UT3Dom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Yup, that's the problem. I know a lot of people that didn't download the mod because they found out that he installed a lot of extra gametypes, and they only wanted one (dom).

In all honesty, its a dumb reason, it's all still domination in some form, what does it really matter how many gametypes are in your list?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, you crazy man ;), I guess I'll crosspost then. If you would bother to read a little before this page and maybe this thread as well, you'd know WTF I was talking about:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178169

"I installed the mod in my -nohomedir setup as instructed, except I created a new subdirectory called Script exactly like it shows in the zip file instead of like the instructions earlier in this thread that shows everything going into CookedPC subdirectory for the -nohomedir setup.

Anyway, I started with the standard UT Domination gametype and played Contrast without any problems, but then started AKI and it would not start and even on reboot it still said UT3.exe error....must close program because of error..... and one time I just hit enter and it gave me a kernel error. Anyone know WTF is going on? Is it because I can almost barely run UT3? Even though I have a P4 3.2GHz processor and ATI 9800Pro 256MB video card, I still have 3GB of RAM and a 3GB swapfile. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have only 1.25GB of free space left on that partition that is running UT3?

EDIT: well this is a fine kettle of fish. I now have 6.75 GB of free space on that partition and I still get an error trying to run the AKI map:

>> First, I get this after clicking to get more info:
UT3.exe (window)
Error signature
AppName: ut3.exe
AppVer: 0.0.0.0
ModName: ut3.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 00742411

>> Then, I get an Error Report Contents windows after clicking to get more info on the error. But I couldn't cut and paste the first part of the error message and I couldn't find the file it said it created storing the error message.

Any ideas?

Also, I just tried Classic TDM (3 team) with Arsenal and no problems until I wanted to get out of the map and it let me start another match but I couldn't get out. Is there any way to tell it to use your default player preferred team color all the time for your team?

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
The only way to set a preferred team is in the ini files. For 4-team games you can set the team number to 2 or 3 (instead of 0 or 1) if you'd like to start on green or gold team.)

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
In all honesty, its a dumb reason, it's all still domination in some form, what does it really matter how many gametypes are in your list?
Well, i cannot really talk for everyone, but it's not so dumb if you ask me. I'm not talking about dom and double dom with 4 teams, but i really don't want to have all those TDM options installed because i downloaded a DOM mod, not a 2-3-4 team TDM one.

It's like a program that comes with yahoo! toolbar or some form of advertising without giving me the option to not install them during the setup. Of course those are game modes and not advertising, but in the end it's the same.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, nevermind, apparently this is correct but I didn't do it originally because it didn't make sense the first time I read it a few days ago:
(originally posted in the News Articles thread by _aLeX_)

for those running a -nohomedir setup, try the following:

move the installed files to the CookedPC directory of the ut3-maininstallation:

Published\CookedPC\Script\UTDom.u -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\UTDom.u
Published\CookedPC\Script\UTDomWebAdmin.u -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\UTDomWebAdmin.u
Published\CookedPC\Script\UTMultiTeam.u -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\UTMultiTeam.u
Published\CookedPC\Script\UTMultiTeamContent.u -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\UTMultiTeamContent.u
Published\CookedPC\DOM_Content.upk -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\DOM_Content.upk
Published\CookedPC\UTMT_Content.upk -> Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\UTMT_Content.upk

I have only tried ClassicDOM and ClassicTDM (3 team) so far. Both work fairly well and I have a few more issues:

1) the Cidom (City Domination) map still won't start for me in Classic Domination at all and gives those UT3.exe window errors and eventually exits to Windows,

2) need a game mode pic for Classic TDM or a different one for each TDM version,

3) The red team (my team) blows (or I do) in ClassicDOM for the maps AKI, Apodos and Condemned2, and

4) My team is set to 2 right now (in DefaultPlayer section of UTGame.ini in UTGame/Config; can't find team line in UTMultiTeam.ini file)and I just finished a 3-team ClassicTDM match and I was on the green team. I think if I played CTF, it would either set it to my previous preferred team (red) or random again. Maybe this should be fixed to use the preferred team every time, it seems to change it for me.....I just finished a regular TeamDM game and was on red and my preferred team is still set to 2. Can you even add the team= command to the DOM and MultiTeam ini files?

I'll try and remember to post issues at the other place suggested as well (of course this may have been for UWindows2 and not UT3DOM). Thank you.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Well, i cannot really talk for everyone, but it's not so dumb if you ask me. I'm not talking about dom and double dom with 4 teams, but i really don't want to have all those TDM options installed because i downloaded a DOM mod, not a 2-3-4 team TDM one.

It's like a program that comes with yahoo! toolbar or some form of advertising without giving me the option to not install them during the setup. Of course those are game modes and not advertising, but in the end it's the same.

The main reason they exist is because the mod uses the 4-team mod originally created by someone else and their gametypes extend it (though I understand the DOM team fixed it up and such in the process). What's so terrible about having multiteam DM with your DOM? If you ask me, it's a bonus. That's a really poor analogy, as well, comparing something most people don't want, don't need, and is probably bad for their PC to something that's harmless, needed for the mod, and probably fun.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, it doesn't. Snake wrote the 4-team mod (ported most of it from UT2004 no doubt). Still, the point is, I'm not downloading 4-team. I'm not told I'm downloading 4-team. The name of the mod doesn't have anything to do with 4-team. And I have no choice not to install it even though I don't want it.

I should probably stop posting in this thread because I have since uninstalled the Domination mod.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Now that I customized it (I think it's much better now :D), I'd like to take some time to talk about my opinions. I don't have particular issues about the scripting - bot are moving well and they do everything you might expect from them. I've only found one bug; they sometimes stand near the point without taking it, but I'm sure you're already aware of that, probably fixing it as i'm writing this. Once you fixed this one, I think it's gonna be all be refining for the rest. Maybe you can look at the announcer: when the match ends he only says 'flawless victory' or 'humiliating defeat'. You could modify it to reflect the score gap - if the difference between the teams is very small you could use the standard 'Red/Blue team is the winner'.

What I don't like that much about the maps is their quality - I think it's really uneven. Some maps are very polished and incredibly good looking, others seem like they're in alpha stage.

Contrast: it's huge, and you must certainly play it with a higher number of bots than i did (I played with the default 5), but it's not optimized. Pretty much everyone said it runs hitchy on their PCs and to be honest even my rig (core2quad 2.4, 2GB ram, radeon HD3850) struggled a bit with it. When it comes about gameplay, it's the misty part of the map I don't like. I can't remember the places, they all look the same. I think it would be much better with some more visual particulars on certain routes, so that I can recognize them immediately even between moving from a location to the other. Maybe add dirt and scratches near the crater area... something that stands out more, especially along the footpaths.

AKI: I like this one. I think the basic idea (the canyon) is great and, as a translocator lover, I like it even more, because it suits some tricks and long translocations, but I think you can do better refining graphics. It doesn't convey the idea of a realistic location, I see it just as a pileup of meshes and I think it wouldn't require that much work to overcome this feeling. Think about that square with the giant rock on the middle. Would it be nice to smooth the lower edge of the rock sinking into the floor, maybe with some broken tiles, or cobbles, or little plants? The inside of the castle could use some more work too, especially decorations or dirty decals on the wall (the sniper room feels very empty, and the rocket launcher pickup base on the curved bridge on the left of that room floats in the air). Why don't you maybe add a support for those floating steps?

Apodos: I don't like it. Too large, too simmetric, too much weapons scattered without a real layout (if you respawn on the upper ledge at the center of the map you have a shock rifle in front of you, then you hop down to the ledge beneath and you have another shock rifle!). I don't really like the general flow too.

City Domination: one of the best in the pack, IMHO. I like how it's done, with this mixture of izanagi and common urban architecture, the lighting is good and gives the map a nice old school atmosphere. You could work a little more on the metropolitain area though, I especially don't like there are no holes at the side of the tunnel, and there could be some more dirt and decals. I'd also like to see a blocking volume that covers the walls of the central building (the one with the point on the roof), because if you want to take the vials and walk near the wall you harshly stop on the decoration that slightly juts from that wall.

Cinder Foundry: this one seems like an Alpha version to me. There are 3 meshes on this map. Some doors are simply BSP holes (that don't even follow the bricks, all of them cut the brick in half on the upper edge), the wall texture is repeated too much without a mesh helping out breaking the monotony, not a pipe, not a dirt decal. Lighting is very flat too. And I think that's a pity because it's a very good map and bots navigate it flawlessly. I was very disappointed seeing that this one wasn't on the updated map of the changelog. Come on, finish it! :(

Condemned 1 & 2: Why remake them both? I never guessed why there were two of them that played exactly identical in the first place. The external part isn't bad, but the interior is too clean and the stairs mesh suck (he has the texture misplaced on them).

Gharden: I like it. It miss a dynamic light for the door of the keg room (it's completely black) and I see bots stuck near the entrance of that room, trying to traslocate themselves up to reach the keg. The external courtyard is huge and I don't see why it should be so huge. And the sounds on the map are FREAKING LOUD! My God! The wheel on the central room makes an unbearable noise, like some machinery. Lighting colors seems too much random to me, maybe a more unified look would be better. Putting this aside it's a very fun map. I like both layout and item placement and I think with some finishing touches it's gonna be perfect.

Lament: No comment here, i like everything on this one... :)

I hope you're not taking some of these opinions like a personal attack. Everything I wrote here is there to give you some constructive criticism. I wrote it because I care about the mod and I want it to become as refined as it deserves to be.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Alright, after a logn experience of severe depression, as of July 11, I am starting to take anti-depressants. No more excessive thoughts of suicide (no ****! XD)

Other than that, since I'm back in tip-top shape, I can start answering all types of questions that all fo you have...but first of al, I have to read the damn list alot slower. I did pick up UTMT issues alot, and Snake.PLiSKIN and myself are looking into this issue, and Epic is working to fix an issue of UT3DOM that relies on the UT3 code itself (w00t Epic! :) )

Also, Patch 1 is now 100% officially in the works, by me and Snake.PLiSKIN. (And yes StraTooS, you shall know soon too XD).

Other than that, not much info to be told here. :)

I'll talk to you guys & gals later. :)

Edit1: and btw, for those who were aroudn from the 2004-2005 era, the coder for Unreal Tournament Revolution, is the exact same coder of UT3DOM. FOr those who don't knwo who Snake.PLiSKIN and/or the UTR mdo is, research it. ;) :)

«:MX:»RoninMastaFX

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
We would like to point out that Snake is a persona non grata among us UTR people, and we would warn you to watch your back, because if your releases aren't as fast as he'd like, he just might take it upon himself to release it for you.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
If by "release it for you" you mean derail the original vision of the mod, claim it as his own, and use it to insult other team members in the credits, then yeah.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw, I have problem with dom maplist, however i set it, the next map is always that forest map, is it bug or is it some wrongly preconfigured ini?
It always returns me to contrast map.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Btw, I have problem with dom maplist, however i set it, the next map is always that forest map, is it bug or is it some wrongly preconfigured ini?
It always returns me to contrast map.

It's a bug. Ronin said that it will be fixed in the first patch.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
We would like to point out that Snake is a persona non grata among us UTR people, and we would warn you to watch your back, because if your releases aren't as fast as he'd like, he just might take it upon himself to release it for you.

If by "release it for you" you mean derail the original vision of the mod, claim it as his own, and use it to insult other team members in the credits, then yeah.

Too bad, i learnt the hard way:mad:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
While loading the map, or is it again problem with the low res/not high detail thingy as I had with that one custom dm map? But taht one didn't crash, only textures were default ones. I didn't try before domination that much, so I didn't know this map crashed for me on startup, but it does, again this seems to be exception again. :(