Do you get worse in UT2004 after playing UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
Then you should watch Lotus play in 2kx. He is totally aggressive and nearly beat even GitzZz once(lost because GitzZz is a better player regardless of style and pwned everyone anyways.)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
There are certainly exceptions. ScrMz is/was a fantastic aggressive 1v1 player, but very few people can pull that off in UT2004. It's much harder to play in such a manner and do so effectively, so hats off to those who did/do.

I guess you could say UT3 rewards sloppy aggression in a manner that UT2004 can't. :)

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I guess you could say UT3 rewards sloppy aggression in a manner that UT2004 can't. :)

I would have to 180 disagree with that. I DO believe that it seems that way from an FFA perspective...we have a glut of small/medium UT3 DM maps being run on servers with player counts WAY too high. But to really call ANY aspect of UT3 reward for sloppy agression from 2k3/4 alt Flak hell combined with primary shock/LG hell, but just from a long term low-mid teir player perspective, it just doesn't seem to hold true.

What I've found in 1 v 1 and small DM matches in UT3 is that patience and conservative play still seemed to dictate the flow of a DM. Play a series of 1 on 1s in UT3 and I don't ever see "sloppy" agression being advantageus other than to up your own death count.

The one exception I guess to be fair is the overpowered alt-shock...which you can view as spammy in the sense alt flak was in 2kX or more of a pretty versatile defensive weapon.

The problem with 2kX was that hit scan was SO dominant that when faced ultra accurate players that you almost NO chance of competing no matter how skilled you were in with any other style of game play. Nothing could counter primary shock/LG abuse in 2k4 from highly accurate players with any consistent results.

And having been around WAY too long, the first year of 2k3/2k4 all the long term players bitched about was how the completely innacurate the LG and other Hitscans were from a standpoint of crosshairs versus shots landing. The game LITERALLY evolved from unending bitching about how random spammy play had overtaken accuracy and style into a game in the last year or two was simply a hitscan domination when playing with any group of experienced players.

Ultimately, I think all it proves is that what UT3 is perceived as now from a weapons play perspective is probably NOTHING like what it's eventual legacy will be.

Now before the "clever" haters decide to chime in with all their cute crap there...the community is going to stay small...I think that's a given, but ultimately the longevity is there with this game and there is obviously a core of players that are going to stick for a while. Keeping in mind that we still have people extolling the virtues of games that you could never find more than a half dozen populated servers of all gametypes on even at their peak of popularity,.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Naturally, any UT game is more defensive than offensive. That's what happens when backing away and moving forward happen at the same speed. While you're moving towards a guy, his shots come at you twice as fast, while your shots come at him twice as slowly. UT will never be truly aggressive like Quake because of the movement.

But, as you just mentioned, between flak alt-fire, hitscan, and shield gun, UT2004 doesn't afford much to aggressive players. The slowness of the projectiles only screws with this even further. However, that stuff has changed quite a bit in UT3. Rockets and flak are fast and do insane damage, and it seems like the flak alt-fire is designed with aggression in mind given that it shoots a lot further in comparison to UT2004. Even the shock core's new speed promotes more aggression because with a faster speed it's easier to overshoot combos on incoming enemies.

I've played a fair few UT3 1v1s but haven't found them fun. I was quite surprised to see how slowly they played out, because with the absence of the shield gun I was expecting this insanely fast and fun spawn rape festival of awesomeness. To see that UT3 1v1 was not awesome left me very disappointed. I've always tended to play more aggressively in UT2004 than I should have by moving forward and shooting while everyone else seemed fine with throwing up their shield gun and backing around a corner, so not a whole lot changed for me. Except for the fact that I now have weapons that feel inconsistent and a movement system that leaves me with no options. Kewl!

I don't think you can argue that UT3 isn't more aggressive than UT2004. As I said, every UT game is defensive in its own right and they always will be. If you negate that stuff since it's always true, UT3's aggression factor far outweighs that of UT2004.

If you were calling me a low/low-mid player, I consider those fighting words. We might have to throwdown in UT2004. I predict 20-0 with me victorious! I hardly even know UT3's maps, so that wouldn't work too well. :p

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
I do find that I play 2K4 better if I have been doing invasion UT3. You have to pick up the little bots quickly and the are hard to hit. After doing invasion for awhile I think my eyes just pick up movement quicker. But I'm a pretty mediocre 2K4 player and actually do much better with UT3.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
this thread prompted me to fire up 2k4...

hurrah for SG primary, slope-dodging, falling-dodging & generally not feeling crippled
hurrah for the lightning gun, throw weapon & my shots actually going where i've aimed
hurrah for mid-air Alt Bio instakills & Flak secondary trajectory
hurrah for the x-loc not running out & the camera view toggle

I could go on...

bah

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I could go on...

-hurrah for zooming and 1st person in vehicles
-hurrah for being able to aim at ground with Raptor and Cicada
-hurrah for a proper SPMA (boo for keybased camera-aiming though)
-hurrah for bolas (boo for Scorp not heavy and fast anough though)
-hurrah for proper Hellbender/Scorpion steering
-hurrah for Hellbender twinbeams
-hurrah for useful Paladin shield
-hurrah for no Orb in ONS
-hurrah for no unlinked support nodes
-hurrah for nodeteleporting instead of running across half the map to the next teleporter
-hurrah for OWN AVRiL rockets
-hurrah for better Cicada rockets

I also could list a few more minor things in favour of UT3 and UT2004

In conclusion: I don't get worse after playing UT3. Too many things I like in UT2004 that aren't in UT3 compared to the number of things I prefer in UT3. I really tried to like WAR and said to myself that it is different... ...it didn't work... ...going back to UT2k4 felt like "being" free again without so many restrictions.

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
why did they disable the nodeteleporting? Why not have both new and old ways of teleport?

I was watching a warfare match from Euro-old-time-ons players, and it was funny to see them going onto the node, stand for a sec then jump around to find the "correct" teleport.

I do that all the time too ahahahahah.

From what I have read so far, it seems I am the only-one getting worse, but it could be because I play primarily ons. In a TAM I played yesterday I was the same ( bottom of the score board :D )

Last edited:

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
why did they disable the nodeteleporting? Why not have both new and old ways of teleport?

I was watching a warfare match from Euro-old-time-ons players, and it was funny to see them going onto the node, stand for a sec then jump around to find the "correct" teleport.

I do that all the time too ahahahahah.

From what I have read so far, it seems I am the only-one getting worse, but it could be because I play primarily ons. In a TAM I played yesterday I was the same ( bottom of the score board :D )

I assume you are SD kafros (cannot remember the correct brackets around the clantag)?

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Well I just played some UT2K4 and it looks as if my skills are coming back back to inhuman level against malcolm level bots ... not improving really in UT3 (still on experienced/skilled depending on gametype and mood) ... not just yet ... that is going to take time.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I think there's going to be gap here that never gets crossed. If you preferred at 2k4 style 1 on 1 to UT99, then I don't think you're ever going to find what you're looking for in UT3 regardless of how many patches may come. UT3 1 on 1 plays out a very very much like UT99 1 on 1.

Personally, since UT3 has arrived, I can see myself still going to back to revisit UT99 once in a while...since I never stopped all the way through the 2kX era. But it wouldn't surprise me if I end up never booting 2k4 ever again.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
no kiddin, i tried to fire it up a month before 3 released (hadn't played in a couple years), and was dominated by hitscanners. I couldn't even get a friggin weapon it was so bad. I haven't started it since.

UT3 on the other hand, I play as much as I can (though I spend most of my time mapping/learning). It's hard to say how it has affected my skill, cause I went a long time without playing FPS at all. UT99 rocked my socks, 2kx alienated me, UT3 is great (but could be better), and when they release the content packs more ppl will hopefully play. We also have to wait for more ppl to get systems that can run it well.

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
I actually got a little bit better with nw in ut2004 by playing ut3. But besides that I have a real problem here. I am addicted to instagib, but... ut3's ictf rlly sux IMHO, this leaves me going back to ut2004 for my ictf needs :(. Anyway nw is much more fun and frantic then it was in ut2004 :)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I still need to get the feel of UT3 and then go back to UT2004 before I answer the original thread question, but I can tell you right now after only playing 7-8 matches of UT3 I don't like the nerfed weapons. The RL, FC, Shock and Sniper all seem to not fire as quickly and the response times have decreased. It probably won't be that much of a deal when I get used to it, but only time will tell. Also, in response to an earlier comment, I think you get to practice spam weapons more in UT2004. I guess since I'm used to UT2004 (and UT for that matter), I'm just more comfortable with them because I know what to expect. Let's see what UT3 is like after Patch2 and Patch3.:)