Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
No Country For Old Men-5/10

This movie made no sense to me at all. If it is the tracking of the guy with the money with the tracker in the bag(that can only really see its target from a 1000 feet away(give or take)) or the stupid way they ended it. I mean how can the guy always know where he is with nothing and how the hell did that one cowboy guy know that the money was over the fence in the field(the tracker was no longer in the bag)? Come on at least try to explain things as you go along the story. The tracker had very little to do with any of it.

The ending pissed me off. What exactly happened to the guy with money? Was he dead on the floor at that motel or what? What the hell is up with that random ass accident at the end? Was that set up by the guy with the money or Mexicans or what? Did the killer kill his wife? Why was the sheriff narrating at the beginning like he got the killer, but at the end of the movie he was retired and never got the guy? Answer the damn questions when you end a movie dammitt.

Yeah, making sense is part of it. You make a movie that raises more questions then it answers you lose points.

The ending is one of the biggest abortions I have seen in cinematic history. People actually think that it's "deep" because it's different. I don't know what's so deep about cutting to credits after one of the most boring and slow conversations EVER. I expected some closure at least but I was left with nothing. I had absolutely no reaction of any kind to the ending except "uhhhh.... what?" I honestly have no idea how it got the praise that it did. It baffles me. It really does.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I thought it was a good, entertaining movie, sure it wasn't some happily ever after ending with epic music but neither was the ending of Reservoir Dogs and that was a good movie... wait why am I comparing it to another movie you might not like.

Anyways I don't see what you found so confusing about how the story played out, but I can understand if you didn't like the ending.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
As usual I'm very late when it comes to keeping up with new releases. I rarely see things in the theater. D:

Spoilers below!

I Am Legend -- 5.0 -- A great idea with a rather disappointing execution. Will Smith played his part most excellently, and the rest of the film pales in comparison to his acting job. The first third or half in which you don't really know what's going on is the best. After that it just gets silly. The CGI is terrible for a $150 million movie. The "infected" are incredibly fake-looking, unfortunately, and that kills the movie's believability. Then, of course, the writers had to work in stupid crap about God and religion and create the most pointless and cliche ending in the history of movies. There are also stupid plot holes. If the guy could broadcast over all AM channels why did he not hear about the colony? Why did he not hook up UV lights inside his house in case they got in? Man... What wasted potential.

Sweeney Todd -- 7.5 -- Cool story and a great atmosphere, but I'm not too big into musicals. They seem to drag things out unnecessarily. I'm okay with song when it enhances the mood but in musicals it often seems they are done for no reason other than to make things that would otherwise take only three lines last for five minutes. The only memorable song for me was the one about Joanna. Good melody. I liked the one about what kind of meat pies they could make, but the Joanna song is the only one whose melody I can still remember. Loved the cleavage shots, by the way. Very nice. :)

There Will Be Blood -- 6.0 -- I may have missed the point of this one. I mean, I wasn't actually expecting a bloody horror film, but I felt disconnected and it seemed to go on and on without much point. It's not a good sign when I bust out Minesweeper in the middle of a movie. The acting was pretty damn awesome, but I wish there was just more to it. More action, more exploration of the competition between Plainview and Standard Oil, etc.

Sunshine -- 9.0 -- A pleasant surprise that intrigued me. Lucky for me I wasn't aware that the movie was supposed to be taking place in 2057. I was thus assuming that it was far enough into mankind's future to make sense given the technology. Ignoring the "50 years into the future" thing makes the film better as you're not there wondering WTF could have possibly happened in a mere 50 years to f**k the sun up. I find that taking movies like this literally and trying to explain things screws them up. Anywho... Very cool subject matter, surprisingly good acting, and a twist I didn't see coming. Twists are usually pretty easy to predict but this one caught me off-guard. W00t. This one was directed by the guy who did 28 Days Later and it shows.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Sunshine -- 9.0 -- A pleasant surprise that intrigued me. Lucky for me I wasn't aware that the movie was supposed to be taking place in 2057. I was thus assuming that it was far enough into mankind's future to make sense given the technology. Ignoring the "50 years into the future" thing makes the film better as you're not there wondering WTF could have possibly happened in a mere 50 years to f**k the sun up. I find that taking movies like this literally and trying to explain things screws them up. Anywho... Very cool subject matter, surprisingly good acting, and a twist I didn't see coming. Twists are usually pretty easy to predict but this one caught me off-guard. W00t. This one was directed by the guy who did 28 Days Later and it shows.

Yea, this ones amazing!

To be fair, it took me two complete watch-thrus to really get No Country For Old Men. There are genuinely two camps that rally for or against this movie. People who are heavily critical of it and people who put it on a pedestal. Yes, there is a lot of symbolism in the movie. No it is not the best movie of the last ten years like some film elitists keep saying. Yes you can understand everything as long as you don't over think everything and take the symbolism literally.

Answer the damn questions when you end a movie dammitt.

Yeah, making sense is part of it. You make a movie that raises more questions then it answers you lose points.

The truth of it is that the movie does answer all the questions. It just doesn't spell it out for you is all. I liked it, but I didn't think it was amazing. Even after I fully "got" everything it still was very "well okay then" and not "OHHHH!!!!". I preferred the middle of the of movie myself (the scenes with Chigurh playing cat and mouse with Llewelyn are the best things about the film).

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay - 8/10

Loved the first one so no doubt I was going to enjoy this one. The "bottoms off" party was the best scene ever.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The Mist -- 9.0 -- Oh, snap! I loved the macabre overtones and ending to this movie! I'm sooo tired of cliche bullsh*t, as noted in my previous post, and thankfully they didn't do anything like that. That's not to say it's unpredictable, but at least they didn't make everything all peachy at the end. It's a good portrayal of human instincts vs. imagination, emotions vs. logic, hope vs. hopelessness, etc.

Issues with it would be some crappy CGI in parts and the religious overtones. Then again, religion is a touchy subject matter because you can't prove or disprove it, and they at least gave equal footing to both sides. If you're a believer then you will see this movie as God's punishment, but if not it's just mankind f**king some stuff up. You know, like we're good at. Personally, all religious speak in which the biblical stories are taken literally sounds like something people in an asylum would say. I'm all for being righteous, honest, and good to your fellow man, but come on! Taking it literally makes you sound insane!

Anyway, seeing someone rate Jurassic Park reminds me... Why is it that most CGI nowadays is less believable than JP was? JP's freaking 15 years old! ...And saying that makes me feel old! But the stuff in there was quite believable even with its age, yet with recent things like I Am Legend and The Mist it's like... Hire some people who know what they're doing, please. D:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
To be fair, it took me two complete watch-thrus to really get No Country For Old Men. There are genuinely two camps that rally for or against this movie. People who are heavily critical of it and people who put it on a pedestal. Yes, there is a lot of symbolism in the movie. No it is not the best movie of the last ten years like some film elitists keep saying. Yes you can understand everything as long as you don't over think everything and take the symbolism literally.

The truth of it is that the movie does answer all the questions. It just doesn't spell it out for you is all. I liked it, but I didn't think it was amazing. Even after I fully "got" everything it still was very "well okay then" and not "OHHHH!!!!". I preferred the middle of the of movie myself (the scenes with Chigurh playing cat and mouse with Llewelyn are the best things about the film).

Yeah, I gathered by das_ben's post that I just didn't watch close enough. I will watch it again sometime.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
The Mist -- 9.0 -- Oh, snap! I loved the macabre overtones and ending to this movie! I'm sooo tired of cliche bullsh*t, as noted in my previous post, and thankfully they didn't do anything like that. That's not to say it's unpredictable, but at least they didn't make everything all peachy at the end. It's a good portrayal of human instincts vs. imagination, emotions vs. logic, hope vs. hopelessness, etc.

Issues with it would be some crappy CGI in parts and the religious overtones. Then again, religion is a touchy subject matter because you can't prove or disprove it, and they at least gave equal footing to both sides. If you're a believer then you will see this movie as God's punishment, but if not it's just mankind f**king some stuff up. You know, like we're good at. Personally, all religious speak in which the biblical stories are taken literally sounds like something people in an asylum would say. I'm all for being righteous, honest, and good to your fellow man, but come on! Taking it literally makes you sound insane!

Anyway, seeing someone rate Jurassic Park reminds me... Why is it that most CGI nowadays is less believable than JP was? JP's freaking 15 years old! ...And saying that makes me feel old! But the stuff in there was quite believable even with its age, yet with recent things like I Am Legend and The Mist it's like... Hire some people who know what they're doing, please. D:
indeed JP still looks great!
I was 9 when it came out and i still really enjoy it:)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values

No Country for Old Men

I'm giving this movie at 9/10. O.k. I'm a Coen Bros. fan so I'm already biased but I saw this as probably the darkest, blackest comedy they have ever made.

Apart from that a lot of the tension some scenes create is heart-stopping as you really can't predict where the scene is going (in the sense that horror films may lead you to not like where something is going and you want to cover your eyes to avoid the inevitable which is about to happen on screen).

That being said I really wonder if the whole film is a dream sequence from the early stages where the hunter sees the black dog in the desert through to the end where Tommy Lee Jones' character is describing two dreams he had and then says he woke up; then the film ends).

It's almost dream like in the sense of a David Lynch film. Nothing really seems real about the film after the hunter leaves the desert.
A lot about the movie also made me think of "Who'll Stop the Rain" which was about many of the same types of themes:

Who'll Stop the Rain

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Iron Man - 9.5/10.

Agreed! I saw it yesterday, I had a pass to an advance screening. It was definitely worth watching, I found it pretty entertaining. Robert Downy Jr plays a good Tony Stark, probably from experience of being a rich a-hole surrounded by women, alcohol and drugs and stuff :lol: I'll probably see it again with friends who haven't seen it yet.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The Mist 9.0 review of oh snapness

I might actually give this movie a shot now. From what you say it does sound like a decent enough movie. Hell its based on a novel by Stephen King so that should automatically count as decent right?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It does have problems, but I'm so tired of generic happy endings that the score might be a tad inflated. For instance, the really religious nutcase doesn't have a proper foil character, so she comes off as either really off-putting if you're not religious or really awesome if you are. And since there's no foil, it leaves you wondering if the writer was trying to prove something.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Agreed! I saw it yesterday, I had a pass to an advance screening. It was definitely worth watching, I found it pretty entertaining. Robert Downy Jr plays a good Tony Stark, probably from experience of being a rich a-hole surrounded by women, alcohol and drugs and stuff :lol: I'll probably see it again with friends who haven't seen it yet.

Its always good to know people who go to advance screenings :lol: seeing it Friday.

It does have problems, but I'm so tired of generic happy endings that the score might be a tad inflated. For instance, the really religious nutcase doesn't have a proper foil character, so she comes off as either really off-putting if you're not religious or really awesome if you are. And since there's no foil, it leaves you wondering if the writer was trying to prove something.

I found her character overly exaggerated, personally. I would have appreciated the position the plot required for her if she didn't start off as a psycho from the get go. It's much more effective to show normal, average people turn insane during an irrational situation rather than predictably one-sided nutbars filling the shoes of the only role they are good for. I also felt the CGI use was a bit on the crap side. But other than a little here and a little there...I thought it was a pretty good flick.

It's also interesting to see where Silent Hill probably got a lot of its ideas....although not having read the original story I can't say how faithful an adaptation it was. But still...the similarities were very obvious.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Into the Wild. I liked it a lot, despite the obvious romantization of what really happened. The photography was great, as was the acting by Hirsch, Harden, Hurt and perhaps especially Holbrook. 10/10

Last edited: