DM-Imago

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
well perhaps some of you aren't up to the challenge of high poly mapping - there are some upcoming maps for UT that own anything seen in in the U2 screenshots and these are made by mappers who know how to map 'on the edge'

IMO legend is mad not to include these user maps in their game, you'll know what I mean when you see them (we're talking PERFECT curves and super high poly terra-edit terrain here)

Nali city probably wont understand the genius behind these levels, they've marked down maps in the past that didnt meet some pissy little 'polygon' criteria of theirs, it's obvious they dont recognize genius when they see it as some maps made by great visionaries in the past were given low scores... but play those Stunningly beautiful maps with their 400+ polycounts on an average PC today and you can see how far ahead of their time those mappers were!

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
What was it called? Some principle there... read about it in an interview... nevermind. I totally agree. Polycount limits are just temporary, until we all get PC with 537 THz CPU... No seriously: Itsn't it allways just a matter of time?

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
Top mappers

Akuma!

You´re talking about Hagmans upcoming map?
Rumors are he is preparing a 1on1 Assault mappack which puts the UT-engine to the edge.

Can´t wait that long......

Play som Sci...][ until it will be released (Part 2 is out, limited edition! for registered fileplanet users only!)

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
/me wonders if Akuma is speaking of DM-Falkenstien???
Prolly in the same review is mention of beuty if any exsists, butt face it @kumen, there are high poly maps that look like feces!
Poly count mainly relates to Playability, we got a whole schema to cover other things buddy :)
If I have any frame rate issues they will be mentioned in the review.
Oh yea, the human eye sees at aproximitaly 60 FPS. Motion pictures shown at 60 FPS can actually induce motion sickness because the normal "this ain't real" tweening the brain does gets turned off. Anything over 60 is a waste and the HP should be used to increase detail levels. An easy proof is to set your refresh rate of your monitor to 60 and look at it in your perifrial vision (corner of your eye while looking elsewhere), you should see a noticable strobe. The other proof is the old stage coach wheel trick where at certain revs per minute (close multiples of 60) the eye actually precieves the wheel to be spinning backwards, and that's under daylight not artificial lighting.
Some ppl do see at different fps, so the real question should be is :
"What's your refresh rate?"

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Twrecks, you obviously dont get it

more polys = better map

it's simple, and I think NC should take it into account when reviewing levels. It's crazy to deduct points if the mapper is taking advantage of the raw speed and beauty of the UT engine!

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
I hope you'll be revising all your past reviews that marked down truely great maps for silly little things like 'lag'?

Some mappers are so far above you NC review monkeys that it's embarassing to read your clumsy attempts at explaining their levels.

Art is art and you shouldn't be afraid to give '10s' to maps that bring a new dimension to the UT experience, ignore the peanut gallery and go with your heart.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
You're mistaken

I do get it.
The fact is we review maps based on some simple criteria.
1. what is considered playable by the average downloader.
2. looks.
everything else is masked by specific properties: lighting, architecture etc...
Polys count for very little, but if they adversly effect playability that needs to be taken in affect.
I'm all for higher poly maps, maps that use those extra polys wisely and to some benifit (eyecandy!)
Those mappers that throw dynamic lighing on those polys aren't "good mappers", because they are not mapping for gamers but their own pleasure. Extra polys for curved surfaces can still look like garbage if good texturing isn't used as well.
Maybe when the new engine gets released, polys won't be such an issue, for now they are.
I agree, higher poly maps can be very stunning, however newbie maps that have 64 sided columns and ugly spiral stairs don't get a thumbs up because they (the mapper) are using more polys. They still suck. Poly count limits have increased from 170 to 400 per the Cliffmiester, and I think NC has acknowledged this to a point. Ignoring things like FPS, occlusion and poly count would be stupid. They are tools to better examine performance. Most ppl do play maps offline, but I believe the goal here is for online playability and the shear enjoyment a map can bring. Realism must take a backseat until the poly barrier can be broken, however there are lots of maps that achieve that suspense of belief without sacraficing playability. If someone wants to make a "Showcase map", it will be scored to the same scale as playable maps.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Originally posted by @kuma
Art is art and you shouldn't be afraid to give '10s' to maps that bring a new dimension to the UT experience, ignore the peanut gallery and go with your heart.

*cough*Scimitar*cough*

gimme a break Akky, you are in the peanut gallery

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Poly count limits have increased from 170 to 400 per the Cliffmiester, and I think NC has acknowledged this to a point.

well, thats a start

I suggest you include that in the 'NC charter', and let people know that low poly maps will no longer be over-rated as they have in the past.

*cough*Scimitar*cough*

Scmitar was more of a hardcore deathmatch experience than a pure eyecandy feast, it was a great map in it's time but it wouldn't get any more than a 8.5 if it was reviewed today

MoxNix

Dec 2, 2001
Visit site
@kuma, you must be joking.

400 poly maps are not at all enjoyable to play. They may look pretty, they may in some cases even be considered works of art, but they most definately are not fun to play. I have an Athlon XP 1800 with 512M DDR and a GF2 GTS 64M DDR. This system is much faster than what the vast majority of players have. 400 poly maps play way too choppy to be enjoyable for me (and everyone I know says pretty much the same thing). If they play poorly for those of us with fast rigs, just image how bad they are for people with only an average rig. U2 or Warfare may have a faster engine and be another story but those games are not out yet.

Your comments about Nali City overrating low poly maps and underratting high poly maps are completely out to lunch too. If anything, it's exactly the opposite, high poly maps are overrated if they look pretty, even though they play like ****.

Regards, MoxNix

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
to be fair I have seen all these 'arguments' used for real over the last couple of days.

The mind boggles

what's left of it, anyway.

you'd think so, wouldnt you? :)

MrFawn

Jan 25, 2000
Norway
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by MoxNix

400 poly maps are not at all enjoyable to play. They may look pretty, they may in some cases even be considered works of art, but they most definately are not fun to play. I have an Athlon XP 1800 with 512M DDR and a GF2 GTS 64M DDR. This system is much faster than what the vast majority of players have. 400 poly maps play way too choppy to be enjoyable for me (and everyone I know says pretty much the same thing). If they play poorly for those of us with fast rigs, just image how bad they are for people with only an average rig. U2 or Warfare may have a faster engine and be another story but those games are not out yet.

Your comments about Nali City overrating low poly maps and underratting high poly maps are completely out to lunch too. If anything, it's exactly the opposite, high poly maps are overrated if they look pretty, even though they play like ****.

Regards, MoxNix

words