Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not a bad movie...

Yeah I just watched it for the kick of it (somewhere online) since the critics weren't too good. And I have to agree with them. You can't expect a master piece out of this movie but it is definitively more solid than Dragon Wars. Lol.

I haven't watched the original or heard of it before. About 'Kenny' getting the S. Segal faces, well, that's expected given the role he was playing. Out of context - I don't think 'Kenny' ruined this movie, or made it worse.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Got suckered into seeing Marley and Me. For anyone who thinks the ending is the sadest movie ending in history...

Call me Michael Vick. Not that sad.

Was that supposed to be funny? Are you saying that black people could care less about dogs? Nice stereotype to promote.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Gran Torino - 8/10

Not a bad flick at all. Tao and his sister or cousin or whatever she was were annoying at hell, but overall the acting was good. I had no idea there were so many derogatory names for an asian.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Taken 8/10

Liam Neeson too doesnt have an oscar :(

Gran Torino - 8/10

I can always count on 'ole Clint. I can't think of too many other actors that always play their age with dignity and still end up being the biggest of badasses. This flick is chock full of one liners, and nobody delivers them like Eastwood.

I'll agree with what some other people have been saying about the other actors not being that great in comparison (with the exception of John Carroll Lynch, who is only in the movie for a couple of scenes...but he's always awesome). But I don't think I'd say that the acting of the other characters is especially bad. I got a sense that 1) most of them have never been in a movie before and 2) the accents caused some unnatural breaks in dialogue that could be misconstrued as crap acting. For the most part I thought everyone performed their role well enough....this movie's about Clint Eastwood's character anyway.

He's still got it.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Tale of Despereaux 6/10

I am told that this follows the structure of the book but to my mind that structure does not translate well to the cinema - it's about 40 minutes in before any peril affects the hero - I'm willing to wait that long if that is the build up to something interesting but mild peril and the return of soup to the kingdom doesn't cut it. Pacing that works in a book does not necessarily translate well.

I wasn't convinced by the art style - very austere with an occasional overlay of Terry Gilliam.

The voiceover (another artefact of the book) did not work in the movie.

The main character was undoubtedly charming and the kids enjoyed the show but this is really only for children.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
But I don't think I'd say that the acting of the other characters is especially bad. I got a sense that 1) most of them have never been in a movie before and 2) the accents caused some unnatural breaks in dialogue that could be misconstrued as crap acting.

It wasn't just the speech though. Their body language and mannerisms in general just sucked. The scene where Tao is screaming to Clint to let him out from behind the locked door was ROFL-worthy.

The problem was that Clint wanted real Hmong people in his movie, and apparently Hmong people cannot act. The whole thing was rushed together which is seemingly typical of Clint to do. I don't think he did many takes judging by the performances.

edit - For the record, The Wrestler is a MUCH more powerfully acted film. Not dissin' on Clint though, he's still the man.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
xXx 2 The Next Level 3/10

Hollywood takes its obsessive belief that more explosions equals more excitement to the next level.

The rating would have been a lot (!) lower if it hadn't been for Ice Cube - he saved the movie from being a totally forgettable mess and at least made it somewhat memorable (in a good way).