US defaults next week what does everyone think?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is not WWII or the cold war. Frankly, we should stop being the world police too. Why not cut military spending? We already have a navy twice as large as the rest of the world combined...
That's not really true. The Chinese navy is like 80% the size of the US. There is no way the rest of the world doesn't make up that other 20%.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
316afs4.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• super-obama.JPG
    super-obama.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 86

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
It's Bush's fault, dammit. Neocons, all of them.
Close. http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0119-06.htm
Published on Monday, January 19, 2004 by the San Diego Union-Tribune
Passing the Bill to our Children

'Reagan proved deficits don't matter," Dick Cheney told Paul O'Neill during a Cabinet meeting. "We won the (2002) midterms. This is our due."
Cheney's remarks bring this question to mind: What kind of a government is this? The idea that it is the Bush administration's "due" to run deficits and leave the bills for future taxpayers is a startling one. Governments run deficits, but it is the rare one that believes they are its right.

By "due," Cheney meant that because Republicans won the midterm elections on a platform of more tax cuts and deficit increases, they could pass still more tax cuts and run up still more deficits. Voters knew that a Clinton surplus of $200 billion had been transformed into a $200 billion deficit under Bush (it is now $450 billion), and voted for Republicans anyway.

That's what Cheney meant by "Reagan proved deficits don't matter." For Cheney, Reagan proved there was no political cost to big deficits.

But O'Neill, the treasurer, was talking economics. He worried about more tax cuts on top of the rising deficit, and Bush, briefly, showed some interest, asking if they hadn't already done enough for wealthy taxpayers. Adviser Karl Rove admonished Bush to "stick to principle" the principle being that deficits were his due and the debate was over.

A month later, Cheney called O'Neill to suggest he announce his wish to retire. "I'm too old to begin telling lies now," said O'Neill, so Cheney fired him.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I am voting Republican next election. They will have it all fixed in four years no problem. It's time we put people in office that have all the answers.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I am voting Republican next election. They will have it all fixed in four years no problem. It's time we put people in office that have all the answers.

And then 4 years later you will vote Democrat again, then 4 years later you will vote Republican. See what I am doing here. None of the parties are competent enough to fix anything so your vote is going to be wasted no matter which side you choose.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is Obama I guess continuing "failed Bush economic policies". Can't blame Bush for this week.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Heh I skipped over the previous posts and didn't realize our credit rating is now AA.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I am so ready for a little anarchy :D

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
And then 4 years later you will vote Democrat again, then 4 years later you will vote Republican. See what I am doing here. None of the parties are competent enough to fix anything so your vote is going to be wasted no matter which side you choose.

Well, I have heard them say on several occasions that they know exactly how to fix this and if I vote for them it will be fixed quick.

Who shall I vote for? I am hoping for a good one like Palin. She will run this country like a PTO Meeting. That shit is serious business!

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So a few more thoughts:

For starters, why did S&P downgrade our debt?

The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics

In other words: the deal wasn't big enough. I feel that this goes right back to the point I made earlier in the thread. The deal needed to be 4 trillion. Why weren't Democrats willing to sign a bill that involved 4 trillion in cuts in exchange for a debt ceiling raise?

The ratings agencies have specifically mentioned 4 Trillion as the level that they'd want to see. We want to avoid a ratings downgrade so I think that should be the minimum goal.

Yet neither plan comes close to this level. Is the full faith and credit of the United States really worth so little to Democrats?

I haven't forgotten the larger deal. What this shows is that the threat of default isn't enough to get Democrats to give up much. In order to get that big deal, more things had to be put on the table. I just don't see why we can't have a bill that raises the debt ceiling, and cuts 4 trillion. Why isn't that an acceptable deal?

It will be very interesting to see how this fits in with everything else that has been happening. I have been told that this happened to Japan, and that there wasn't much of a reaction when it did. Still this sort of thing just changes the whole mood of the market.

I just hope people can keep everything straight. I'm seeing a lot of people trying to blame recent market action on the debt ceiling fight. This is complete hogwash. This has everything to do with Eurozone worries, and fundamental data that indicates the global economy is slowing. Similarly we can't really blame this on Obama. I still think he's done damage to our economy, and is largely responsible for our weak recovery. However, if we go into another recession I don't think it's entirely his fault. Of course he'll still get the blame. The president has to accept responsibility for what happens under his watch, even if he's not the cause.

I'd also like to get into the spending cuts vs revenue generation debate. The following study claims that based on a historical analysis of countries with debt problems, spending reductions are more likely to be successful. I like this article because most arguments about this subject have focused on what is fair and reasonable. I want to discuss what is effective.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44035766

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So a few more thoughts:

For starters, why did S&P downgrade our debt?

In other words: the deal wasn't big enough. I feel that this goes right back to the point I made earlier in the thread. The deal needed to be 4 trillion. Why weren't Democrats willing to sign a bill that involved 4 trillion in cuts in exchange for a debt ceiling raise?

It will be very interesting to see how this fits in with everything else that has been happening. I have been told that this happened to Japan, and that there wasn't much of a reaction when it did. Still this sort of thing just changes the whole mood of the market.

I just hope people can keep everything straight. I'm seeing a lot of people trying to blame recent market action on the debt ceiling fight. This is complete hogwash. This has everything to do with Eurozone worries, and fundamental data that indicates the global economy is slowing. Similarly we can't really blame this on Obama. I still think he's done damage to our economy, and is largely responsible for our weak recovery. However, if we go into another recession I don't think it's entirely his fault. Of course he'll still get the blame. The president has to accept responsibility for what happens under his watch, even if he's not the cause.

I'd also like to get into the spending cuts vs revenue generation debate. The following study claims that based on a historical analysis of countries with debt problems, spending reductions are more likely to be successful. I like this article because most arguments about this subject have focused on what is fair and reasonable. I want to discuss what is effective.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44035766

Yeah sure it may not be his fault entirely, but can you imagine the backlash he is going to get for being the only president(that I know of) that went through 2 recessions in 1 term. It is going to be ungodly for that poor fucker. Stocks are going to plummet really freaking hard come close of business Monday over the credit downgrade, and you can bet your sweet Mormon ass another Recession will hit before years end.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah sure it may not be his fault entirely, but can you imagine the backlash he is going to get for being the only president(that I know of) that went through 2 recessions in 1 term. It is going to be ungodly for that poor fucker. Stocks are going to plummet really freaking hard come close of business Monday over the credit downgrade, and you can bet your sweet Mormon ass another Recession will hit before years end.

2 recessions? Maybe you haven't noticed but we never really left the first one. Stock market be damned, fucking tons of people are unemployed, but not reported because they don't qualify for unemployment checks. I know a bunch of people looking for work and I live in a pretty damn high job area. Maybe I know a bunch of slacker assholes. I don't know.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Heh... I think it's a serious situation but not surprising. You really can blame Obama since he blamed Bush's "failed" policies and yet his policy changes haven't changed anything. However, on that same note, you can't blame him OR Bush because this problem has been building for decades upon decades.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
However, on that same note, you can't blame him OR Bush because this problem has been building for decades upon decades.

Well put. Our banks have been sending out shit-tons of loans when nobody can pay 'em back, and then make a killing on interest. It used to be based on credit until Reaganomics came in and put national debt into what I like to call a snowball effect. Yeah, we saw economic growth because he lowered the barriers, but debt skyrocketed. A lot of the economic changes he had put in place were beneficial in the short run, but had unforeseen (I'd like to believe) ramifications that were decades down the road.

Sorry if my post comes off as half-baked. Rather tired right now.