Quake Live Opens

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Does that actually work in QL? I know the 'quick' circle jump, the one you use from a complete standstill to gain speed quickly is present, but I thought this technique was exclusive to the defrag/cpma mods?

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Nope strafe jumping has always been around in "vanilla" quake 3.
All CPMA added was the ability to turn corners and such while still strafe jumping.
In "Vq3" which quake live uses, you can haul ass in a straight line and take light turns using the walls and such but if you need to do say a turn around something more than 30-40° you have to stop and start again.

Also for all those who say the strafe jumping aspect "breaks" the game, it's entirely possible to win matches and do well without it, even against an opponent who does. In cpma yes you had to pretty much master it to be competitive with other players. in vanilla quake 3 not only is it not necessary, but can also leave you open to easy prediction shots and landing shots.

Also the point of the "training hallway" is to separate the players who can and cant do it well. I tried to join a fellow clan members game last night and it forbid me saying my 'skill level was too high" because I had completed the hallway to the expert level and he hadnt.

You'll also notice in the video I posted I dont do a full 90° turn as I start my strafe jumping. This is due to my super high sens I use in q3 and I'm used to doing a quick flick from the side to get it started now.

All in all quake 3 has been and always will be my fav fps for straight up dm fragging and quake live is a great addition to the quake family after the disaster that was Q4.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I know strafe jumping was already present, if you read half a page up I actually posted an explanation how to do it:)
What I meant is the image that you posted, it's the technique you mention yourself CPMA added where you can turn corners while strafing. You couldn't do that in vQ3 and you can't do that in QL, that's what I meant.

If you mean that image as in, keep holding forward all the time and do this from a standstill, oh, and don't do it slowly but quickly, then yes. That's in QL:)
edit: Crap, I just noticed the video link I posted directs you to a COD4 video instead of the quake 3 defrag video I intended to post-_-

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, seems to be awfully slow/down at the moment. Which is odd, because I just played there for an hour up to ten minutes ago. Ah well, I should probably get some work done;)

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Correct. Carmack actually fixed it in a patch, and people freaked out over it so much that it was put back in (sadly, not optionally) by popular demand.

One of many reasons why I shunned Quake... ****ing goofy movement.

You forgot that the patch made movement jerky too.

Boog: what is your QL name ;]

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
atf_boogityboy

Didnt know it had a spot for "clan tag" in the options like UT3 :D.

Oh and that image is just for doing a circle jump DarQ. A single circle jump... which is how you've always done it and started the strafe jump chain. i.e. facing 90° then turning as you jump while still turning the mouse as you move forward. That isn't supposed to be representing turning a corner :D

My only major gripe with quake live so far is my stats seem to get wiped. First when it went "live" beta from closed, then again the other day after an update it now reports all 0's for me in percentages and no matches played, yet it still keeps my friends and all options. Although at this point it doesnt matter to me as Im the farthest thing from a stats whore there is.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Unrelated to strafe jump:

I'm getting this horrible lag all the time. I've turned on the FPS indicator, and I get 125FPS most of the times, but very often, especially during combat, it will lower to 1FPS for a split second and back up to 125 again. Of course, I died in the process. I read somewhere it was something called "talkback" that you could disable, but I haven't figured out how.

Vista Home Premium 64bit, 2x2.25Ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9200GS

Doesn't make sense that QLive runs that bad, considering UT2004 runs on Normal settings at 960x600... QLive does this no matter the detail level I set it to. I play Full screen (My native res is only 1280x800, so in the web browser would leave some stuff cut off...) at 1280x800.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw had HUUGE problems after their so called update now.....to the point game became ****ty, I uninstalled it today and I don't plan getting bac to quakelive...

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Leo, look what boog wrote. This is a beta and you don't uninstall the game :p Wait for another update and tell them what the problem is on the forums. :p

boog: I don't really mind my stats being wiped since I play on computers at school with no sound and ball mice and hardly ever on my own at home.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
But the game kinda bored me anyway, so I didn't mind uninstalling it, I prefer UTs or any Unreal over that.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Just coming back to say it runs fine on:

Q6600, 2GB Ram, Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 and Windows XP 32bit

Both computers run QLive through Firefox, a few add-ons are different but the big ones are NoScript (Set to allow), ABP, Skype extension, AVG Link Scan, Greasemonkey and Proxy U93 add-on (Which I do not use).
It can't be the laptop's graphic card (9200GS) that isn't powerful enough, because the very same card runs WH40k Soulstorm maxed out, UT2004 on Normal, UT99 maxed out, Audiosurf on low 960x600... Something to do with configuration somewhere, but I don't have any ideas... Maybe disable CPU throttling for a start, but it's Vista and I have no idea where to do that (Desktop with the 8800 GTS is set to "Always On" in the power management which effectively disables CPU throttle afaik).

Anyways, while playing on the desktop I finally managed to get my KDR over 1 for the game I was playing, almost around 2. Usually it's around .7, .8... :/

Last edited: