1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would UT3 be like if you were it's Lead Designer?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Fuzz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

How would you have done the game if you got the chance?

Let's see if you would have been any better.

You dream come true, right?

What cool stuff would you have implemented?

2. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

Interesting. I thought about making exactly this thread earlier today.

I have a clear vision of "my ideal UT3". I will post it tomorrow, since I had few too many Jägermeisters now.

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Good, looking forward to it.

Starting a good thread is all about asking the right questions and providing the interesting point of views.

4. WaitForTheRain

WaitForTheRain New Member

I might post a long long long list of changes at some point, but I'm too tired now.

5. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Oh its easy, I would make every map an exact replica of a Kaizo Mario level so everyone will die unfair and super cheap deaths everytime. Spawn you get crushed. Get lucky to dodge the crushy you get rocketed by some other lucky soul. Dodge that and fall in a pit. I say haha!!

6. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

I shouldn't have made such an equal title to this thread.

"What if you where UT3's Lead Designer?"

Instead of something as repetitive as "What if superheroes and villains didn't have any powers." is stillborn.

Stupid forum, too late to change that now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. Zer0

Zer0 .

WAT.

8. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

I would have made a useable interface and menu system.

9. Al

Al Reaper

WAT.

10. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

May the best thread win...

11. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Lots of ownage.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  12. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Talking about realism. Limiting the number of weapons a player can have at the same time. Class based setup even. Most of that can in fact be made by modding the game with mutators. Main thing is, a lot of people didn't know how to do that for UT2k, so how are we supposed to be able to do that for UT3?

Wishful thinking, with you as the lead designer, nothing can go wrong.

13. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

My UT would feature...

• A new scale a la UT instead of UT2004's scale with smaller maps. Movement speed would be quicker than UT1.
    • Weapons with insane damage per second ratings, including hitscan. It has its place, and the map design and movement speed/nature affects its overall power. The balance was broken in UT2004 because of the map size... which was broken because of the stupid dodge-jump.
    • Proper netcode. Latency compensation built into the engine like every other recent (and good) FPS game.
    • No gimmick maps. I'd ensure stuff like HOLP -- infinite emphasis on gameplay -- was built first and then tell the artists to make it pretty. Epic claims they do this; I do not believe them. No one can look at CarbonFire and think it plays well.
    • A version of ONS without all the Warfare silliness but still better than UT2004's. The key feature there is that the defending team needs more stuff to better mount a comeback. The orb is not the answer.

14. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

Like the previous games, but improved and new things added to the already existing part. So pretty much how every other business in the world works. Too much innovation alienates.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Well put about Carbon Fire, it's large and have fancy areas. It's special, probably not optimal for achieving high frags per minute.

Why bother with gameplay, a map can look like anything and still be playable and enjoyable. Tempest is way better than Carbon Fire thou, but that's mainly because we are used to it, not that it really is any better when it comes to connectivity.

16. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

I would create a real mix of ONS and Assault and try to make the player feel like hes part of a larger battle.

17. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

If I were lead designer, it'd still be in the shop getting worked on

18. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Less of a cluster**** of normal maps and random tiny bloomy lights.

19. Festering Anus

Festering Anus Cheeto Hans

1 map (massive cube), 1 weapon (deemer).

...1 game selling the same amount with 1% of the effort

20. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

I would use this plus:

• FF either 75% or 100% on as default in TDM
    • Weapons throw would be friggin' allowed and would have a GUI option to set the key for it.
    • Weapons stay off would be default for TDM.
    • Weapons respawn times would be 15 seconds.
    • Demorec would be an actual feature with the ability to switch view points like a server side but accessible to client side demos + rewind/fast forward/ time seek.
    • The return of Assault, but without the cheese of UT's Assault but with the improved gameplay of 2k4's Assault mode.
    • Sound that actually works correctly so you can get accurate audio cues of where your opponent is. No cutting the sound of the feet because they aren't in site anymore.
    • Proper mouse input, no variation of mouse movement based on frames or how close an opponent is. No oval shaped mouse curve either like it is default in UT3.