What would UT3 be like if you were it's Lead Designer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Every single ladder match/scrim/pug in TDM I've been in has had FF on and that's going back to my UT TDM days in 99. If you want spammy poo matches with rockets flying recklessly, go ahead, that's just not my thing.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I actually like what you're saying, but **** the online part. In this case the pro players would dominate the new players even harder with all the bonuses they have accumulated. But that sounds like a really cool off-line feature. :tup:

You would not get any bonuses. All the bonuses are visual enhancements that make you stand out.

As long as you can only challenge those who are within a certain skill range to yourself, it doesn't matter what the high level players are doing - in the same way that the world of PUG's are an irrelevance to somebody who has just bought the game. The other trick would be to have a lot of motivators.

If you want to be with the highest cost to recruit (skill ranking)
-Have most cash
-Collect all the unlocks
-Just play to improve your own skill - you can do whatever.

Everybody has different motivations for playing games, and at the moment the only people who play UT3 are those who want to play to be a better gamer. We need simpler, blunter hooks to draw in the crowds.

MamiyaOtaru

Postmaster Corporal
Nov 21, 2000
Wyoming
I can't honestly say it would have been a success, because I don't know what pressures those guys were under that made them release it in the state it was in, so I don't know what sort of changes I would like to see would have even been possible.

But one thing that would have been different if I was in charge: no double jump. I fscking hate that. I know it's "unreal" but jumping higher in mid air bothers me in a way equally ridiculous things like air control don't.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Top of my head:

General
-More emphasis in on the "Tournament" aspect
-An UI that is NOT confusing (it took me quite a while to realize where the "customize player" tab was, and I'm still not sure if there is a field in which I can enter a player name so I don't have to play this game under the innovative alias "Player")
-Player is not required to create a Gamespy ID or any kind of that ****
-More options for a simplified crosshair (style, color,...)
-More powerful weapons because, I'm not sure if it's me, some weapons, especially the Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher, seem pretty weak
-Bot count auto-adjusts to player count when maps are cycled
-Bot editor in the vein of the one included in UT

Characters
-Return of the Thunder Crash team (but "normal" characters instead of those weird afro-dudes from UT2004), as well as a team of army-type guys in the lines of a Blood Reavers/Dark Phalanx combo
-Also an all male/female team like Raw Steel and Venom
-Return of Brock and Xan
-Better taunts (including the "Ha! Ha! Ha!") preferrably with better voice acting (Iron Gaurd male/females were quite terrible)
-All models seen in the game are actually playable
-Robots look better/less weird/more humanoid design like in UT
-More varied Krall design (they all look pretty much the same to me)

Sound & music
-Double Damage would sound like it did in UT
-Same goes for the respawning sound
-Option to select male- female- or combo announcer
-No or at least improved dynamic music system
-Remix of Nether
-Remix of the song that played when the player won a ladder cup if a ladder is included (because any other song would suck)
-NO UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY OBSOLETE "PLAY" ANNOUNCEMENT :mad:

Level design
-More DM and CTF maps
-More variation in maps in terms of looks/theme
-Cedric Fiorentino and Juan Pancho Eekels would be in the mapping team (or at the very least doing art direction)

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
"Player is not required to create a Gamespy ID or any kind of that ****"

Gamespy has to go. But pervsive online ID's is the only way PC games can go. The games industry has to realise that the days of players buying the disk has gone. What we're actually buying is buying into the whole experience of the game. THe real sanction is not to make your game not work any more if you pirate, but make you loose your whole in-game character and persona.

Then it just isn't worth the risk for a player to use a pirated version because they'll loose all the cool stuff that they've taken weeks to put together.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
UT3 is the best UT. BUT...

I'd design it just like it is now with... more CTF.

Working customizable Player models (voices, skins etc.)

All the missing features/settings from UT/2k4

and

All bugs/polish thats missing fixed

and

Better working Server Browser and UI.

Done!

possibly the only thing i would add is more social networking options which is the future of all games/gaming and something UT sorely lacks. but not necessary for me.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
- Conquest
- The full UT3 soundtrack included in the Collectors Edition or other, even if more expensive
- At least 2 stock maps without the %&#"(%&(/#" Orb
- The ripper
- Remove the depressive and boring atmosphere, better color and visual settings balance, less blur and DoF.
- 10 to 15% lower gravity, at least for vehicle gametypes.
- Classic DOM included as default
- Conquest
- Unreal Championship, Unreal 2 weapons and fire modes, at least as pickups on some WAR/vCTF maps. Like you occasionaly have the Berserk, Invis, Shaped Charge, etc... I don't care about DM, so here ... whatever.
- Fixed view of the cic, raptor and fury. Classic hellbender, a paladin that doesn't suck.
- A necris supervehicle. Since it was an invasion, they came in spaceships, right?
- CTF has the translocator, but vCTF has the hoverboard. The same way, the hammer on DM and CTF, but the shieldgun on vCTF and WAR
- Conquest

That's basically it, for now.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
Every single ladder match/scrim/pug in TDM I've been in has had FF on and that's going back to my UT TDM days in 99. If you want spammy poo matches with rockets flying recklessly, go ahead, that's just not my thing.

But DemoGuy... D:

ITS CALLED UNREAL FOR A REASON

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Don't remember those portals with the tentacles streaming out of them?
Ah yes! Still, this is a Xbox version promotional screenshot. What's that thing the cicada is fighting?
ut3_061108_01.jpg

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
A Raptor? I'm pretty sure you have mistaken that for a fury...

*Looks harder

Definitely a raptor. It just has taken a few hits...

BTW are those Xbox maps ever coming to the PC?

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
If I were lead designer I would have open beta tested the sh|t out of the game in order to get feedback.

EPIC tried the impossible. Code for 3 years and deliver the product with 2 weeks of feedback.

I think the days of Design->Code->Deliver are over for software development in general (not only for games). You can't theorize on paper if your game is good or not. You have to go out and test it.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
It would have been a PC Only game, for starters.

It would have had a new version of UWindows for its UI.

And it would have retained some of the old tricks like tapping the 2nd mouse button when coming out of a teleport to quickly get your last used weapon out, as an example.