It's here! Hyrulian's UT2k4 Message Colorizer!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I don't see anything wrong with colored names.
I've seen some people who colored their clan-tags and it looks nifty.

It's more annoying that there can be 5 "Player" on a server but maybe that's fixed in 2k4?

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
From what I've seen, nope.

Multiple people called player is okay but oh God! Colour in a name! Quick, patch it out! :rolleyes:

Mulch_D

Noxious Weed
Mar 9, 2003
Melborne, Australia.
mulchd.net
Very nice work Hyrulian and G-Lite.
I've got a question though, is their a consol comand so you can change your name in game, that way I can bind it to change the last color/colour in my name to be red or blue depending on which team I'm on.
Thanx.

Edit: Don't worry I found the answer it's
Code:
SETNAME [playername]

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah it's stupid to just take it out. They could just as easily add full support for it, so it doesn't screw up messages, make it easier to use, and add an option to not see the color changes (for all you leet folks who play UT2004 with an text interface and have a hard time reading colored names on the screen).

the_joyrider

May 18, 2000
come.to
it's not only messages, it affects %p flag with demomasks & screenshotsmasks resulthing in them not begin saved. It can be used to write bogus say msg'es than keeps on changing after u said it to random names from in the game & weird signs. same can be done for ure nickname itself having it rotate to random names (without scripts just due to the color system being exploited). If epic would need to fix it they would to make a similar version to utcomp's to get rid of the 20 char spacing. but prevent tampering of the settings using the ini's and prevent bogus nick colors everywhere since well utcomp can be exploited as well with color system. I think it's to much to do for them & they got more important things to fix or sumthing

Last edited by a moderator:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Hmm....so they're going to be patched away :hmm:
I admit that I don't like the way the colored naming is right now, but what about the colored messages? Or colored servernames?
I think that the bad thing with the colored names is that they don't seem to realise that the basic colors are very visible. I've had a few encounters where I had to look up to the sky just to be able to see what some dude was saying. But I can't see how this confuses people. You have a scoreboard display, right? Put it on a key that you can reach easily and that problem is over (I have mine on my middle mouse button).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It distracts from the game. Colored server names is really dumb because everyone and their dog starts to use them and you get a nice headache trying to look at them. As mentioned in the other thread, you can't kick people from the console without the color codes....etc etc etc. IMO it's easier and better to just get rid of them.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Coloured names can be abused, but there's a solution Epic could implement for both those people who find coloured names annoying, and those of us who like our clan tags to be a different colour. Simply define a set amount of colours that can be used for the player name (like Q3 does), disallow the manual input of [ADMIN] in a player name, and include a client-side toggle to disable all coloured names (except where set by the game in a team game, obviously). Voila. :)

Of course, there are probably many more important things to take care of than facilitating coloured names, so the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality of patching them away is the easier option.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
Yeah because colored names where so distracting and detrimental to the Q3 "pro" world. I mean jesus it really stunted it's growth compared to all the "pro" play of UT and ut2k3.[/sarcasm]

You guys where talking about not nerfing the fun out of the game a few months ago, and now I see the same faces complaining about something that doesn't even effect gameplay unless you spend alot of time looking at the scoreboard.

Looks like whining is gonna take a little bit more of the fun out of the game because god forbid someone wants a red name instead of a white one!!

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I hope they keep colours in for DM games in a moderated way.

I won't worry, that idiot DrSiN will call it a "cheat" and make sure it's impossible in the next patch. But bear in mind that this is the same person who think's that hitsounds/indicators are "cheats", he's not exactly keeping up with the times...

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
phil said:
Yeah because colored names where so distracting and detrimental to the Q3 "pro" world. I mean jesus it really stunted it's growth compared to all the "pro" play of UT and ut2k3.[/sarcasm]

You guys where talking about not nerfing the fun out of the game a few months ago, and now I see the same faces complaining about something that doesn't even effect gameplay unless you spend alot of time looking at the scoreboard.

Looks like whining is gonna take a little bit more of the fun out of the game because god forbid someone wants a red name instead of a white one!!

:tup:

Selerox said:
I won't worry, that idiot DrSiN will call it a "cheat" and make sure it's impossible in the next patch. But bear in mind that this is the same person who think's that hitsounds/indicators are "cheats", he's not exactly keeping up with the times...

Well maybe not cheating but certainly lame

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
Scumgrief said:
People are already mucking up the "fun" by doing things like black text, playing as a green dot . or a curren ¤.

I've already seen them, and it really screws with your eyesight & recognition (which xhair am I looking at or, you're too busy being distracted by a lightshow name that you miss your shot & get hammered)

You're telling me that your eyesite is so bad that you cant tell the diffrence between a dot over someones head and your crosshair and that your A.D.D. is so bad that flashes of color completely break your concentration? Might want to look into some glasses and redilin bro. :con:

The thing that really irks me about it is that it's a client side modification that effects the way I see things in the game. Why should I have to turn off my enemy names just so someone can have a friggin KC-light bar on their name?

The obvious answer is the exact reverse...why should they change to accommodate you?

Devastator

What are YOU looking at?
Apr 8, 2003
North
bua.beyondunreal.com
Scumgrief said:
The thing that really irks me about it is that it's a client side modification that effects the way I see things in the game. Why should I have to turn off my enemy names just so someone can have a friggin KC-light bar on their name?

Totally agree :tup:

TyeFang

Ambassador
phil said:
You're telling me that your eyesite is so bad that you cant tell the diffrence between a dot over someones head and your crosshair and that your A.D.D. is so bad that flashes of color completely break your concentration? Might want to look into some glasses and redilin bro. :con:

The obvious answer is the exact reverse...why should they change to accommodate you?

hmm, lets think about this logically....

Benefits to a player having his name in flashing neon lights or as a symbol ¤ that looks like a crosshair:

It's pretty damn obvious they think its an advantage if they are using it like this.

- Tye

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
TyeFang said:
hmm, lets think about this logically....

Benefits to a player having his name in flashing neon lights or as a symbol ¤ that looks like a crosshair:

It's pretty damn obvious they think its an advantage if they are using it like this.

- Tye

So your telling me a white dot or ¤ wouldnt be just as much of an "advatage"? :rolleyes: I don't know about you guys but I tend to aim and watch for bodies not names. :)

OH **** WHAT IF I WAS USING A NAME THAT WAS AN UNSHOWABLE ASCII CHARACTER I WOULD TOTALLY HAVE AN ADVATAGE THEN! YOU GUYS WOULDNT BE ABLE TO FIND ME!

Last edited: