DM-Imago

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fragswill

Charismatic Leader
Mar 21, 2000
Sweden
When i hear UT + high poly i don't think of good looks, i think of lag. Most UT maps with high poly counts don't have a higher detail level, they're just too open.

MoxNix

Dec 2, 2001
Visit site
Heh, I thought @kuma was joking.... Either that or crazy. :)

And yes, I have played the map. Way too many distanceviewtriggers, I'd say. Best advice I can give to anyone trying Imago with 5 godlike bots is stay away from the armor... In fact stay out of the room the armor is in alltogether, there's something like 30 distanceviewtriggers, mostly in, or in view from that room. I actually lost until I figured that out. Then I played it again and went godlike on them. :)

There are distanceviewtriggers on the amp, and a trap too, that's another very dangerous spot. The 2 ramps across the pit with ripper and bladehoppers on them are also very dangerous places with distanceview triggers on them. The shield, on the other hand, is quite safe to grab, bots hardly ever make it that high and they don't hang around the triggers attached to the distanceview trigger on it... unlike the ones on the armor. There are 3 distanceviewtriggers on the armor and the bots do hang hang around the attached triggers... In fact they practically camp the armor triggers. Entering that room is tantamount to suicide, you'll have 3 or 4 bots all taking long range potshots at you pretty much the very second you enter it.

I have two problems with distanceviewtriggers.

1) Bots notice you way too quickly sometimes, especially when there are an awfull lot of triggers. It's kind of silly when you walk into a room and all the bots immediately stop shooting at each other and start taking long pot shots at you instead.

2) Just the opposite... Bots will be fighting you and then suddenly ignore you when another bot triggers a distanceview a long ways off. As long as you stay away from the triggers yourself, this makes them fight even stupider than usual.

As for going godlike on godlikes on this map, it's easy. Just grab the snipe and hang around the other big room, between shield and rocket launcher and on the side away from the amp. The bots don't enter that room much, except on thier way to other room and when the amp respawns. The only distanceviewtriggers are near the amp and even when a bot does start shooting at you, chances are good another bot will trigger a distanceview for him soon. He'll then ignore you and start shooting at the other bot instead.

BTW, the botpathing, particularly on the ramps and ledges isn't the greatest. Paths all go straight down the center. Bots will rarely take a shortcut by jumping down, they'll usually take the long way around instead. There are few, if any jumpspots up to the ledges too, so they won't jump up after you even if they do have jumpboots, which they usually don't since the boots are up high.

I really liked the way you used triggers to prevent access to the roof vents. I'm going to have to remember that trick. Oh, I might change my mind about playing this map much yet. It just might make a good 1v1 practice map. I'm thinking a godlike bot with accuracy and alertness cranked up combined with all those distanceviewtriggers should be good practice for fighting snipers.

Regards, MoxNix

Last edited:
Yeah, Ive never been the best botpather, it all depends on how well you deal with them;)

personally, i made the map with Multiplayer as the priority, it's a much different experience when you play 2 or 3 other players in Imago who know the map as well as you do. I suggest you try it then.

MoxNix

Dec 2, 2001
Visit site
Oh yeah, against human players, I would frequent the armor room far more often. With 100 armor and boots, I'll happily chase after the guy with shield and amp... Unless he's really good. :)

Hmm... I could be wrong, but seems to me that you might have the distanceviewtriggers and triggers backwards. IIRC, the trigger is the one that gets shot at. Unless I've got that wrong, you have it setup so the entrances to that room (which also happen to be likely sniping spots) are immediately noticed by bots scattered all over the map. Same with the amp, shield and armor, a bot at those items will notice a bot somewhere else immediately instead of the other way around. Was that your intention? Pretty devious if it was. :)

Regards, MoxNix

Last edited:

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
High poly maps

Lower fps - more time to enjoy the eyecandy of high poly maps.

Yes some mappers try everything to make high poly maps out of their poor low poly maps. Adding invisible nonsolids here and there. But you see it right from the start.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Re: High poly maps

Originally posted by jreister
Yes some mappers try everything to make high poly maps out of their poor low poly maps. Adding invisible nonsolids here and there. But you see it right from the start.

LOL, add a 32 sided sphere, non-solid, bInvisible=True in every corner of your map just to mess with Polycounters. QUOTE "Dahm, at 1000+ polys this map ran like greased pig through the kitchen" /QUOTE.

In any case, I dont consider DM-Imago a high poly map, at least not High poly enough to be a cpu killer. If thats what your looking for, I suggest DM-TimeCrash:)

Really, the distance triggers made the map more challenging on bot mode, otherwise they'd be too easy.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
I've played Imago with different number of bots, your estimate of 2-6 seems spot on. The distance view triggers for the the AI didn't really hinder my dominance over the bots.
Being able to snag the power ups in a systematic way (Armor, T/L up and run across for the SB and into the 8ball room finishing up with the Thigh Pads) made life easy to keep while the bots focused on the U-DamageAmp and Flak Cannon.
Woulda been nice if the trap spinger were also tripped by shooting it, being close/fast enough or lucky (upstairs) enough was rarely an occurance.
More to come....

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
My bad aim...
They are shootable!
Gives a real fast game, semi dark in spots (giving the bots the advantage) and with weps NOT on stay comfortable upto 4 players. Me and 2 bots felt good giving some hunt and gather time. Got alittle PO'd at falling thru the planks in the corner of that one room and the braces hanging me up on the ground floor. I still haven't gotten a bot in the trap cause of the short time one needs to grab the U-damage and get past the bars, likewise they've never gotten me.
Not alot of lateral space making the 8ball seriously hard to dodge. The flak not so much with enough corners to jump behind, just not the walls in the sauna and ducts leading to the 8ball room (flak all the way there baby)
Some really nice decorations (eye-candy) and trim.
The dripping, oozing blood from the chianed man is well done amd the little details like the broken glass and pools (splash,splash) are cool. Dunno about the displaced tiles (overdone) and numerous crates. Along with the under stair lighting gets very Jerramie in spots.
A very well made map, a definate addition to the HotList when NC gets under way again.
Good work MrProphet ! Definately worthy of a download.
About polys... sub 300 for the most part, nothing to worry the average rig nowadays only a slight discomfort to online gamers.