UT3 Bonus Pack 1 RELEASED!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
man, i love this pack! i'm not a big fan of the necris style but even so i still really like searchlight. morbias and face simply rule imo. especially morbias since i like the lighting so much :)
maps coming without preview pics - it sure was kinda strange but i don't care that much. i didn't want to see anything of the maps before playing them, anyway. the map pack getting released without announcement was enough of a teaser to me ;)
so, thx for that map pack, epic. keep'em coming ;)

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Oh goody! Now there can be an "All Face -- All The Time" server.

I'm dreading that perhaps by the time the Linux client gets released, that'll be the landscape :p No, seriously, I enjoyed Face for UT1 for the first while, but after a while I got sick of it. But it just kept spreading, like kudzu, taking over server by server . . .

Seriously though now, although I do strongly dislike what the map tends to become, it was probably the right thing of Epic to do to remake it, and I just won't hang around on Face-only servers.

That the maps are unpolished is somewhat offset by the sudden announcement; that's the Epic to love, the kind of company that doesn't need to relentlessly hype "additional content! additional content!", they just deliver and we enjoy. That being said I don't think people complaining are upset with the bugs and lack of polish so much as with what that represents. Seriously now, missing the screenshots is pretty absurd; I wouldn't be surprised if there's a funny background story behind that though, I mean hey, people make mistakes and weird things happen some times.

I think I've kept this post positive enough to justify the "thumbs-up" icon. :)

But wait...

Whatever happened to .umod? Okay, I know it had to be moved away from in some cases so that people on Linux and OSX could install things (in latter days of 2K4 I remember some times where I could only find .umod files for things and I'd sigh) but obviously in this case where it's just three maps and there's only a Windows client . . . is there the UMOD installer functionality in UT3? Or is that gone the way of Xan?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The whole pack feels really unprofessional. I don't mind how many maps are in a pack, as long as they are good. Not having a screenshot and not having map descriptions eliminates 25% of what makes a professional map imo.
Oh come on. Map screenshots and descriptions hardly define a quarter of the 'professionalism' of a level.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
My god, I love this map pack. The maps showcase the game feeling more like UT. Maybe a little familiarity was what I needed... I forgot how much fun it was to have a round room full of rocket launchers and a bunch of friends, or the sheer joy of trying to run face while being sniped at by insane sniper rifles.
Thank you Epic :)

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Well we at least need more servers hosting, i just went online and found like only 4 CTF serves (barely populated) and about 7 DM servers. Can anyone simple answer where are all the servers? Even in dead old games and stuff they still have hundreds of servers running... whether people are in them are or not.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I'll say one thing though: The whole pack feels really unprofessional. I don't mind how many maps are in a pack, as long as they are good. Not having a screenshot and not having map descriptions eliminates 25% of what makes a professional map imo.

That's probably one of the most retarded comments I have heard. 25% were the **** are you pulling that number from...

Oh come on. Map screenshots and descriptions hardly define a quarter of the 'professionalism' of a level.

Agreed...

When did this community get so ****ing jaded and cynical about the small things that really don't matter all that much...

"ohhh no screen shot, this is unprofessional... I hate Epic... blah blah blah..."

It's almost like a part of this thread is turning into the Epic Games forums where people do nothing but complain all day on most of the posts.

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Yea I don't see anything even half professional about putting pictures and descriptions in. First of all a noob making his first map is fully capable of doing this and often times they do include it. Second of all your not going to be looking at a description and screen shot while your playing the game so just stfu and enjoy it for what it is, a great mappack that is meant to be played not stared at in the menu.... I guess its a good thing that everyone is complaining about such small meaningless things because it goes to show Epic got all the big things under control so the complainers have nothing more to complain about than the small things.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well as much as I would have liked to see screenshots and descriptions (which isnt like num 1 priority) I do have to say, the lesser time spent in the GUI the better. The main reason I woulda liked the pictures though is so I can tell which ones are Epics :lol:

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Okay, play FacingWorlds + Gibalicious + BattleRPG + Sentinels on Adept bots (11 of them) = best time ever.

I'd be constantly building Sentinels (3 max though... shame) at the entrace to the base having all my bots just defend just outside it so non were destroyed, slowly but surely, i had 3 rocket sentinels with armor plating and shields up, and then just went on a capping spree, since whenever we would get rush by 6 bots of the other team, the 3 rockets would easily take them out (smart turrets).

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Yea I don't see anything even half professional about putting pictures and descriptions in. First of all a noob making his first map is fully capable of doing this and often times they do include it.

Exactly: Even a n00b making his first map would get this right ;P

Anyhoo, how is Searchlight? I'd check it out myself, but I'm afraid my Radeon would crap out again. And again.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site

Anyhoo, how is Searchlight? I'd check it out myself, but I'm afraid my Radeon would crap out again. And again.

I love it, So far (i havent had time to play it that much)
It looks stunning and at the same time it plays well.
Its not too large either (Approx. 15s f-f and 25s f-f as FC)

It could very well be one of the best maps so far.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net

Indeed, that was an argument against the point you were trying to make, BBurkart, so why even say that??? :)

The whole 25% mentioned before was of course pulled out of some random orifice, but I do agree that not adding stuff like that detracts from the overall presentation.
It's like forgetting to add music to your map, (or) later claiming you did it on purpose because it's not important anyway since you turn off music anyway.
Or uploading a website but leaving the title "New document" for everyone to see.

Still, I agree with you BBurkart, the fact that people are complaining about little stuff like this of course means the big things are OK, and Epic should interpret it as such.
Well, the invisible platform bug is big enough that it shouldn't have slipped in, but complaining about only getting 3 maps for free is ridiculous.
I know Epic has released larger bonus packs in the past, but a little free content is still free content.

As for the bonus pack overall; I simply haven't actually played the maps, so I can't comment on them in that regard.
I am happy Face is back, since it's a classic, and UT simply needs to have a Face map.
That doesn't mean I'll be playing Face non-stop though, but it's fun every now and again. :)

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Yes, its annoying that they did forget the preview picture and player count, but whatever, as has been mentioned many times in this thread, it is the map that counts, and the maps are awesome. The new maps play great, and are a welcome addition.

Also, SearchLight is great for defensive lines i find, least with Sentinels, just put them all around the courtyard (the the crazy death angel... that thing is awesome) and just keep searching for sentinel ammo and you have an unstoppable force.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
OMFG i cant sleep!!! this is freaking awesome! (EPIC THX, please in the next bonus pack put in there XAN KRIEGOR and MALCOM Pleaseeeeeee) by the way is confirmed , yesterday on the PSN is ready the bonus pack for UT3 (88 mb) and yes ma8s is totally FREE deal with that microsoft! the version for xbox 360 will be sold only (i guess) but who cares! i play now with my friends in PC this new additions and yeaaaah CTF maps rocks! Morbias ROCKS!