ATTN Mods: Banning practices

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Ok, this is sure to be a flame war, but I like the BU forums for the most part, and would hate to stop coming here because of the proliferation of trolls.

There are a number of ppl who are posting on this forum (specifically the UT3 section) who are only talking negative about the game, and some of whom don't even own a copy and are only parroting what they see others say. The have contributed NOTHING of value to any discussion, and are typically seen telling ppl to not get the game because it "sucks so bad" (even the ones who haven't even bought it themselves).

If you wish your forums to continue in their degeneration, please let me know now and I will stop visiting. Otherwise, please start banning some of these ppl as they are incapable of adding anything worthwhile to ANY conversation about UT3.

If possible, it would be best to just block them from the UT3 section of the forum, and let them continue with 2kX. I'm not trying to completely ban them, just to keep them out of the UT3 forum, as they certainly have no right to be there at this point (all horses are now dead and throughly beaten).

Thoughts? I'm sure i'm not the only one getting really fed up with this.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
BuF admins tend to be pretty lenient when it comes to banning ppl, though they are not wussies and ban ppl who really deserve it... i wouldnt mind if they were tougher either but its their house. i cant count how many times i have written long replies to trolls and other various llamas only to delete them before posting because i realize its a waste of time and wishing that someone would just ban the offending slob, but they usually survive by the good graces of the nice guys here at BuF and thats okay, cause BuF is here to stay and they will eventually dry up and blow away like the waste of space that they are... :)

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
@hal
You da man :D

I just saw on the complaint thread a guy who posted asking about the game cause he was thinking about buying it. He said he had played the demo and really liked it and was wondering if he should go ahead and get the game itself (since seeing all the negative comments made him question whether he should). There was one post in reply to his that really got my goat though. He was essentially saying how much he hated the game, and how horrible it was.... and then in the next sentence he said "Well, good thing i haven't bought the game yet".

I mean seriously dude, that is just f-ed up. The guy posted later and was like "Oh, i guess i won't get it then". There is one less player online because of some douche who hasn't even gotten the game himself trolling on your forums. This leads to the biggest complaint everyone has, ppl not playing.

I can deal with constructive criticism (i remember when you first posted that hal, and i loved you for it), and generally don't have a problem with people expressing opinions. But here are people trying to kill the friggin game.

Think about it, how many potential players have we lost because of these turds? They largely contribute nothing, and comments are along the lines of "teh game sux so bad, i wish i could speeell, wah i want 2k4 back, oh, and i don't even own the game".

Now if they could act like at least with some semblance of being an adult, they would be constructive, and phrase answers to questions about the game like "You know, i didn't like it, but there are a lot of people who have. Here is what I didn't like, etc". Instead of the typical "This game is so horrible, get TF2 or CoD4 instead". Heck, there are even people recommending Crysis over UT3.

I just don't want to see BuF turn into a troll haven like it seems to be lately.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Lets just get some high profile mods in there to wag their e-peens in people's faces.

That'll be all it'll take.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
The admin/moderator team really do take these threads and post seriously. We even have discussions about them. There are many, many posts that pi$$ us off to no end. With that said, people are right to there opinions. They are free to voice those opinions as long as they are done within the confines of the forum rules and with respect to other members.

Like was said, if someone's posts anger you, put them on ignore. If you think their posts go too far, then report the post (the "!" button on each thread). Every reported post goes to to the Admin/Mods forums for us to review. If we feel action needs to be taken, we will.

Yes, we get tired of all the negativity, hence why threads like the one hal posted get made. We just need to make sure we're not disciplining someone just because their views may differ from ours.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
man, i tried to look up the post to report it, but i can't find it. i found the post where i quoted him and replied, but not his post.

DRATS, FOILED AGAIN!!!!

BTW, i just wanted to say you Mods rock overall. Very kewl ppl.

*Disclaimer*
this thread was never meant as an insult to you guys, and i'm sorry if it came across that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Reporting offedning posts is the best way to get us to take notice. We are pretty lenient on the forums mostly because we want people to feel like they are free to express their opinions, but people trolling every thread in any forum with the same diarrhea is not beneficial to anyone. We encourage everyone to click the report post button when this is happening. The most important thing this does is tell us that our USERS are getting annoyed by these things. When that is happening, we feel a lot more justified taking action.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The admin/moderator team really do take these threads and post seriously. We even have discussions about them. There are many, many posts that pi$$ us off to no end. With that said, people are right to there opinions. They are free to voice those opinions as long as they are done within the confines of the forum rules and with respect to other members.

Like was said, if someone's posts anger you, put them on ignore. If you think their posts go too far, then report the post (the "!" button on each thread). Every reported post goes to to the Admin/Mods forums for us to review. If we feel action needs to be taken, we will.

Yes, we get tired of all the negativity, hence why threads like the one hal posted get made. We just need to make sure we're not disciplining someone just because their views may differ from ours.

The renetard took the words out of my mouth. Buf really is a nice place to hang out. The one thing I'm most allergic to is the 1337ist attitude some people have displayed to "less skilled players."

Remember that you're part of a diverse community, not a secluded-selective one.

No, it can't possibly be all joy and lovely colours. There are valid complaints, but it all depends on how you decide on bringing your message on the forum. You take responsibility for your actions.

Edit: I'd love seeing this place live up, you know! We're a community, aren't we? It really isn't the idea to drive people away, but to attract them. -_- Thing is, if you really have no business here but to troll and threadcrap, go create your own forums where you can be the "boss". See if you like it...

Last edited:

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
If possible, it would be best to just block them from the UT3 section of the forum, and let them continue with 2kX. I'm not trying to completely ban them, just to keep them out of the UT3 forum, as they certainly have no right to be there at this point (all horses are now dead and throughly beaten).

Ow let me get this straight:

People who give their opinion (talking for myself btw) and dont like UT3 because they are dissapointed have to be blocked from the UT3 section?

Nice attitude you got there Mister.

Maybe its better for you to go to your profile and select "ignore" to some members.

BTW i've stopped whining about UT3 (if you can call that whining), i just gave up on this game, but that doesnt mean that i have no right to look into the UT3 forums, its just too ridicilous to even say that "they" have no right to be there, its just arrogant.

I do agree with you that there is too much whining about it and too much topics about the UT3 complaints, but banning people is a bit too far imo, aslong they dont keep spamming about UT3 in every single topic or offending someone.

Gr Fragger

Last edited by a moderator:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
*Deep sigh*

Its blatantly obvious that alot of you have no idea what "trolling" (aka Trawling) actually means, trolling is not having a negatively charged opinion of something, nor is it having a chip on your shoulder that you like to talk about too often.

It is posting something for the sole purpose of infurriating as many people as possible, trolling is an intent, if people are posting something just because they get their jollies watching people get angry, then it is trolling, and most trolls will often post things they dont themselves agree with, just to get a rise out of people, just to push their buttons.

BUF has very few posters like that, what we do have is alot of opinionated people, who are not shy to post what their opinion is, and like to argue about differing opinions, but none of that is trolling.

To recap:

This is an opinion: "I'm very dissapointed with UT3, i expected so much more from Epic, this game is no fun to me."

This is a troll: "UT3 is worse than Daikatana! it is the worst game ever made, and it is because Microsoft payed Epic alot of money to make sure it sucked on the PS3!"

The first one is a negative opinion of the game, the second one is using wild accusations to insure it will push peoples buttons, and provoke alot of responses, it is something a troll would post just to see how many flaming replies he can get, and laugh about it (admittedly it is a weak attempt, but i am not very good at trolling, nor do i wish to be).

There is a big difference here people, and that difference is intent.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
man, i tried to look up the post to report it, but i can't find it. i found the post where i quoted him and replied, but not his post.

Use the arrow in the quote you posted. It takes you to the original post you quoted. ;) (Try it above on the right of your name)

The post you are looking for is still there I think but I closed the window and now are too lazy to find it again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.