Do you get worse in UT2004 after playing UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
What I don't get is the fact that I can hardly miss in UT2004 online with hitscans, but UT3 is just another story. Offline I didn't seemed to have any issue though.

Yawn.
I would guess its FPS related issue. With todays PCs ut2k4 having 85fps everywhere, and UT3 dropping in infights to how low? dont know the specs, but it would not be unusual if its dropping to 40-50fps, which has a significant impact on aim. Ever tried to play those FPS-style maps with 100fps+?

Or maybe you used to play on 50+ tickrate servers, which makes everything more fluid. And now are playing on 30.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
All DM maps are locked at 60 FPS on my PC. It's not a FPS issue. I know how FPS affects aim, I just have to turn crysis on and we'll be into that problem unless I turn everything to medium.

I don't know about tickrates. But I bet that they are low.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
hehe, but seriously 60fps on Windows does not necessarily mean youre getting 60fps good for aiming. 90fps@500ms+30fps@500ms=60fps too. And the aim will suck half of all the time.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
They're adjustments.

But yea -- I found that UT2004/99 *seriously* helped me with a lot of games like Battlefield. In (I believe) every ladder match I played in a clan I had a commendation from the clan for high KDR, high kill count, whatever.

For crap's sakes I killed people laying down carrying belt-fed 200 round machine guns from ~10 feet away bunnyhopping like an autistic oil tycoon popping my pistol 4 times in the dude's head.

Yea -- UT99/2k4 does *seriously* help with aim. That being said -- I did jump back to UT2k4 for a bit {from UT3} and I noticed it did hurt me quite a bit.

Basically -- your internal clock is all screwed up. As you get good at something, you'll get an instinct to know roughly how long it takes to do something. When you screw with that (by changing games or something) you'll tend to feel like you "got worse" at something (can't lead, aim, whatever). You just need to get readjusted to the timings.

Also something's really screwie with the Hitscan in UT3...

Same for me. Playing lots of UT has made all the other more "realistic" games ive played much easier. I guess because in UT your also always moving, and you get a good sense of where the center of the screen is for projectile weapons, therefore when playing BF2 and COD4 having a crosshair get bigger and disappear when running is not much of a problem.

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
I imagine, playing UT3 would make you better at spam weapons. UT2004 simply had very little chance to practice spam, cause they always counter with hitscan, so you'd have to use it yourself, whether you wanted to or not.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I imagine, playing UT3 would make you better at spam weapons. UT2004 simply had very little chance to practice spam, cause they always counter with hitscan, so you'd have to use it yourself, whether you wanted to or not.
Yeah... I found myself spamming rockets when I went back to 2k4... and we all know how well that flies.

ONe.21JiggaH4X

Jan 19, 2008
Yeah i've gotten pretty much fed up with instagib, even tho that's been the definition of Unreal Tournament for my last 5 years of play. 1 of every 10 shots which accurately intersect an enemy (on my screen at least, but what the **** else should I use to determine what's going on in the game?) will actuallly kill, and half the kills I do make are with very significant misses above, infront, behind or below my target. This is with 28 ping. That randomness is pure bull****.
But the main topic: I can't stand the perma-low grav feel of 2k4 vs ut3, and the aerobatics I used to be so leet at have been replaced by ut3 moves. It's too different, and UT has a new definition now.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
nvm..thought u were takling about me!
and whats with this option to see what was edited, defeats the whole purpose lo.. anyways continue.

Last edited:

Gryph

trap
Nov 29, 2004
not mold factory
Here nth-ing the screwy hitscan in UT3. I'm not bad with the shock in 2k4 and annoying as hell with the 2k4 Hellbender turret, but I can't aim either for the life of me in UT3.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
It seems that if I play both games I am doing **** in both :D

I am trying to remember if I had the same prob when I was playing UT2003 and UT99 in parallel. Memory refuses to cooperate :-(

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Hitscan in UT3 is almost useless.
Um...no. Hitscan is still useful. Its just not overpowered to the point where all other weapons were useless, the way it was in 2k4.
os][ris;2069791 said:
whats ut2004?
You are a very wise man os][ris. The topic should be called "Why the hell would you go back to UTpewk4 after playing UT3?"

UT2k4 is hitscan

Fixed.

Of the two, I can easily say UT3 is the better game. While UT2k4 has a better interface/browser what have you, UT3 plays better.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Man as much may be wrong with this game there is soooo much that is right I just don't get folks. I have it for both platforms and will have it for the 360 when that comes out. I play this game every day for hours and hours. I may have some issues but overall I am a junkie when it comes to Unreal. :D

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
@OP: I get better. The weapons feel at least twice as consistent in UT2004, so hitting no longer feels like luck and instead like things are working as they should be. Also, the input system of UT3 feels f**ked up for some reason and no amount of tweaking will make it feel as solid as UT2004. D:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Half the hitscan shots I take in UT3 leave me thinking "I hit that?" and vise versa. I find it hard to believe it's the game, but then I find it hard to believe I'm THAT much worse at hitscan in a different game... Ping the same, both games never lower than 80fps - what gives?

FYI I just installed 2k4 again 3 days ago, and haven't looked at UT3 since then. I can find the game I want, spec the game I want - AND, for some godforsaken reason, my hitscan actually works.:rolleyes:

Bring on 1.02 for UT3.:D

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I don't play 2k4 anymore, generally. I still have it installed, and probably always will, but UT3 is a step back to the right direction - the fast, frenzied, sunshine-rockets-up-you-ass feel that the original UT was. Which suits my play style a LOT better - in UT3, aggression is good, in 2kx, aggression is suicide.

Ergo, I probably don't care how much my 2k4 skill suffers. :p