Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Indeed.
That's the second time Valve has shown exactly how much power they've got over their slaves.
First they prevented everyone from playing games that they bought before a magical 'release date'.
And now they're banning people because they dared to buy a cheaper version somewhere else on the internet.

And so it continues ... *this* is exactly why I hate DRM-contaminated systems like Valve's Steam.

I don't care if Steam makes patching/updating easier, because IMHO games should be finished at release. This system only encourages companies to release betas as they can get even more money even earlier with no way to complain as they can't be forced to follow local rules ...

Besides ... I can already download & install UT3 at any pc of my choice. I don't need Steam for that 'feature', because it's legal over here.
Never mind that it's not that much of an issue for anyone that knows how to use backups.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
hm. epic must be pretty desperate in resorting to steam to try to liven up its failure of a recent release. I doubt it'll do much though. Even ut3, being really slowed down, is still too fast for HL kiddies.

The "Noob" part of your nick is well described in your post... ...no, I am not talking about the HL-kiddie part.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Explain, why not?

I don't get this part. Are you trying to say that just because the game is on Steam there will be more cheats? :con:

UT 3 is still available as a hard copy and as far as I am aware, no plans have been taken yet, to take it off the shelves.
Also this is for you personally. You don't like downloading software - fine. So in actual fact, that the Unreal franchise is available on Steam doesn't affect you at all.
But how is it bad if people that do like the comfort of downloading their software, are able to now?
You can buy your copies off the shelf, others can buy them over Steam. Win-win, no?
The Unreal franchise being on Steam doesn't change a single thing about being able to get a boxed copy.

Well I'm sure if someone has both dial-up and half a brain they will just buy the boxed copy...

no, no, nooo... you misunderstood me :)
Click on the smiley. It leads to a thread where Brizz basically calls Steam the devils tool and is scared about Steam stealing his megahurtz and enslaving his family... and now all of a sudden he reckons it's a great thing! :)
I was just surprised at this 180º change of heart. ;)

I believe my post taken in it's entirety explains why I believe that it is not.

Not more cheats, the result will be more cheaters. Not that I am saying all people who use steam are cheaters or even a majority of them. But the ratio of cheaters to non cheats is higher for steam users then for standard retail consumers, just a simple observation I have made over the past few years.

It's not the now that bothers me. There are people that argue for security reasons (cause supposedly steam makes it harder for people to get non-legit copies of games, yeah right) and financial reasons (less overhead to release games digitally) all games should be distributed solely over systems such as Steam. Popularity of the systems makes there arguements carry more wieght, and I don't like the prospects if they were to win there case.

Some other good objections have been posted also but I have no first hand expieriance with the subject matter of the posts and it is the kind of thing I avoid posting because on the internet it is to easy to simply make stuff up. So I tend to avoid such statements unless I have first hand expieriance along those lines.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
[GU]elmur_fud;2101372 said:
Steam is a magnet for individuals that scam, cheat, etc. etc. And UT3 has enough trouble with this already. Yes Steam causes growth generaly but the lamers to legit players ratio is kind bad compaired to retail.
I bet that at least 50% of cheaters pirate games. And Steam will amount to less piracy.

Bort

nou
May 7, 2003
Mexico
www.mexfrag.net
Wow, thank you Epic.

I brought my game at full retail price in the US, import the **** to my country and now comes out with all the other games via Steam and is cheaper.

o/\o

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
And yet, people continue to bend over and take it in the ass, as this thread clearly shows.

Why the hell would people in the US and other territories with no problems give a crap? I own 20-30 games on Steam and have never had an access problem with a single one of them. Most people will attest to the same thing. Do some people have problems with Steam? Of course. Just like any service with more than 10 million users would have.

Valve has demonstrated to me through their products that they're not out to get anyone. They're not out to screw me over. If Steam somehow shuts down, Valve has already said they'll distribute a utility to allow people to play without Steam.

In short, no one is forced to use Steam (unless you buy a Valve product). If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple, right?

For the vast majority of the millions who use Steam, love its convenience, have tons of friends on the community, and have no problem running it in the background, why the hell are you idiots so adamant in claiming we're "bending over" for Valve?

They make a product we like and have 0 problems with. I fully understand why people who do have problems don't like it, and don't want to use it, but f*ck you if you don't respect our opinion to like it.

Last edited:

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

I think you people either have a complex about being right all the time, or you just enjoy arguing against people who won't budge on their point of view.

Only time will tell what will become of this...

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Also, Anuban, I know I am going to repeat myself here, and that you say you also take the positive side of UT3 in account and stuff, but I really think your into this to much. Maybe you should let things in the UT community go for a few days, play some other games or something like that. Your focusing to much on the downsides of all the Unreal stuff.

Not true at all man ... I look at things from all sides .. I'm too old not to. You haven't seen many of my other threads where I give Epic plenty of credit for the things they did correctly. And I just asked a question dude ... maybe YOU read to much into that. I am not so sure it will bring that many new players to the game but that's me and I don't see my uncertainty in this area as focusing on the down side. In that respect you don't know what you are talking about ...

Why the hell would people in the US and other territories with no problems give a crap? I own 20-30 games on Steam and have never had an access problem with a single one of them. Most people will attest to the same thing. Do some people have problems with Steam? Of course. Just like any service with more than 10 million users would have.

Valve has demonstrated to me through their products that they're not out to get anyone. They're not out to screw me over. If Steam somehow shuts down, Valve has already said they'll distribute a utility to allow people to play without Steam.

In short, no one is forced to use Steam (unless you buy a Valve product). If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple, right?

For the vast majority of the millions who use Steam, love its convenience, have tons of friends on the community, and have no problem running it in the background, why the hell are you idiots so adamant in claiming we're "bending over" for Valve?

They make a product we like and have 0 problems with. I fully understand why people who do have problems don't like it, and don't want to use it, but f*ck you if you don't respect our opinion to like it.

Do you have a link to the information regarding the "millions" of Steam users?
I would like to see how many people do use Steam.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Check.

Anyway, are the Unreal 1-UT-Unreal 2-UT2k4 versions the ones from the Anthology or the standalone releases?

You quoted me incorrectly man ... UT2K4 ECE (not the regular UT2K4) does indeed beat out UT ... see the original post again ... just barely 94 vs 93.6 but it does beat and so it rules the UT roost so to speak. :)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
As long as steam is completely optional (that includes finding games online) I don't care. The moment it switches to mandatory that changes. So UT3 has no activation and steam is optional. Great. Considering this move, how likely will that be the case for future games from Epic? Yeah, FANTASTIC news.

Also it looks like bashing people who don't like the online control mechanism Steam THE FUTURE OF GAMING is the new hip thing to do. Awesome. I like where this world is headed to.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
You quoted me incorrectly man ... UT2K4 ECE (not the regular UT2K4) does indeed beat out UT ... see the original post again ... just barely 94 vs 93.6 but it does beat and so it rules the UT roost so to speak. :)

Bleagh. I <3 UT1 :p

-----------------------\\---------------------------------------

Anyway, as Jeff said in the Epic forums... You get the Anthology counterparts of the four games.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

I think you people either have a complex about being right all the time, or you just enjoy arguing against people who won't budge on their point of view.

Only time will tell what will become of this...

Great post ... I must keep this in mind for myself tbh. :)