Deus Ex...3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Stealth relying on cover systems would be more realistic than shadows though, but it would be better if they maybe used a combination or something.

-- Auto heal? *shakes head*

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Sleepy, when you said

Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills.
you forgot the next part of the paragraph
Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

I like that better. Honestly, if you are pointing a gun at someone's head, your stats shouldn't change if it hits his shoulder or if it kills him versus almost kills him. A bullet does a specific amount of damage, no matter what your stats are. Your aim may be better, your guns may be better, you can run faster or jump higher, but if you hit someone with a rocket, no matter what your 'skill' in it is, it does the same amount of damage. I also think that cover is a better stealth system than shadows because, come on, if the player can see things in the shadows, so can a guard.

Yeah, the heal sucks, but still, it seems to be a step in the right direction.

~Jason

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Frankly, DX1's health system wasn't exactly a marvel of design. Locational damage was something of a buzzword at the time and the game's health system was needlessly complicated, if for no reason but to show off their fancy smancy hit detection.

Besides, later on in the game your health did practically become auto-regenerative thanks to augmentations.

What got me interested is:
Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms.
20 bucks says the feature will be eventually cut, but... uhh... we don't exactly see that a lot in games these days, do we?

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Sleepy, when you said

I like that better. Honestly, if you are pointing a gun at someone's head, your stats shouldn't change if it hits his shoulder or if it kills him versus almost kills him. A bullet does a specific amount of damage, no matter what your stats are. Your aim may be better, your guns may be better, you can run faster or jump higher, but if you hit someone with a rocket, no matter what your 'skill' in it is, it does the same amount of damage. I also think that cover is a better stealth system than shadows because, come on, if the player can see things in the shadows, so can a guard.

Yeah, the heal sucks, but still, it seems to be a step in the right direction.

~Jason
Oy...... Skill is merely a way to enhance ones progression through a game, bonus damage is a reasonable skill effect as is accuracy, accuracy over time, accuracy while shooting,reload speed.

Proper shadows can easily hide soemone, any shadow...not so much so it just depends on how much work the devs want to put into it.

Realism? please realism is a an excuse to not build a deep game play mechanic....

Frankly, DX1's health system wasn't exactly a marvel of design. Locational damage was something of a buzzword at the time and the game's health system was needlessly complicated, if for no reason but to show off their fancy smancy hit detection.

Besides, later on in the game your health did practically become auto-regenerative thanks to augmentations.

What got me interested is:

20 bucks says the feature will be eventually cut, but... uhh... we don't exactly see that a lot in games these days, do we?
Ya but you had to go through most of the game and earn that regeneration by not taking another implant..... making it regen from the start kills pacing big time.......

I thoroughly enjoyed the location damage in DX 1 it was awesome, they could have scaled it back tad and have the bad effect wear off 20-90 seconds after...its a shame gaming is so twitch focused we cannot have deep and rich gameplay systems anymore...

Thats like saying Halo 1's shield Regen + normal health was not good and that regen systems after that were so much better...ya so much better if you like crap level design and twitch focused gameplay.... a regen system gives devs another excuse to not work on level design....

Then again BS dose not have regeneration it has fair level design..bad AI....worse pacing........*shudder*.........
Great, another legendary game ruined by the mass of idiots playing and designing games these days.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546&site=cvg

Aholes. Why aren't there any psychopathic murderers that happen to be fans of good old games?

QFT

So much for being hyped up and excited about the teaser trailer...

Guess my last salvation will be Dead Space where it looks like it's actually sticking to some oldschool goodness while bringing the few good new things of today in.

Now can anyone get the PCzone DX3 scans?

I hate 3rd P....after so many bad butt cam games of the mid/late 90s I NEED a FP view to really really enjoy game...altho I did enjoy Infernal...but..it was so bad it was good :p

Its a shame Red faction 3 is raped down for the masses as well.... then again 2 was an attempt to rape it down as well...

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Alright, excuse my initial rant, had to get it out. Some of this stuff doesn't necessarily mean it will ruin the game but it really really points towards that direction.

The regen health system is one of the bad no matter what things though.

I like that better.

Yeah, I know, did it on purpose. That other stuff was in the first game too. Skill level doesn't have to have anything to do with damage btw and I agree it shouldn't, but it should still be in the game for aiming, even if it's solely there for aiming. Better skill, better aiming, better handling, faster accurate shooting.

I disagree, I noticed it plenty while playing through the game and with the advance in technology they could really make something special out of it. Needlessly complicated? Life is needlessly complicated too and so are a bunch of other things that are a challenge, and this is supposed to be an fpsrpg. :p

Last edited:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Alright, excuse my initial rant, had to get it out. Some of this stuff doesn't necessarily mean it will ruin the game but it really really points towards that direction.

The regen health system is one of the bad no matter what things though.

Yeah, I know, did it on purpose. That other stuff was in the first game too. Skill level doesn't have to have anything to do with damage btw and I agree it shouldn't, but it should still be in the game for aiming, even if it's solely there for aiming. Better skill, better aiming, better handling, faster accurate shooting.

I disagree, I noticed it plenty while playing through the game and with the advance in technology they could really make something special out of it. Needlessly complicated? Life is needlessly complicated too and so are a bunch of other things that are a challenge, and this is supposed to be an fpsrpg. :p

and this is supposed to be an fpsrpg. :p

No its meant to be a mega hit seller, watered down for the masses like Bioshock. ^^

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
If well done, DX3 will be way better than Bioshock, Oblivion, Half-Life 2 & DX1.
I believe Eidos-Montreal can achieve it.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
If well done, DX3 will be way better than Bioshock, Oblivion, Half-Life 2 & DX1.
I believe Eidos-Montreal can achieve it.

I do not think it will be well done, I think it will be a mix of DX2 and Bioshock, only less biomod swapping.

Altho if they make the AI solid and make the damage system balanced(BS damage system was all unbalanced and on hard all the flaws come gushing to the surface) if they pace item intake alil better than BS it be a good game..but with the focus on lulzy twitch gaming...I just don't have much hope for it.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Oy...... Skill is merely a way to enhance ones progression through a game, bonus damage is a reasonable skill effect as is accuracy, accuracy over time, accuracy while shooting,reload speed.

Proper shadows can easily hide soemone, any shadow...not so much so it just depends on how much work the devs want to put into it.

Realism? please realism is a an excuse to not build a deep game play mechanic....

Its a shame Red faction 3 is raped down for the masses as well.... then again 2 was an attempt to rape it down as well...

Wow, I don't know how, exactly, I should respond to someone talking about how something was raped down for the masses... Oh well.

Here is the thing, you can upgrade your ammunition, and it will do more damage, okay. That's great (and it was something they were allowing for the game, weapon modification, btw), but one should not get a stat that causes more damage because they have a bio-implant. It has nothing to do with the damage a bullet does, it's an arbitrary game-design decision.

The same with shadows. Logic dictates that if I can see myself in the dark, then someone else should be able to. Arbitrary values of it's dark enough, even though I can perfectly make out the scenery around me defeat any attempts to have a congruent world.

You have part of a point in that realism shouldn't be an excuse for good gameplay mechanics, but you miss a point. Games need to integrate story into action. If you are going for something over the top and cartoony, ala TF2, go for whatever wacky stuff that world allows. DX has always tried to keep itself grounded in some sort of plausibility. Plausibility demands that the systems adhere to a form of reality we can actually accept. I can take laser guns, but I can't accept an accuracy mod in my body that somehow makes a bullet do more damage than before. I also can't deal with NOT having such a mod negate the fact that I, as a player, shot a person in the head, but the game, because of a system, has overridden my action and changed the outcome.

If you want something to be entirely stat based, make it a turn based RPG. I can deal with that. If you want something to require reflexes and action, then don't gimp the player by taking away what he's done because he didn't have the required implant, or whatever.

BTW, Red Faction wasn't exactly hardcore, as cool as it was. It was a PS2 shooter for goodness sake. ;-)

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No its meant to be a mega hit seller, watered down for the masses like Bioshock. ^^
OH WOW YOU DID NOT LIKE BIOSHOCK I DIDN'T KNOW!

Also, someone in here needs to tell me that, in a regularly lit area at nighttime that you cannot make out shadows moving around in the dark, dark as it may be. If it's inside a building with no light whatsoever, I find that a bit more believable.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
OH WOW YOU DID NOT LIKE BIOSHOCK I DIDN'T KNOW!

Also, someone in here needs to tell me that, in a regularly lit area at nighttime that you cannot make out shadows moving around in the dark, dark as it may be. If it's inside a building with no light whatsoever, I find that a bit more believable.

I'll agree its a 6 or a 7 but a 8+...? No.... A FPS RPG...NO.... then again I am a game nazi who's turned hims noes up to 70% of modern gaming designs. Thus my personal scores are always 1-3 points off modern review averages.

edit
Also do you go firing at shadows or sound the alarm? no you check it out :X and amke sure whoever is with him has to be taken out in time before he goes sound it because the other guy went missing.

See this makes them do something more with AI and they dun like that :p

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Uhhhh..... the most advanced AI I've seen in a stealth game is surely in Splinter Cell, but even they can't make out shadows moving RIGHT NEXT TO a lit area. They react based on sound and your personal "visibility".

Also, I'm sure you think of yourself as a "pro game designer" :)

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Uhhhh..... the most advanced AI I've seen in a stealth game is surely in Splinter Cell, but even they can't make out shadows moving RIGHT NEXT TO a lit area. They react based on sound and your personal "visibility".

Well ya just because there is a shadow dose not mean you are "invisible" thats what a visibility gauge is for and the ability to use "SOME" shadows, preferably the really dark kind.

Also, I'm sure you think of yourself as a "gaming hack" :)

Also, I'm sure you think of yourself as a "pro hack designer" :)
FIXED!!!

As long as hack in the title then yes that be me. ^^
:p

I know I suck, I know I talk to much and I know I am a game nazi so meh I failz.
:p

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site

Coming from an experienced nighttime Capture the Flag player (IRL version), you would be amazed at how effective hiding in shadows can be as long as you are completely still. I have simply lain down prone on a short-clipped grassy lawn which was far from completely dark and had people blow right by me because they were looking for someone running around.

If someone is in a more lit area or coming from indoors it works even better.

Guess what I'm saying it, I think being able to hide in shadows was an awesome feature and I wish it was still there. With modern lighting engines this could be implemented even better than previously.

Here's something from the wikipedia page that sounds encouraging to me:

In the same report, D’Astous expounded upon the development philosophy being implemented at the new studio. The philosophy focuses on smaller teams with multi-discipline employees. While embraced by the designers, this philosophy means that Deus Ex 3 is scheduled to develop for at least 18 months, if not 24 or more, which puts the earliest release date in the middle of 2009.

Last edited:

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Since when was Deus Ex a skill game? :con:

It was a pretty easy-going, story-heavy game. You spent most of your time chatting people up and walking from point A to point B. DX2 was a mediocre game, but I think a "washed down" Deus Ex can be very good stuff which captures the essence of the original. It may not be the game some of you people clearly want, but yeah, if they go the Bioshock route, sign me up. Who cares if some wannabe game reviewer hack knocks it for being "skill-less" or whatever floats his boat.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Really cool artwork, but it was released quite a while ago. If you check on youtube there is even a video analysis of it.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
I could live with the auto-health thing provided everything else was great - like the story, immersiveness, length. It also needs to allow conversations to affect outcomes in mutliple ways. I don't like the cover feature - and any talk of 3rd person really puts me off as it just doesn't work well in games like this.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I think the point about bioshock is a fair one, gimme system shock 2. Unfortunately invisible war is gonna be on peoples minds, hopefully they can get past that and give this game a fair shake. If its just not up there no use giving the developers delusions about it ;)