So in your opinion, what's the best game ever made?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Tho I think FFVII is really good, I think UT is better. It has so much depth in each gametype that you can keep on playing it and continually get better. Although FFVII is a fantastic story, it (unfortunately) has an end to it, so it's life seems limited, but in Ut, you can always improve.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
The only game that I will remember in 20 years from now,when I'll have given up gaming,will certainly be half-life.
This is the best gaming experience for me and the only game to mix so succesfully single and multi play.After you have completed the solo game you really ARE the freeman and it's a natural step to move to a deathmatch experience.
And this game started the mod frenzy (already initiated by quake,I know).And everybody wanted to make their own mod at this time.Ah good souvenirs.
Maybe civilization too.

But the video game I've played the most and I will certainly keep playing in the years to come is magic the gathering .BIG replay value here!

T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by deathren
I honestly think Rise of The Triad (aka, ROTT) is a real classic.
'Specially with Dog and Shrooms mode. Their version of godmode is cute too. :D

Yeah, Loved ROTT with dogmode. :D . gawd that cracked me up, but the game itself DID get boring farther in. nothing to look forward to Finding except map secrets. i found it a yamn and stopped playing just over half way through i think it was.

Q2 Chaos is my fav game currently. altho i had ia hella lot of fun with carmageddon2 when it first came out. something about trying to find new and interesting ways to splat pedesterians for better pointage cracks me up. :D

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Yeah, that was it, I don't play it any more because it got repetitious. The reason I stopped playing in the first place was that I could never beat the last level, even in god-mode.

Ming the Merciless

Cold Turkey!
May 21, 2001
Planet Stone Cold Sober
Visit site
Best Games Ever? Thats hard but any way:-

Early games - Asteroids, Defender absolutley rock

Mid 80's game- Elite, if you haven't played this get yourself an emulator and get addicted

Early 90's game - Doom! nuff said

Mid 90's game - Quake. The first time I played this game online I Walked out of the room trembling with a heart rate of 160bpm.

Late 90's and early 2000's - Fallout and UT Utterly absorbing for the former and never boring for the latter.

However the Best Game Ever has to be Twister - played at a party wearing just swimming trunks and bikini's.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
WTF?!
FFVII didn't have a GREAT STORY! If you want a great story, play Final Fantasy Tactics or Deus Ex. And Wolfenstien 3D started the modern games thing, not DOOM or Quake.
And definately Fallout would have to be one of my all-time favs... great idea... although, the second one started sucky (way to difficult), the genre is GREAT.
And I really like FFVIII's magic system... I like it a little more than FFVII's Materia system. More origional, know what I mean?
Favorite game: Final Fantasy Tactics
2nd: Fallout/Unreal
3rd: Half-Life/UT

And there you have it.

Toolvana

RL hostage
Nov 24, 1999
Satellite of Love
www.toolvana.com
...Tho it does have that one level where the background music is Mozart's Moonlight Sonata.

I know exactly what your talking about CHRYSt! The swimming level from EWJ2 for the SNES. I remember hearing that song and then going on a 2-3 year quest to find out what it was called and who composed it. Indeed it was a great day when the local Walgreens music kiosk thingie was playing that song. My quest had ended and there was much rejoicing...
Anywho, my fave game?

Super Mario 64

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
no wolf 3d didnt start modern gaming doom did doom was modifiable wolf 3d wasnt wolf 3d wasnt even the first FPS catacomb abyss was so :p

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Wolf 3d made me want to learn German, not much else.

FF7, as far as plot and story are concerned, no, they weren't GREAT, but they were decent and pretty good. Not the best, but compared to MOST games, it was excellent.

And Dirty, I know you like Starcraft more than HL :p

T

Terminal {DTH}

i think you all are forgetting the classic DUKE. IT is the game that really pushed the first person shooter genra to new levels

WildfireX

Mar 10, 2001
Visit site
1. MegaMan 2-6(mmm....)
2. Descent, Unreal, DOOM
3. Quake 1/2/3, Jedi Knight

1. MegaMan. Fast & addictive.
2. Descent and Unreal were both amazing games. Something about them made me keep coming back. DOOM, well...is DOOM.
3. These were fun, plain and simple. But Quake 1 really had something going for it, too bad the ending sucked so much.

NOTE: HL is not on this list for a reason: I hate, yes hate Half-Life.
I will rant against it if I must, but I never found it fun. Freeman's character is much too uncolorful, the Unreal guys, especially Male 3 seem so much...cooler. That's why I'm at PuF and not PHL-F. Unreal, if you took the time to read the translator messages, had a story, it wasn't shoved in your face like the story in Half-Life. Plus, HL was ONE BIG DOOR OPENING, MARIO-JUMPING FRENZY! Admit it! There are switches to hit, doors to open, platforms to jump on. Black Mesa is nothing like what I imagined it to be like. Half-Life was probably my biggest letdown.

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
I agree w/ Lonewulf that Tactics is an EXCELLENT game, but you're on something if you didn't think FF7 story was awesome..

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
when we got our psx the first game we got was ff7 and after playing it for about 2 hours relizing how crap it was when compaired with 4 and 6 (2 and 3) we threw the psx in the corner of the room (yes threw, like hard) hooked back up the snes and played coop SoM, and mario cart deathmatch the rest of the night :)

imho the final fantasy series died after 6 :(