Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
Yep, I ordered UT3 off of Gamestop and received the Unreal Anthology for free, which includes Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal 2, and UT2004. Some people actually had to pay for it that also ordered from Gamestop, not sure if they eventually got money back or what.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I fully support this decision. Perhaps now we will see a boost in online player counts.

Yes n1 Epic! I hope it brings in some players and fills up the servers. Im sure it can only help.

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I forgot that the Unreal Anthology DOES NOT include UT2k3. I already had it installed ... d'oh!!! I guess I forgot when I was installing UA ... but I do think that the version of U2 comes with XMP.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Words can't express how much I loathe steam. :mad: Why Epic why. First MS and now steam. :( If Epic rolls over any farther to the darkside I'll hunt each of it's executives down and smack em in the nads with a croquet mallet. :mad:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
[GU]elmur_fud;2101180 said:
Words can't express how much I loathe steam. :mad: Why Epic why. First MS and now steam. :( If Epic rolls over any farther to the darkside I'll hunt each of it's executives down and smack em in the nads with a croquet mallet. :mad:

Looks like you are pretty much alone on this one pal. Steam is fine ... what is your reason for not wanting Epic to use Steam to make more money and raise interest in the game ... increasing online the amount of users gaming online? Especially since you still have the option to purchase it separately.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
What is the big deal about UT3 being available on Steam? Is this something that really only MP online players should be excited about? I have Steam and have had it since HL2 but I just don't see the amazing thing about this. You don't even need to have the DVD in the tray to play the game after you install it so I really don't understand all this enthusiasm ... and I am not trying to dampen it ... I just want in on the party so to speak, so that I can use Steam more effectively. I don't dislike Steam so don't get me wrong. I have Lost Planet as well as EP1, EP2, SiN 1, and the lost coast level and I will probably get the PC verison of Bioshock at some point just to check out the graphics on the PC with DX10.

If you buy games over Steam (or Steam magically decides to add Unreal CD-Key support), you can download and play your games from any computer using your Steam account.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
If you buy games over Steam (or Steam magically decides to add Unreal CD-Key support), you can download and play your games from any computer using your Steam account.

Oh I guess that is kind of cool ... although it doesn't affect me since I will only game on my PC because I only play on beefy systems so I can max the settings on my games. Now if I were a competitive gamer who just cared about fps and not graphics then I could see how this would be a cool thing, since the PC wouldn't really need to be so specialized.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
I can't seem to decide what I want to do. One one hand that is a FABULOUS deal seeing I don't have UT3 or Unreal 2 yet....but on the other hand it is nice to have the disks both for backup and so I can display them on my uber cool cd wallpaper...

...hmmm

Someone convince me one way or another lol.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
I know many of you hated this feature when Half Life 2 was released but EPIC should really consider online activation through Steam if that is available to them there. UT3 is multiplayer focused anyway and Gears of War for PC requires a Windows Live ID I think it was called. So all their recently released titles are woven into being online heavily. Well thats my reasoning behind it.

Although Half Life 2 was pirated it was not pirated nearly as much as other games due to the online activation. EPIC should recognize this and this may help EPIC to see the PC as a viable gaming platform for them again... $$$ =D Steam will help sales for their games which is why I think they got consolitis. Maybe then we wouldn't get rushed games from EPIC and they can stop their complaining and deliver us a good title.

I also think its sad to see Unreal Engine 4 targeting consoles and the new features in Unreal Engine 3 only showing up on console for Gears 2. That tech should be available where it belongs. On PC. Thats my thoughts on it. Good move by EPIC.

Hey Hourences, loved your book! The Hows and Whys of Level Design. Lots of, Oh sh** I never realized that, moments. Good stuff.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Well since Gears is for all intents and purposes a 360 game and it has achievements which are an integral part of XBL and exclusive to it as well it wouldn't be possible to use any other online gaming service. So it seems as if GFW games can use other online net services because Lost Planet and Crysis are both GFW (Games for Windows) and neither are XBL games ... but these games don't have achievements.

If a game is going to have achievements like its 360 counterpart (GFW PC only games that are not on the 360 don't have achievements as far as I know) then it has no choice but to use XBL. But since UT3 does not have achievements for whatever reason (most likely because there is no 360 version first; however Lost Planet shows that even when there is a 360 version a company may not have achievements ... but I really thought this was part of being a GFW game) so maybe its something they could think about in future revisions (though they may have a lengthy contract with GS).

Last edited:

Chandler

Self Unemployed
Jan 20, 2008
[GU]elmur_fud;2101180 said:
If this was 2004, you might find sympathy, but it's 2008.
Get with the times already.