed to be about the fun, sure IA may not technically be "broken", but its a swift kick to the nads comming from UT2004, its all the hassle with none of the payoff.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Most of the ANTI-UT3 crowd does not play UT3 and if they did, many would spend more time configuring it than actually playing. Complaints about very specific items , most I have never even heard of or have little or no interest in. I spend my time playing online and not worrying about if my boots look cool enough. They want to make the game something else. UT3 is what it is and has GREAT play.

Bot complaints are BS. Bots are only important when playing offline. Offline play is only to learn the maps, weapons, gameplay, etc. Playing instant action is how you learn the basics. You want to know all the maps well before you play them online. You want to know how to play the different gametypes before you play them online. You want to learn the vehicles offline before you use them online. Most of the ANTI UT3 crowd are very anti vehicle and do not even take into account any game type with them in it.

The quality of gameplay in UT3 is fantastic. UT3 is way faster than UT2004, way more intense. There are usually plenty of servers with players on them in the US as well as across the pond. I play WARfare everyday. According to most of the ANTI UT3 crowd that game type does not even count. Warfare, vehicle capture the flag, capture the flag, team death match, and death match are the game types available. Most of ANTI UT3 the posts made here do not have anything to do with the quality of gameplay at all.

To me UT3 is WARfare, period. All the other game types are just ways of honing your skills. WARfare is where they all come together. Again, the ANTI UT3 crowd does not play the game, and only have excuses not to. The game is solid and the quality of players is very good online. The ANTI UT3 peeps are just that, anti, and they do not want anyone to play the game. There are many US clans and most have both internal and external ladders to play as well as the UGL, Unreal Gaming League, for clan vs clan matches.

The game is not dead as many of the UT3 crowd claims. The game is only dead for them. I suggest checking out the EPIC UT3 game forum as well. There are 5 times more folks on it than here. Many of them actually play the game and can get you first hand info rather than complain about some strange mutator or clitchy UI, user interface, that to them is more important than the actual game play.

UT3 is the fastest, most intense, and most right up in your face killing game ever! That is the bottom line, nothing else is even close. I can say this because I actually play the game online with other human players.

This is me --> http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats.php?id=115387683

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Bot complaints are BS. Bots are only important when playing offline. Offline play is only to learn the maps, weapons, gameplay, etc. Playing instant action is how you learn the basics. You want to know all the maps well before you play them online. You want to know how to play the different gametypes before you play them online. You want to learn the vehicles offline before you use them online.

Totally disagree. I prefer to learn that stuff online. There was NEVER an OFFLINE mode for me in any FPS game. I like to learn the maps ONLINE... the weapons ONLINE.... the gametypes ONLINE.

Anyone that bitches about the OFFLINE aspect of an ONLINE FPS.... well... I can't even fathom those complaints...

Well, except for maybe UT3 since there are only like 2 CTF servers out there.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
well lets see instant action is... instant action, it doesnt suck unless you make it suck. if you mean the "campaign" well that was less than stellar for sure, but it didnt suck as bad as... insert something crappy here

Grobut has pretty much nailed the reasons why I think UT3 instant action sucks.

Campaign didn't suck as bad as... AIDS?

Offline play is only to learn the maps, weapons, gameplay, etc. Playing instant action is how you learn the basics. You want to know all the maps well before you play them online. You want to know how to play the different gametypes before you play them online. You want to learn the vehicles offline before you use them online.

L-O-L. Tell that to the 50% of ut2k4 players who never went online. I was one of them. I like UT3 online, but I like setting up my own games and playing with my mutators and settings even more. The previous UT games have catered to this, and that has kept me playing them for years. UT3 tossed it out the window. Now I only start up UT3 when I'm in the mood for multiplayer (which is not nearly as often). I look for completely different types of experiences in offline and online play, you see, and it's wonderful to have the choice of both in the same game.

I don't care if you're too egocentric to acknowledge that some people hold different values than you, the fact is that UT3 offers less variety of experiences than the previous games, and the slashing of things purely on the UI side, that they could have implemented without even touching the central gameplay mechanics has left them with a lot of unhappy customers.

And you can sit there and say "I decree that the purpose of such-and-such is this, you're all using it wrong, etc. etc." but I think Epic do care about their large amount of offline players, but unfortunately drew the wrong conclusion from the numbers, and decided to *cough* improve the campaign aspect, and they cut the wrong things out.

So go ahead and tell us we're "wrong" for liking the things we do, the fact is the other UT games let us do what we liked, this one doesn't, and the bottom line is that more people are unsatisfied.

So how exactly is that different than what he did in his post?

Maybe you didn't read what he condensed your quote into, I think that was his real point, and that is the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...4) Eff yeah! Eff yeah! Mmm Giblets! Eff yeah! Me hungry! Eff yeah! MAKE IT STOP!!! mein gott why wont they just shut up allready!? WHY!!? plase make them stop, i can't go on any more.. :( ..
Quoted for truth. Taunts how I hate thee.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Bot complaints are BS. Bots are only important when playing offline. Offline play is only to learn the maps, weapons, gameplay, etc. Playing instant action is how you learn the basics. You want to know all the maps well before you play them online. You want to know how to play the different gametypes before you play them online. You want to learn the vehicles offline before you use them online. Most of the ANTI UT3 crowd are very anti vehicle and do not even take into account any game type with them in it.

This totally made your post redundant in my eyes. I want to know all the maps well anyway, i don't play instant action to learn maps and then play online. I play instant action for fun.
I enjoy bots. You are delusional.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
oldkawman:The quality of gameplay in UT3 is fantastic. UT3 is way faster than UT2004, way more intense. There are usually plenty of servers with players on them in the US as well as across the pond. I play WARfare everyday. According to most of the ANTI UT3 crowd that game type does not even count. Warfare, vehicle capture the flag, capture the flag, team death match, and death match are the game types available. Most of ANTI UT3 the posts made here do not have anything to do with the quality of gameplay at all.

Sorry but I played Warfare for about five or six months and before that ONS since day one of the demo. (and still play)

The gameplay is faster and can be more intense but is shallower lacking in opportunity for tactical play. This I admit is mainly down to the stock maps but thats what the game shipped with. As I have posted before most are simple and linear and have IMO limited replay value. It has many lesser flaws but for me that was the killer. The game type does have some genuine improvements over ONS but they do not save it from being less fun.

You have a strange definition of plenty as again with roughly 500 players (a pretty generous guesstimate) at peak times spread across all game types covering all countries you won't fill up many servers in one particular gametype that will have acceptable pings. Let alone the chance of actually finding a reasonably balanced fun game.

To finish, Ons was arguably the most successful and consistently popular gametype in 2k4 which still has a small following about the size of Warfare. In my book that says there is something very wrong with the new version if it cannot retain a larger player base than its four and a half year old slower, less intense predecessor, especially as many of the people who I see on 2k4 servers are people who like myself left UT3.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
ONS was popular in UT2004, but I don't think it was consistently popular. It was rarely populated by the same people for weeks on end, instead it seemed to have both the highest player counts and the highest rate of revolving door velocity. :p

UT3 is just fine. Most of the people who have "gone back" to UT2004 simply don't like UT gameplay (which is much faster, much more in your face, much more about luck and fiery explosions of giblets gameplay than UT200X's run away and hide, if you're good you'll never die, pot shot me from a million miles away gameplay).

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
I think you nailed it there. That's why people have gone back, for the most part.

I take it that you are implying that they found it too hard. In which case I will rephrase the part you quoted...

In my book that says there is something very wrong with the new version if it cannot retain a larger player base than its four and a half year old slower, less intense predecessor, especially as many of the people who I see on ONS servers were the better UT3 players until they left.