What would UT3 be like if you were it's Lead Designer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
If I were lead designer I would have open beta tested the sh|t out of the game in order to get feedback.
an 'open' beta is not the answer as most people are incapable of giving useful feedback.
It's more like "this weapon sucks ... (cause I can't kill people with it)" or "this weapon/item is overpowered ... (cause I get killed by people using it)".
Heck just read this thread and think for a minute what a developer could do with the results.

Too many cooks will only spoil the broth.

There's a reason why real beta-testing is considered a profession ...

EPIC tried the impossible. Code for 3 years and deliver the product with 2 weeks of feedback.
Yeah right ... as if they themselves didn't test the game.:rolleyes:
two weeks of feedback is plenty.
The real problem is that most of the 'suggestions' required major rework and a delay no publisher would accept.

I think the days of Design->Code->Deliver are over for software development in general (not only for games). You can't theorize on paper if your game is good or not. You have to go out and test it.
test against what ?
People who can and will change their minds at the drop of a hat ?
People who can't see beyond graphics so every time you show them an unfinished level they'll whine about the empty walls ?

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
an 'open' beta is not the answer as most people are incapable of giving useful feedback.
It's more like "this weapon sucks ... (cause I can't kill people with it)" or "this weapon/item is overpowered ... (cause I get killed by people using it)".
Heck just read this thread and think for a minute what a developer could do with the results.

They can report bugs, and make general suggestions. Whining & nitpicking re over/underpowered weapons and such can easily be ignored.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge

You are missing the point. The most valuable part is feedback. Do players enjoy my game? What is it that does not "stick".

If 5% of players complain about shock rifle dominance then it is not a problem. If more than half stop playing your game because of it, it is very important that you find it during open beta. (SR example is random)

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
kafros said:
You are missing the point.
He isn't. You can see that by reading posts between the beta and final release, on Epic's forum. If they stop playing, others will come. Since they will stop playing and also start "badmouthing" the game, beta testing is a screw up

Last edited:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004

Yeah right ... as if they themselves didn't test the game.:rolleyes:
two weeks of feedback is plenty.
The real problem is that most of the 'suggestions' required major rework and a delay no publisher would accept.

test against what ?
People who can and will change their minds at the drop of a hat ?
People who can't see beyond graphics so every time you show them an unfinished level they'll whine about the empty walls ?

alone open beta isnt the answer but these will be the end consumer who buys the game, if the masses dosent like it it wont sell despite professional testers, end of story...

A combination of professional testers, open beta and statistics program running in the background will provide solid info of what works and what dosent work.

Apparently they didnt have enough time for feedback and painted themself into a corner by listening to a small minority.