Quake Live Opens

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Welcome to the internet;)
Every game has idiots playing it. Try asking for help in a CS server, you'll probably be teamkilled, sprayed and then banned. It's not that bad here:)

I certainly agree to the spammy character of the game with its current weapon balancing but it wasn't always like this. That's why I'm confused.

Maybe id are trying out the different weapon tweaks now, when everyone can play instead of just quake fanatics. I sure hope they'll roll this tweak back a bit:)

If you're having crosshair trouble (or any other form of trouble really), look up the QuakeLive config generator. I believe a link to it was posted in this thread. If not, I'll post it later.

The rest of your complaints are .. well .. nonsense.
You're accusing people of shooting you when you're not looking at them? It's not some sort of turn-based game ffs! What do you expect them to do if you're outnumbered, wait for you to kill their teammates before attacking?
Also, try joining servers with not too many people in them. I believe the sv_maxclients command still works, so once in a server you can set the max number of players.
Also also, stats aren't working for a lot of people. As was to be expected, since they took them offline to be able to handle the server loads. The literal statement made by id is that they "want to get stats back up as soon as possible". You should read the news updates before you go complaining about things.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I actually like the LG and rail strength right now ;} You'll find me either in a CA game or 1v1ing. If the server is too crowded, just leave and find another, I just did, 6v6 wasn't asdf for that map I was just on.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
The less crowded the servers are, the more fun I have usually. I like 2v2 a hell lot for example :O Of course, depends on the map as well.

I think the weapons are pretty good as is. I can find a use for all of them. And I'm not that good at the game really, though I love it and didn't have much trouble completing the expert thingy (with a rocket jump though :p). I might try to do it with a strafe jump later.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
How do I strafe jump? :D

Honestly: I can't do it. I rocket jumped it though. Probably shouldn't have as I'm now matched with people who are leagues better than I am. >.<

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Welcome to the internet;)
Every game has idiots playing it. Try asking for help in a CS server, you'll probably be teamkilled, sprayed and then banned. It's not that bad here:)

I certainly agree to the spammy character of the game with its current weapon balancing but it wasn't always like this. That's why I'm confused.

Maybe id are trying out the different weapon tweaks now, when everyone can play instead of just quake fanatics. I sure hope they'll roll this tweak back a bit:)

If you're having crosshair trouble (or any other form of trouble really), look up the QuakeLive config generator. I believe a link to it was posted in this thread. If not, I'll post it later.

The rest of your complaints are .. well .. nonsense.
You're accusing people of shooting you when you're not looking at them? It's not some sort of turn-based game ffs! What do you expect them to do if you're outnumbered, wait for you to kill their teammates before attacking?
Also, try joining servers with not too many people in them. I believe the sv_maxclients command still works, so once in a server you can set the max number of players.
Also also, stats aren't working for a lot of people. As was to be expected, since they took them offline to be able to handle the server loads. The literal statement made by id is that they "want to get stats back up as soon as possible". You should read the news updates before you go complaining about things.

Well, that sure happens everywhere, but just you know, in Quakelive I found it bit more annoying(so it is not total nonsense and I didn't talk of team games here but mainly free for all) due to the too spammy attitude (I mean in UT games you mostly notice that someone is running behind you or something and can react adequately, this is kinda different) and even the server list does not work as it should for me either, sometimes does not list anything I think.
I have seen the quakelive generator posted somewhere, dunno if here (probably not though), but I did not download it yet though and I don't feel like returning to the game right now, maybe sometime later, I just got bored with it and no I am not leaving because of some people, besides I believe I handled them well while in the server even.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
How do I strafe jump? :D

Honestly: I can't do it. I rocket jumped it though. Probably shouldn't have as I'm now matched with people who are leagues better than I am. >.<

There are some youtube vids that explain it properly. Just make sure you watch one that describes the 'regular' Q3 version, not CPMA, since its specific techniques don't work in Quake Live.

The quick and dirty explanation is that you keep hopping as soon as you hit the ground, and repeat this sequence:

1) Aim a little bit to the left of where you want to go. Hold Forward and Right, and slowly and smoothly move your mouse to the right. SLOWLY. Jerky or fast movement won't work. We're talking a turn of about 30-40 degrees here, so no 360 spins.
2) As soon as your crosshair arrives far enough to the right of your 'target', let go of the Right Arrow. KEEP HOLDING FORWARD ALL THE TIME.
3) Now do the same as step one, but in reverse. Hold Forward and Left, keep hopping and slowly move the mouse left.
4) As soon as you arrive far enough left, let go of left while holding forward and go back to step 1.

If you're doing it correctly, you should be seeing an increase in speed. I believe there's a command for a speed (units per second) counter in quake, but I can't remember it. Activating that will quickly tell you if you're doinitrite.

Also, try not to hit any walls. Whenever you need to make a turn, delay your next hop a bit, so that you regain ground control and turn. Then restart the process. For starters just practice the forward strafing, it's hard enough as it is, but once you get better at this you can do turns almost without losing any momentum. GL!

BTW: Stats tracking seems to be back up for me. Shame the only match it's tracked so far was a 6-minute long match where I was AFK. My accuracy stats are amazing now;)

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Is it an exploit found by players or an intended feature ?

It's a consequence of the way movement and momentum is handled in the engine.
I'm not sure where its origins lie, since I wasn't old enough to be gaming at that time, but I believe strafejumping was present in at least Quake 2 and possibly earlier versions of the engine. However, id Games left it in even when it had already become a widely used technique so it's not an exploit. Hell, they even have obstacles in the QL training mission that you can't clear without using this technique, as well as some jumps in the maps that require the additional speed.

Btw, to correct my previous post, the angle you're looking for is more like 30-45% in each direction rather than the 10% I mentioned earlier. I messed up this figure because I play at higher FOV settings which makes it harder to judge small angles.

Video example

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It was an unintended feature kind of like boost dodging in UT2003.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Thanks DQ, but what I meant was that I can't do it. :p
I tried but I always end up letting go of forward.

Edit: waaat, I almost actually made it :eek: Cool

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Keep practicing;)
An excellent way to practice, btw, is playing Warsow, a free-to-play downloadble game. That's how I learned.
It does enable some techniques that aren't possible in quake live (such as walljumps, dashes and CPMA-style turns), but the focus on movement in this game is much higher.
Besides that, the most played warsow instagib map, WCA1 "playground", has huge open hallways with some easy turns where you can practice perfectly.
The speed gain is also higher than in Quake and it's got the speed counter by default, so it's way more apparent if you're doing it correctly.
As if that wasn't reason enough, warsow is a lot of fun;)

Play a few rounds of instagib against beginners or bots and I can guarantee you'll have the technique down.

Btw, you're lucky it's you who isn't able to perform the technique yet. You can learn. A roomie of mine's laptop keyboard suffers from ghosting near the WASD keys, so he literally can't and will never be able to strafejump properly unless he buys a new keyboard.

@Brizz: That's how it started out, I guess, but can you really still call it that after it's been left in 3 generations of the same game? Some of the offical maps' layouts are even dependent on its existence.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I've actually made it with strafe jump. I guess I was watching the wrong video guide... Thanks DQ :)

Also, today our team won on CTF-Stronghold during sudden death with me making the final capture. Cool :)

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Open Beta is going really well now. For those that gave up with the queue or haven't tried it yet then jump in! No waiting times and the stats are back, more servers, lots and lots of ppl playing. Plenty of noobs for new players like me. It's a blast :D

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Doing the Training hallway

How to strafe jump

and...

qcj.jpg

Last edited: