US defaults next week what does everyone think?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The magical day will arrive next Tuesday when the US will default on all its monies, and have to take a strike on its coveted AAA rating.

Anyone excited, upset, don't care? Or do you just wanna go to Washington DC and kick Obama in his Mexican Hawaiian African ass :D

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
I don't think it will actually happen, as it hasn't happened in the past years, for the simple reason that both sides are aware of the consequences.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Oh they'll let it go til the last minute for the media circus and then fix it by fucking us all in the ass some more. Same shit different day.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
The magical day will arrive next Tuesday when the US will default on all its monies, and have to take a strike on its coveted AAA rating.

Anyone excited, upset, don't care? Or do you just wanna go to Washington DC and kick Obama in his Mexican Hawaiian African ass :D

A switch from AAA to AA rating would be a very, very, very bad thing. Not only for the USA but the rest of the world according to a pure falling domino effect. From current news, it sounds like the republican majority do not want to raise the legal debt limit so it sounds like the average american is going to have to make some sacrifices. This could have an adverse affect on consumption which, as you probably know, is one of the main driving forces of american economy.

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
This is why I don't vote. They're all retards and shit will never change until it's their own ass on the line.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
There are a few articles at zerohedge that discuss the possibility of default. I find a reply to this somewhat unrelated article, very interesting:

Things have gotten very ugly for the US Dollar.

Up until last week, the US Dollar looked as though it might be staging some kind of a rally with a series of higher lows. However, we never quite made it above resistance but have taken out the multi-month trendline instead.
sc-23.png

That reply:
As I've stated before in regard to the debt ceiling debates, I think there are factions in government/finance in Europe and the USA who want to collapse the USA and European economy to preserve Euro-American hegemony (and neutralize the Chinese) by killing the US Dollar and possibly the Euro as well.

The scenario, I think, will go like this:

1) No debt ceiling agreement is reached.

2) Congress dithers for weeks or months as the government meets fewer and fewer of its financial obligations.

3) Eventually, the bond market panics. The USA’s debt is now unfinanced by China, et. al. exacerbating the government’s crisis. The panic spreads to Europe where the Euro dies a noisy death.

4) The shrinkage of government money tanks the economy of the USA. Deflation follows rapidly. The Euro becomes yet another failed fiat currency.

5) Through QE3, QE4, QE-forever or some other method, the government starts printing money in dollar denominations and injecting it into the economy in any way it can until inflation reaches Zimbabwe levels.

Result?

1) In the traditional fashion, the USA has hyper-inflated its way out of dollar denominated debt.

2) New currency is issued, but wages and prices in the USA are now realigned with BRIC and Chinese standards, making the American economy competitive on price.

3) The Chinese must either keep their currency pegged to the dollar, making it worthless and causing major political upheaval at home, or let it rise, making their export market much less competitive, which suppresses their economy.

In short, China is de-fanged while America and Europe are given breathing room while they still have military power, and oil is plentiful. The alternative, waiting 10 years for the inevitable default, would simply give China and the BRIC countries overwhelming military and economic advantage.

If pain it inevitable, better to take it sooner rather than later, if it takes your enemies with it.

Put yourself in the position of the "old money" elite in the USA and Europe vs. the upstart and uncooperative Chinese elites. If you were old money, what would you do?

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Interesting but western-centric.

I read somewhere that China doesn't plan short term & by short term we're not talking generations, we're talking dynasties.
The Chinese also make up 25% of the world's population & they have no scruples about killing their own people never mind anyone else.
[I'm going to stick the, 'if they all sat down at once we'd be out of chairs' joke in now if only to get it out of the way for the, 'if they all jumped up & down at the same time, tidal wave' hypothesis] :)

I blame the flawed construct of 'money' in the first place. No one wants to live in poverty & it's especially galling given there's more than enough of everything to go around. Maybe in X years we as a species will have grasped that & put aside our frankly petty differences, otherwise everything is going to lose.

/hippy ;)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Why do you care given China owns your ass already :D

Yay truth

we won't default. the debt takes around $30B. we bring in around $250B.

We bring in $250B, but then spend ourselves into the ground. Keep the money printing boys.

why would you kick Obama?

this mess has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Congress.

I know it doesn't, the current trend is to blame Obama for everything, even the shit that Bush jacked up :)

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the problem is that only one party is actually trying to govern.

while one party is concerned with doing the job they were elected to do, another party is more concerned with their political football game.
one party has compromised time and time again, another party has not budged.
one party has shown willingness to compromise against even their own interests in favor of getting things done and keeping the country moving. another party has dug their heels into the sand, put their fingers in their ears, and been content to sit at the children's table.

the grown-ups are still offering them a seat at the adult table.
but this party has clearly shown that they don't belong.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Why do you care given China owns your ass already :D

China might be in trouble too. There's signs of bubbles which would be difficult to handle even in a controlled economy.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Things have gotten very ugly for the US Dollar.

Up until last week, the US Dollar looked as though it might be staging some kind of a rally with a series of higher lows. However, we never quite made it above resistance but have taken out the multi-month trendline instead.

sc-23.png

That's bad from a technical point of the view. If the breakout below the lower trendline holds it could mean a drop to an index of 73 and maybe even lower. The dollar needs to clear 76 and hold above it for a proper recovery.

As I've stated before in regard to the debt ceiling debates, I think there are factions in government/finance in Europe and the USA who want to collapse the USA and European economy to preserve Euro-American hegemony (and neutralize the Chinese) by killing the US Dollar and possibly the Euro as well.

It would seem that way with the financial news of the last year. There appears to be a diversion tactic aimed at centering focus on Europe while the USA has been in an undecisive wobble. If that's really what these factions want it will be the equivalent of shooting oneself in the foot and will cause a lot of economic mayhem.

We bring in $250B, but then spend ourselves into the ground. Keep the money printing boys.

Ben Bernanke sure is good at printing money :)

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
This is why I don't vote. They're all retards and shit will never change until it's their own ass on the line.

This is why I hate people who make it a point to not vote.

The apathy astounds me. Does the quote 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.' mean anything to you folks? And does it even occur to you that of all of the apathetic people who don't vote, that you may actually outnumber the amount of people who do? And does it occur to you that with that knowledge, that you can radically disrupt the vicious cycle of shitty voting, and finally getting rid of the shit that is in the system?

And yes, everyone's ass is on the line in Washington, but the sheep who vote for them are too stupid to act.

Exercise your civic duty and vote.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
the problem is that only one party is actually trying to govern.

while one party is concerned with doing the job they were elected to do, another party is more concerned with their political football game.
one party has compromised time and time again, another party has not budged.
one party has shown willingness to compromise against even their own interests in favor of getting things done and keeping the country moving. another party has dug their heels into the sand, put their fingers in their ears, and been content to sit at the children's table.

the grown-ups are still offering them a seat at the adult table.
but this party has clearly shown that they don't belong.
Surely you must be referring to the DEMOCRATS, as they are the ones who FAILED TO PASS THE 2011 FEDERAL BUDGET WHEN THEY WERE IN CHARGE. They wouldn't even touch it, all because they knew if they left it for the GOP, they could blame the Republicans when the shit hit the fan.