Is there anyone here who IS NOT HAVING problems..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
I've had a bunch of problems, but I got things to work. Unfortunately, it's still pretty slow even at 640x480 with all detail set to low, etc. I think my main bottleneck is the low RAM, but frame rates of 20-25 still seems low on:

K6-2 350 (kept getting errors in the demo when oc's, haven't tried in retail yet)
64 MB
Diamond TNT2 Utlra 32 MB
SB Live

I just got the TNT2. Before I was running a Voodoo Banshee that was much smoother in the demo. I need to try it out in the retail and see how it is.

The real peculiar thing is, UT kept crashing (black screen - frozen) if audio was set to 22050 hz in advanced options. Once it was set to 11025 hz, all was good, but it's a waste to buy a new sound card if you can't use it.

Should I have stuck with the Banshee and SB AWE 32 (ISA - yeah it's old)?
How much do you think extra RAM will help?

All comments appreciated.

TIA and happy fraggin'

Sulla

Nov 29, 1999
Visit site
Home built:
PIII 500
Abit BH6 Mobo
128 MB PC-100 RAM
8MB Voodoo2 from Creative (V3 in the mail)
SB AWE-64
ISDN

No problems really. Runs very fast.

Rikus

Aug 18, 1999
California
No problems here, online or off.

AMD K6-3/450
128MB RAM
Voodoo3 3000
Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD-ROM
ISDN 128K (although I mostly play on a single 64K channel)

Nothing overclocked.

S

Slaughter

No problems here either.

Int 200MMX
96MB Ram
CL Voodoo II w/12MB
Cable

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
RW..

Pre-caching for TNT2
.. isn't this a requirement for the card... won't performance be effected?
..if someone knows of a link about this pre-caching stuff with some detailed info..it would be much appreciated.

Simpleton

I used to have 64mb ram and it sucked....the difference is like night and day..definite must ..especially with UT ...get total of 128mb ram..you won't be sorry, I think anything over 128 mb is not as beneficial as or as cost/performance effective.. the benefits for anything in excess of 128 mb are not as clearly realized or seen.

[This message has been edited by EASY_Target (edited 11-29-1999).]

Spaceman

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
P2 400
128 RAM
Diamond TNT2U

Runs great at 800x600x32 with the demo I only had 64MB of RAM and it ran ok, it was the 128 that did it for me.

(Yes I post here also MUHAHAHAHAHA /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)

TheRock

The Official BuF MASCOT
Nov 10, 1999
Smackdown Hotel
members.ud.com
The People's PC.
UT Performance... Simply Electrifying.
Celeron 450a
128 megs pc100ram
Tnt2ultra Viper 770
Detonator drivers 3.62
Mx300
Logitech MouseMan+ USb
3m Precise Mousing Surface
19inch Monitor
Altec Lansing Surround Sound System

Ah the Sweet Sounds of Death and Carnage.
/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

IF YA SMELL LA! LA! LA!
WHAT THE PU MASCOT IS....
........... Cooking!

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
personly id go with a v3 3000 for UT but if your also in to the quake yes TNT2U is the way to do

as for my sys
p2 350
64 meg ram (AHHHH SWAPPING IS BAD!!!)
16 meg banshee
awe 64
cable modem
some microsoft wheel mouse
no name mpad

i gets 30-40 fps at 800 600 all stuff on
how much would 64 meg more ram do?

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
128 mb ram will probably eliminate all your HD file swapping..also set up a virtual file at 150 mb..helps a lot!

Make sure your DMA is checked off under device manager/disc drive/settings..your HD will speed up dramatically for through putting data

[This message has been edited by EASY_Target (edited 11-29-1999).]

Simpleton

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
I forgot to mention, the 64 MB I do have is 60 ns Simms, so I'm double screwed. I guess I'd better spend another $200+ on a 128 MB PC100 Dimm. Nothing like spending $500+ to play a $50 game /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

One more question on Virtual Memory: Should I set a min and max for virtual memory, or let windows manage it?

When I do get things running smoothly, I will thank you all with many frags!!

Thanks again.

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
Set up a swap file of 180MB min, and 180MB max. Here is hoow to do that. BTW you can get 128MB PC 100 for 4148.99 over at http://www.computersupersale.com/ .

To setup a permanent swapfile for Windows 9x, right click on My Computer and select the Properties. You can also get here through the control panel by double clicking the System icon. Head over to the Performance tab, and select Virtual Memory. Since we are going for Maximum Tweakage, we are going to have to defrag your hard drive in order to create a defragged swapfile. Here's how to do it:

1.) Disable your Virtual Memory. Windows will cry a few times, just ignore its error messages.

2.) Reboot your computer and defrag your C: drive. If your swapfile is on a different drive/partition, defrag that drive instead.

3.) After the defrag is complete, go back to the Virtual memory settings and select 'Let me specify my own virtual memory settings'. Make both the Minimum and Maximum values the same. This prevents Windows from wasting time resizing the swapfile. If disk space is low, you can go with a 100 MB swapfile, otherwise go for 200 MB. This will ensure you will never run out of virtual RAM.

4.) Reboot and enjoy your optimized swapfile!

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Cable Dsl Isdn your all full out ****!!!! Buy you a 56k and play on that on every server you can find I bet you whine and don't lie!!!! Idiots

bullet2.gif

I am the one!!!!

Bugsy

Nov 10, 1999
North Richland Hills, TX
Visit site
I'm gettin around 42FPS avg. on most maps at 1024x768 with high details and surround sound. Tried 800x600 and it wasn't any faster??? A3d still doesn't sound right on MX300 and overall, the game runs about 10FPS slower than the demo.

PII 400 oc to 448
128MB
Prophet 3D (not using for UT ~35FPS)
V2 SLI
MX300

Good Luck!

Napalm Joe

Wraith, you amaze me...

Home-Built:
AMD K6III/450 on an ASUS P95A-B motherboard
176 MB RAM
TNT2 32 MB Viper 770
56k USR Modem
I removed my SB Live! and put the old AWE64 back in and things got much better. There are new drivers out for the SB Live! but mine is running so good now that I hate to screw with it....
Altec-Lansing speakers with subwoofie

I run at 800 x 600 (in 32-bit color!!!) with all the goodies on a true 52k connection with smooth gameplay on most servers. On others, my ping shoots up awhile then comes back down, fluctuating. I just don't play there long. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
On WadAsia's server, I get smooth as silk gameplay, even with my 52k connection and all. Wraith, do you happen to live in Australia?????? hehehe...

Oh, and when I bumped my RAM up to 176 MB from 128 there a big improvement also. I was surprised, I figured more than 128 would be plenty. I think buggy drivers are the culprit in most cases, like my SB Live! experiences. Re-installing Windows 98 Second Edition really helped me out recently too. I think I had tried so many different drivers for the TNT2 that I had pieces left over that were causing the problems I initially had. (stuttering play, especially on the net)

I am thrilled with the performance of my machine, I wish I could get a cable modem or something, but can't afford to right now. I may try the 3com gaming modem sometime to see how it affects ping. (I average about 225 ping now.)

bullet2.gif

Napalm Joe-VED
(Very Elite Drunk and Blood champion!)

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
I will say this, I bet the servers are probably closer to you then me!! But thats ok I will continue to play UT with A fuked UP NET CODE !!! And suffer at the hands of epic's NETCODE NIGHTMARE!!!! Because you are not here at my desk at my computer experiencing my problems so shut the FUK up!!! You people just don't seem to notice it because A. you either have cable Isdn or DSL B. you live really close to the server C. if you have seen that little disconnect icon flashing as much as I have even at a 140 ping with no people in there, then I just flat out am imagining all this crap and its not really happening !!!! Ha !!! I laugh in your face Joe Blow so shut the Fuk up !!! And let me suffer with this in my own fashion!! If it takes Bithching about it 24 hrs a day I will and so will the 20 or so people in my town who bought the damn game and also are having the fits with this game online and trust me these people have the systems to run the game aND OUT of all the games that screw up over the net UT is setting a record here in this town as a big joke online !!!! I got enough speed I got enough ram and I got a very good server that is highly prasied for the great connections .. Maybe its the othe way around, all the damn servers are in Australia and so are you!!!!Boy
I tell you what ...

bullet2.gif

I am the one!!!!

[This message has been edited by The-Wraith (edited 11-29-1999).]

Simpleton

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
Thanks to all with USEFULL input (rather than ranting). I went ahead and bought the extra RAM ($240 - OUCH!!!) and it helped a hell of a lot. Still have a few advanced options tweaks to try out and will give the overclocking a second try. The memory also seems to fix the SB live problems I was having. It's like a whole new game /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif Yee Haw!!! Let's rock!!!

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I just got UT installed today. It's awesome, to say the least! I am using an Athlon 550, 128meg PC100, V3-3000, Vortex sound, 26.4K dialup connection. I played quite a bit on my LAN, and this machine makes a hella good server. My other machines are {PII-266, 64meg 60ns, V2-8meg/Diamond Stealth 220,Yamaha sound}; and an {AMD350 K6-2,64 meg PC100,Creative Banshee Blaster 16meg, Sound Blaster16}. These lesser machines are quite playable and enjoyable at lesser resolutions than my "Baby".

So far as netplay goes, it seems about typical so far for me, which is to say it is as good as I could expect on 26.4K. The lag that's there is tolerable and can be "learned" to a certain extent. It sure beats the hell out of Quake3, which is like a series of snapshots strung together most of the time.

RW (and others)posted a modem tweaking page somewhere recently, I did all that stuff, and I think it has helped to lessen the "sleeping modem" thing for me. There were things that I had never heard of doing anything with before I read it there, and I was a bit nervous about some of them, but so far so good. I also highly recommend rerunning Windows98SE setup, after you have all your hardware and software installed. I fixed two computers lately by doing just that. I think that windows setup may be a bit flakey and doesn't get a good read off the cd, most of the time.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Few problems here, but no show stoppers. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Installed the day it was availible. The only problems I have are:
<OL TYPE=A><LI>Alt-Tab crash
<LI>Accessing ngWorldstat through UT menu crash.
</OL>
Sytem:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>ASUS P2B-S
<LI>PII-450
<LI>256MB PC100 RAM
<LI>Voodoo3-3000
<LI>Sony 19" Multiscan 400ps Monitor
<LI>SB-Live Platinum
<LI>Altec Lansing Speakers
<LI>MS Intellimouse (optical)
<LI>Generic 32X CDROM
<LI>2 X 10Gb IDE Hard Drives (IBM Deskstar)
<LI>LS120 720kb/1.44mb/120mb Floppy (IDE)
<LI>Teac 3.5" 720kb/1.44mb Floppy
<LI>Zoom 56K Dualmode Modem
</UL>

[This message has been edited by Lizard Of Oz (edited 11-30-1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.