Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Zombieland 8/10

Pretty hilarious. Good have done with more action, but it was definitely entertaining and made me want to play Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 :D

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
The Strangers : 2/10 - Terrible movie and just makes me wonder if this is truly based off actual events, i have two things to say. #1: Some people have way to much time to **** around with people & #2: Those strangers are bloody psychotic.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Underworld rise of the lycans: 7-7.5/10

No bullets this time, many werewolves (they look pretty decent and ferocious). Evil and dark settings are succesfull, movie was a bit short though.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Maratonci Trče Počasni Krug. Very, very amusing. Featuring some very dark, sometimes grotesque humour, this movie does most what Kusturica does a decade later: lovely, yet downright crazy and violent characters all around, a fun soundtrack and insane plot developments. 9/10

High Noon. Classic western featuring a near real-time plot. Gary Cooper's performance is iconic, famous movie villain Lee van Cleef appears for the very first time. Some brilliant photography (the approaching train comes to mind). A great soundtrack. If anything, the film suffers a little from all the lone wolf movies appearing afterwards. The deliberate over-exposure is an interesting and original, if somewhat overdone touch. 8/10

Ljeto U Zlatnoj Dolini. It didn't appeal that much to me. A lot of the movie was predictable, and a lot of the more interesting aspects have been done - and seen - before. Furthermore, I wasn't too fond of the mixing of ironic-fairy-tale elements with the overly gritty description of the city of Sarajevo. 6/10

The Bourne Identity. The films in the trilogy so far are some of the best entries in the action spy flick genre. While the more realistic approach is an interesting change from older Bond movies (while the newer ones seem heavily influenced by Bourne), it's still far away from classic spy films. In a way, it's walking a thin line between trying to be believable while still featuring a seemingly superhuman main character. And sometimes, it just does not work: why would a professional like Bourne who, despite having lost his memory, acts extremely wise and sensible at all times, join Marie in going to her old friend's place, fully knowing they must have been spotted on camera in front of the American consulate? I actually prefer some of the more over the top Bonds for being exactly like that, and especially for the irony, for not taking itself so seriously. 7/10

The Bourne Supremacy. On top of all I've said about the first movie, this one suffers from "bad guy freely explains his plans"-syndrome. Makes up with great chase scenes though. 7/10

Salò O Le 120 Giornate Di Sodoma. Disturbing and repulsive. I can see the intention(s), and as a matter of fact, the movie brings it (them) across very well, but I had a hard time watching most of the scenes and actually finishing the film. I could only do that by actively trying to disconnect by keeping to pause it and getting my mind off for a time. It's brilliant, perhaps even more so in the photographic department, but borderline unwatchable. 7/10

American Graffiti. A youth movie classic, up there with The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Features such memorable scenes as the ripping-off of the rear axle of a police cruiser, the nerd finally getting kissed and the repeated taunting of other drivers at traffic lights. Back when George Lucas made great movies. 8/10

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Ye yan (AKA The Banquet, Legend of the Black Scorpion) 5/10

Loosely based on Hamlet, the whole is somewhat less than the sum of the parts. The biggest problem being with a ghost-less Hamlet, who, despite kick-ass kung fu and swordsmanship, was far too effete to make much impact. We simply don't care about his troubles. Meanwhile, Gertrude seems to be confused as to which play she is in and has become Lady Macbeth.

Although the whole only rates a 5, there are many strengths to this movie and it should be watched. The set design is stunning, pretty as a picture. Costumes are equally admirable. Some of the action scenes are well done but others are too balletic to have much tension.

A half point was lost for the annoyances on the UK DVD. A non-skippable trailer and occasionally variable screen aspect ratios soured matters somewhat.

Do watch it but be warned that it is emotionally uninvolving.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
UP 8.5/10

It seems that Pixar's long-term love affair with the works of Miyazaki has finally persuaded them that the time is ripe for a remake of Kiki's Delivery Service.

It is hard to be original in such an obviously derivative work but I think Pixar has succeeded in adding something to the feel of the original. The result bears much of the charm of the original but has an added bittersweet edge. Throw in the usual Pixar style and the result is a hugely enjoyable movie.

One not to be missed.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Flawless-8/10

This flick tries to be a classic heist movie and it succeeds. Dynamic, believable performances from Michael Caine and Demi Moore are worth the viewing alone.

Great acting and a good supporting cast make this clever story really work well.

Zombieland - 6.5/10

Pretty enjoyable Zombie comedy. Gotta say that it had the same problem as Shaun of the Dead, in that the last quarter of the flick lost its steam. But there's some funny stuff in here if you give it a shot, and if you appreciate zombie culture...and also appreciate what zombie comedy used to mean back in the day in films like Return of the Living Dead compared to this, you'll give it credit for pulling it off. Still, while it's a good zombie comedy it's still not a great comedy comedy. The "rules" aspect was cute, but it would have been funnier if this was made prior to Zombie Survival Guide. Otherwise, it just looks like lazy writing.

Rock 'n Rolla - 6/10

Great, Guy Ritchie makes another cockney crime movie. Not saying it's a bad thing. But let's face it, he's no Scorsese or Tarantino when it comes to replaying old material. I actually enjoyed it, and there were a few scenes that had me smirking. But I was left wanting more. Unlike previous efforts, there wasn't a likable character to fixate on, but even still the outcome and Ritchie's deadly game of ironic coincidence and chance encounters plays out more or less as it usually does. Not as good as Snatch, certainly better than Lock Stock.

Quarantine - 3/10

Haven't seen the original, but based on this I think I'd pass on an offer to see it. Don't wanna have another Funny Games, and contrary to popular belief...nine times out of ten foreign horror movies tend to suck for me. Either this kind of camcorder movie works or it doesn't. This doesn't. You basically watch a bunch of unlikable people run around like idiots in a locked up apartment building during a Super Rabies outbreak. If you've seen like five horror movies in your life, you'll be yawning at the retardation of the group of survivors as their numbers get shorter and shorter, and you probably won't get a decent look at what the hell is going on during the whole damn flick. The cherry on the cake? At the last 25% of the movie mark, the main character (the sister from Dexter, a much better role for her) basically spends the entire climax of the film wigging out. Yeah, great. Put a hysterically whimpering chick in front of a shaky cam as she fumbles about a dark apartment building, attracting all the psychos with her shouts and gets all her male protectors killed. If they were smart, they would have thrown her over a railing and barricaded themselves in a pantry.

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
Quarantine - 3/10

Haven't seen the original, but based on this I think I'd pass on an offer to see it. Don't wanna have another Funny Games, and contrary to popular belief...nine times out of ten foreign horror movies tend to suck for me. Either this kind of camcorder movie works or it doesn't. This doesn't. You basically watch a bunch of unlikable people run around like idiots in a locked up apartment building during a Super Rabies outbreak. If you've seen like five horror movies in your life, you'll be yawning at the retardation of the group of survivors as their numbers get shorter and shorter, and you probably won't get a decent look at what the hell is going on during the whole damn flick. The cherry on the cake? At the last 25% of the movie mark, the main character (the sister from Dexter, a much better role for her) basically spends the entire climax of the film wigging out. Yeah, great. Put a hysterically whimpering chick in front of a shaky cam as she fumbles about a dark apartment building, attracting all the psychos with her shouts and gets all her male protectors killed. If they were smart, they would have thrown her over a railing and barricaded themselves in a pantry.

Watch REC - it's infinitely better.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - 4/10
The more fantastical segments were amazing, mind-blowing stuff - like a Monty Python animation made real - but they were depressingly few and far between. What filled the lengthy gaps were drab, incoherent and only very rarely entertaining stretches of poorly realised attempts at storytelling. This may be Heath Ledger's last movie, but don't make that a reason to see it - this isn't an actor's film; he's only able to draw a nothing performance from a nothing character.
That said, I was rather amazed at Lily Cole's hotness. Pictures really don't begin to do her justice.

Anyway... if you must see it, I suggest waiting for the DVD, and fast-forwarding to whenever things start looking like a particularly trippy album cover.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Dune mini series (2000): 4-5/10

Because it was very long winding, sloppy (recycling used scenes - f.e. in battles, it was so obvious it hurt), acting was below average, very sleep inducing "story"line etc.
And drawn backgrounds. Yes, I really did believe there was an actual desert with grand rock formations behind them....
On the other hand, the space scenes were done quite well. But as a whole, this failed. Sometimes there were sudden time transitions, skipping important parts. New characters enter the story, and the others don't seem to age at all. Freaking weird.
The worst actor had to be the guy playing the emperor. It was horrible.

The costumes were the most hilarious bit. I don't think I've ever seen such ridiculous outfits for soldiers or well.. pretty much anyone.

In a galaxy far, far and away...people drink coffee and thee.

Imaginative and unimaginative at the same time.

Btw, wasn't the baron swallowed by a worm in the original movie? There was hardly any action with those monsters involved.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I gave REC like a 6.5 I think. It was alright, but the shaky cam gets old after a while.

For real horror I always recommend the descent to people. That is a damn fine film.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
For real horror I always recommend the descent to people. That is a damn fine film.
seconded and thirded.

I've been enjoying a few of those Masters of Horror episodes on Netflix too, lately.
I can't remember the names of all of them, but they range from average to absolutely great, and they're only an hour long each.

edit
a couple of the best ones I remember now: Cigarette Burns and Imprint.
I'd recommend watching those... especially Cigarette Burns.

Last edited: