Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Do you have a link to the information regarding the "millions" of Steam users?
I would like to see how many people do use Steam.
Not specifically buy stuff off it -- but simply accounts, well we know its more than the number of people, at least, who own HalfLife2.

That's already over a few million.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
I'm actually hoping that this will strengthen Epic in the direction of PC gaming, and give them things to think about while developing Unreal Engine 4. Maybe some more popularity and a cool download service is all they need to change their direction.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Wow, thank you Epic.

I brought my game at full retail price in the US, import the **** to my country and now comes out with all the other games via Steam and is cheaper.

o/\o

You might as well complain that all the games you bought 5 years ago are cheaper and how come you had to pay 50$ when they came out.

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
Do you have a link to the information regarding the "millions" of Steam users?
I would like to see how many people do use Steam.

15 million accounts

More than 1.2 million users logged in right this second

People who only bought one game and haven't used it since, you say? "year-over-year sales growth of 158% through the holiday season."

Are a lot of those people those who stay logged in 24/7? Sure. But of the 50+ active Steam users on my friends list, most of which who are hardcore PC gamers, a good 50% of them are *NOT* logged in all the time.

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
I wouldn't go that far. While there are obvious millions upon millions of active users, the link on the Steam web site only says "15 million accounts". They don't say they're all active accounts.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If Steam somehow shuts down, Valve has already said they'll distribute a utility to allow people to play without Steam.
Easy promise to make, potentially hard to deliver.

If Steam shuts down as the result of (say) Valve entering bankruptcy (I can't see any other even remotely likely reasons) then the promise is worthless. The Steam user base is an asset of the company and at best, Steam users would join other creditors in attempting to get their money back or hope that the service could be sold as a going concern (and that is assuming that the "promise" is actually part of the Ts&Cs and not some PR vapourware).

For the record, "Valve entering bankruptcy" is an example and not a prediction.:) I have no reason to suppose that there is any imminent danger of such an event.

Lee3dee

I make stuff go BOOM!
Dec 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I just hope that UT3 going on steam will generate more people to play online because at the moment is a very lonely place. UT2004 has more populated servers than UT3 :(

soto

Feb 2, 2008
It seems like many are against Epic Games putting UT3 and what not on steam. If you people out their don't like steam, oh well don't use it. Epic can do what they want with their game, so why not just let them, and deal with it. No need to argue between people who trust Steam or why you should hate it.

I hear about all these privacy issues. Its annoying to me to listen to people innocently claiming privacy issues with windows and programs when it really does not need to be said at all since this community has nothing to do with that.. If your that worried about privacy, don't do things on the computer that could reveal any information about you to people over the internet. Not using the computer for storing personal information that people could use sounds like the perfect fix to this problem.

:eek::eek::)

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
As long as steam is completely optional (that includes finding games online) I don't care. The moment it switches to mandatory that changes. So UT3 has no activation and steam is optional. Great. Considering this move, how likely will that be the case for future games from Epic? Yeah, FANTASTIC news.

Also it looks like bashing people who don't like the online control mechanism Steam THE FUTURE OF GAMING is the new hip thing to do. Awesome. I like where this world is headed to.

IAWTP, as they say (err, is that common on the BU forums? Man, I've been around since UT but I only seem to interact on the forums here in tiny spikes; I Agree With This Post is what I mean).

As an alternate via-download install method, I know when I installed ET:QW I only used my DVD because it would be faster; if at some point I lose my DVD but I still have my CD key written down somewhere, I can just use the -nomedia torrent and then the files online as torrents or on iD's FTP to install from. Yeah, that's right, to distribute the media for the games they use torrents, and Steam is considered the future of gaming? Also worth noting that my login is tied to my key in the sense that I can log into my account using anyone's copy of ET:QW, I can just add my account to their account list as simply as typing in my username and password. And hey, then the stats are all recorded (link). See, I think THAT is far more what the future of online gaming and distribution should be like. And that's why I hate Steam, it offers instead a needlessly restrictive model (and bonus anti-points from my perspective for not officially running on Linux, although one can use Wine pretty easily; hell, Portal even works without any fiddling, and really, what other Valve game is worth playing ;) ).

That being said it's worth reiterating that I'm part of the faction here that strongly dislikes Steam, is nonetheless fairly positive about this development, but would run far away if Steam became the only distribution method for future games from Epic (personally I love the "hard copy, but you don't need the hard copy" system of games like ET:QW).

Maximus2003

Mar 25, 2003
South Africa
I think it's a great deal and I do hope it brings in a few extra players.

I've had no problems with Steam so being able to buy the game through Steam is great news. I've been missing UT99 also, and its cheap so I'll definitely get that.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
The "Noob" part of your nick is well described in your post... ...no, I am not talking about the HL-kiddie part.
Lemme guess... cause i insulted your beloved piece of crap you got from epic in november? Sorry if the truth hurt you that badly... Oh wait, no i'm not.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Lemme guess... cause i insulted your beloved piece of crap you got from epic in november? Sorry if the truth hurt you that badly... Oh wait, no i'm not.

Well, I uninstalled UT3 weeks (months?) ago, because I absolutely do not like it (except parts of the infantry-gametypes gameplay).

EDIT: I think I installed late 2007, very early 2008.

Now, guess again.

Last edited: