Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com

its a good System, I hate time and time again having reinstall games using CD/DVD's where I can install steam and every game I own through it will download and install itself, it'll also be up to date and not the version on the forementioned CD/DVD which will require another X amount of time to update and patch.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Looks like you are pretty much alone on this one pal. Steam is fine ... what is your reason for not wanting Epic to use Steam to make more money and raise interest in the game ... increasing online the amount of users gaming online? Especially since you still have the option to purchase it separately.

I am not alone in my opinions, perhaps alone in them in this community, but not alone. I also don't see this as a 'good' way to raise interest in UT3. I am all for epic doing better financially but I don't think this route is a good one in the long run.

If this was 2004, you might find sympathy, but it's 2008.
Get with the times already.

Great:rolleyes: Do you always follow the latest fads? That may work for you but it don't for me.

I care nothing for sympathy I simply voiced my opinion. I think differently then you (obviously), but I didn't tell you what to do or think. Do think that it's ok 'cause you are hanging out with the majority here on this issue? Perhaps you meant no harm and simply thought you were being humorous, but I see no humor in belittling others.

What was it that has changed for you after others maybe bought it on Steam?

Some1 actualy gets a fairly close shot off on why I dislike steam. Points for splash damage.

Steam is a magnet for individuals that scam, cheat, etc. etc. And UT3 has enough trouble with this already. Yes Steam causes growth generaly but the lamers to legit players ratio is kind bad compaired to retail.

And the second reason I dislike Steam is; Steam's increasing popularity fuels the advocates of a all pushed gaming market and that would be an exceedingly sad day for those of us that like our hard copies. I am not the slightest bit interested in buying something I get no physical representation of.

zeitgeber

Feb 14, 2006
finally a good move. been suggesting this for a long time. steam is awesome. next step is got get ut on bnet matchmaking etc

Wow, what a bunch of sheep. I don't dislike Steam but I'm not one for D/L my games. I want my hard copies thank you very much. I'm not much for playing online so it makes no difference to me. As long as I can still buy it in stores Epic can do as they please.

I feel sorry for the poor sods on dial-up. Can you imagine D/L UT3 on 56k?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
[GU]elmur_fud;2101372 said:
I also don't see this as a 'good' way to raise interest in UT3. I am all for epic doing better financially but I don't think this route is a good one in the long run.
Explain, why not?

Steam is a magnet for individuals that scam, cheat, etc. etc. And UT3 has enough trouble with this already. Yes Steam causes growth generaly but the lamers to legit players ratio is kind bad compaired to retail.
I don't get this part. Are you trying to say that just because the game is on Steam there will be more cheats? :con:

And the second reason I dislike Steam is; Steam's increasing popularity fuels the advocates of a all pushed gaming market and that would be an exceedingly sad day for those of us that like our hard copies. I am not the slightest bit interested in buying something I get no physical representation of.
UT 3 is still available as a hard copy and as far as I am aware, no plans have been taken yet, to take it off the shelves.
Also this is for you personally. You don't like downloading software - fine. So in actual fact, that the Unreal franchise is available on Steam doesn't affect you at all.
But how is it bad if people that do like the comfort of downloading their software, are able to now?
You can buy your copies off the shelf, others can buy them over Steam. Win-win, no?
The Unreal franchise being on Steam doesn't change a single thing about being able to get a boxed copy.

I feel sorry for the poor sods on dial-up. Can you imagine D/L UT3 on 56k?
Well I'm sure if someone has both dial-up and half a brain they will just buy the boxed copy...

its a good System, I hate time and time again having reinstall games using CD/DVD's where I can install steam and every game I own through it will download and install itself, it'll also be up to date and not the version on the forementioned CD/DVD which will require another X amount of time to update and patch.

no, no, nooo... you misunderstood me :)
Click on the smiley. It leads to a thread where Brizz basically calls Steam the devils tool and is scared about Steam stealing his megahurtz and enslaving his family... and now all of a sudden he reckons it's a great thing! :)
I was just surprised at this 180º change of heart. ;)

Last edited:

os][ris

May 10, 2006
What is the big deal about UT3 being available on Steam? Is this something that really only MP online players should be excited about? I have Steam and have had it since HL2 but I just don't see the amazing thing about this. You don't even need to have the DVD in the tray to play the game after you install it so I really don't understand all this enthusiasm ... and I am not trying to dampen it ... I just want in on the party so to speak, so that I can use Steam more effectively. I don't dislike Steam so don't get me wrong. I have Lost Planet as well as EP1, EP2, SiN 1, and the lost coast level and I will probably get the PC verison of Bioshock at some point just to check out the graphics on the PC with DX10.

I'm with you Anuban. I'm not really sure why this is such a big deal. But if it brings more MP players to ut3 then great. If not then whats the point.

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
People whine in this thread like it was on release day you noticed it was Steam exclusive. Apparently it's not and you can still get a hard copy if you haven't already.

Chill out puh-lease. :D

People whine in this thread like it was on release day you noticed it was Steam exclusive. Apparently it's not and you can still get a hard copy if you haven't already.

Chill out puh-lease. :D

I don't see any whining buy the doubters. All I see is a bunch of people creaming their pants because it is on Steam and can't really understand all of the excitement. I highly doubt you will see an increase in on-line players because of this.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I don't see this whole thing as much of an Asset for the us the gaming community. I have no problems with Steam, I played all the Half Life games and even D/L a couple expansion pack or what ever HL calls them. Steam worked just fine in all cases. In all honesty I don't think Steam is going to rescue UT3. Everyone in the Gaming Community especially those loyal to the UT Series has either purchased UT3 or have decided its not worth the money. The facts still remain the same (empty servers, bad support, bad experience, etc) equal loss of players from the community. Yea, I know there are still players that enjoy the game but there are many many players that have said hell with UT3 and switched to playing something Fun.

I still hope that EPIC can turn things around and bring back a majority of players with patches and packs.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
hm. epic must be pretty desperate in resorting to steam to try to liven up its failure of a recent release. I doubt it'll do much though. Even ut3, being really slowed down, is still too fast for HL kiddies.

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
I love all the little kiddies running around in this thread still thinking that it's hip and cool to hate on Steam.

Fantastic news, Epic - bout time you got with the times!

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
No...Just because someone buys a copy of the game does not mean that they are going to play online. Epic has already sold a large number of copies of UT3 and hardly anyone is on-line. How, exactly, is Steam going to make a difference?

Lol, i think more than one person will buy on steam. If 100 people buy the game then maybe 5 will go online. Seeing as steam has a large number of users, it's safe to bet that the player count will increase. Use your head ;)

Last edited:
Lol, i think more than one person will buy on steam. If 100 people buy the game then maybe 5 will go online. Seeing as steam has a large number of users, it's safe to bet that the player count will increase. Use your head ;)

Use your head. You're assuming too much.
If it happens then fine, good for you. What I am saying is that Steam = More Players is a false assumption.

heh.

Last edited: