Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
Uhh... what the hell are you smoking?
This is my, "my" opinion. No point in trying to argue with me about it.
"I" prefer blowing off limbs and leaving blood trails.
Over gibbing people, which is hardly satisfying to "me".

Grit doesn't define maturity. Like I said.
UT3 has a darker atmosphere, which I like.

To me UT3's gore looks looks like chunks of red plastic.
The hammer is one of my favorites in UT3.
However It's still my overall opinion that 2k4 did a better job.
Not to mention the fact the different graphical capabilities, and different art style that was used on [(U/2)/T/c(2)/2003/4].
It's not entirely visually based either.
I liked the thuds of their corpses hitting obstacles on their tumbling's.

Regardless if Epic releases a bonus pack or even classify it as a new game, that's not the point of this thread.
2k4 being more of an add on to 2k3 was classified as a game in it's own right.
UT3 might be as well one day, but at this point it is not.
All UT weapons are weak "imo" compared to a normal shooter. However 99 had the best, 2k4 takes second, UT3 took last.
For me the UT franchise just gets worse with every addition. While adding a few neat features (and better graphics*) at the same time.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The gibs in UT2k4 were epic fail. The worst I ever seen in any damn game D:

The weapons, on the other hand, felt pathetic at best.

Last edited:

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
Yea 2k4 weapons were ugly. Forgot to mention though far as gore.
Uber Death, and Blood Hell (ballistics) mutators
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=724fVMZZJaM

I feel mods are a valid part of what makes an Unreal game Unreal.
If you take away mutators like those then yea, 2k4 has pretty weak gibs.
If a bloodyhell mutator is ever released for UT3, and a taunt pack. I'd probably have to say UT3 is better.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I like that. Got to have it. Is UT3 that bloody? I played just a minute ago and I didn't even notice. The games involve so much death and I am completely indifferent to it.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
If the question were UT3 or UT99, I'd vote for UT99 hands down. However, in the case of UT3 v. UT 2004 my answer is that it depends on what game types you're talking about and what aspects you're talking about.

CTF -- UT3 (less hitscan emphasis)
DM -- UT3 (same reason)
Onslaught/Warfare -- UT 2004.

User Interface -- UT 2004
Server Browser -- UT 2004
Ease of File Management -- UT 2004
Skins -- UT3 (but that's not saying a lot; I give it to UT99 over both of them)
Voice Taunts -- UT 2004

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Are you ****ing serious? :lol: Plz Explain to me how ut3 held a "traditional" UT story together.
On that note, how the hell could unreal stick to a traditional unreal tournament story if unreal tournament was made after unreal?
And UT? It didn't stick to the traditional UT story; it defined it.
UC2..... I'll give you that one. It was more tournamentish then ut3 in any event. It is actually very consistant with the other games in the unreal series now that i think about it. It was just a bit unbelievable because it is SUCH a big spinoff. Half the cast are space egyptions. 3/4 of the maps are egyption themed. The characters can effectively fly. The weapons include swords (Damn cool i admit, but still... WTF :lol:).
All that really reduced the believability for me. But aside from that it was definately very faithful to the traditional UT story.
Oh brother. Want some more nits to pick?

Unreal didn't break the "traditional" tournament story because there was nothing in it that made the story of UT impossible. UT didn't break from the "tradtitional" tournament storyline BECAUSE it defined it. UT3 didn't break from the "traditional" tournament storyline because it drew references to it and didn't add a whole bunch of useless crap to it. UC2 didn't break the "traditional" tournament story because it was placed decades into the future and is entirely plausible follow up to the tournament events.

Basically your post was pointless bickering and contained nothing interesting about what I said.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well theres things I like about both, honestly I prefer the art style in UT3 even if the necris characters did take alittle bit of a turn for the worse. UT3 coulda taken more of a note from UC2 than just offing some chick at the end, the interactions between corporations is where its at for me. I didnt need malcom in there telling me what to do, I found it much better when he was in the commentators box.

Its just a damn shame there isnt one UT game out there, including the original, that gives me all the UT how I like it in one box.

UT3 coulda been so much more, it wasnt and thats just a fact we'll have to deal with, this also doesnt make UT2k4 any more or less of a game than it was before.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
The overall feel of 2k4 was a much more mature game, while UT3 felt like they tried to hard to please both crowds.

I sort of agree with this, UT3 is definitely less mature, but I feel it's more due to the lethal injection of "look how ****ing extreme and gritty this **** is syndrome" that came over from the console market (Gears of War). The whole thing kind of reminds me of a flash I saw a while back... let's see. Oh, here it is. Not as good as I remember, but I feel it rather captures the aesthetic, depth, and quality of UT3 as compared to the other games in the series fairly well. It just seems like the trend in games now is to make something intense rather than something good, because intense can have more initial appeal and will sell better to the mass "play it and throw it away" market.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Oh brother. Want some more nits to pick?
Sure why not?
Unreal didn't break the "traditional" tournament story because there was nothing in it that made the story of UT impossible.
Good point
UT didn't break from the "tradtitional" tournament storyline BECAUSE it defined it.
Didn't i already say this?
UT3 didn't break from the "traditional" tournament storyline because it drew references to it and didn't add a whole bunch of useless crap to it.
I still can't believe this :lol:. You are telling me that the whole war thing wasn't useless? FLaGs were a necessary and important addition to the tournament? bloody hell........
UC2 didn't break the "traditional" tournament story because it was placed decades into the future and is entirely plausible follow up to the tournament events.
I agree with you there
Basically your post was pointless bickering and contained nothing interesting about what I said.
Come now, be a good sport! Bickering it may be, but never pointless.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Didn't i already say this?
Yes, but I added the emphasis. What you said had no value whatsoever because UT COULDN'T POSSIBLY HAVE BROKEN THE TOURNAMENT STORY. So my inclusion of it was valid.
I still can't believe this :lol:. You are telling me that the whole war thing wasn't useless? FLaGs were a necessary and important addition to the tournament? bloody hell........
I didn't say it was important, or that it even had to be important. The point is that the story in UT3 doesn't really conflict with UT's in any calculable way. UT2003 and UT2004 ignore and often completely throw out story elements that were set with UT, or, in the case of the original UT2003 storyline, were set so far into the future that trying to tie it back to UT some way was utterly pointless.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I liked it better when there wasn't any emphasis on story (this type of game does not lend itself to one!). In UT, all the "story" and "character bio" stuff seemed sort of incidental, just adding a little bit of flavor. When people start obsessing over plotlines and characters' histories and stuff like that in these games, it all begins to sound so hokey and lame to me. I say keep it vague and let the player's imagination fill in the details!

I like that. Got to have it. Is UT3 that bloody? I played just a minute ago and I didn't even notice. The games involve so much death and I am completely indifferent to it.

The gore in Bloody Hell completely owns anything UT3 does. The new decals, the bloody "drag" trails, the pools that form under inert corpses, it looks great. I can't play without it anymore.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
That is somewhat true, but there were still consistent links between the two.
No it's not true...I was being sarcastic.

There is no story to UT...its an action arena combat game. It uses the Unreal weapons, which the current game still does.

Even Unreal doesn't have that much of a story, its just the execution is very atmospheric. The only thing that really defines it as "Unreal" as opposed to any other fps (besides the awesome graphics quality) is the combination of sc-fi and medeival fantasy elements.

It just seems to me there's some irrational expectation that UT games are supposed to be defined by something other than combat with crazy weapons in far-out environments.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, but it hardly 'complements' it, and it's no more relevant than Unreal 2 is to Unreal. Just a few insubstantial links...
It's much more connected to UT than the 2kX series was: by characters, weapon designs, locales, etc.

I tend to not love the storyline of the series either, but it's nice there is something actually there if you are interested.

I can't agree with every design decision in UT3, but for me it is a much more UT games than either of the last two.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The gore in Bloody Hell completely owns anything UT3 does. The new decals, the bloody "drag" trails, the pools that form under inert corpses, it looks great. I can't play without it anymore.
Forgot to mention though far as gore.
Uber Death, and Blood Hell (ballistics) mutators
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=724fVMZZJaM

I feel mods are a valid part of what makes an Unreal game Unreal.
If you take away mutators like those then yea, 2k4 has pretty weak gibs.
If a bloodyhell mutator is ever released for UT3, and a taunt pack. I'd probably have to say UT3 is better.
Yeah, I do agree - Bloody Hell did indeed make it awesome. But we must compare the stock games, and in that sense, I think most of us would feel UT3 has the better gore compared to 2k4.

It also has far less silly ragdolls. :p

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
It's much more connected to UT than the 2kX series was: by characters, weapon designs, locales, etc.

I tend to not love the storyline of the series either, but it's nice there is something actually there if you are interested.

I can't agree with every design decision in UT3, but for me it is a much more UT games than either of the last two.

OK, i have a question that could end my argumentative stand point right now:
Are you of the opinion that the whole "war" thing was a good idea on EPIC's part? Or in other words, do you believe that the war story is better then the tournament story that most of us were expecting?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
OK, i have a question that could end my argumentative stand point right now:
Are you of the opinion that the whole "war" thing was a good idea on EPIC's part? Or in other words, do you believe that the war story is better then the tournament story that most of us were expecting?
No.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I liked it better when there wasn't any emphasis on story (this type of game does not lend itself to one!). In UT, all the "story" and "character bio" stuff seemed sort of incidental, just adding a little bit of flavor. When people start obsessing over plotlines and characters' histories and stuff like that in these games, it all begins to sound so hokey and lame to me. I say keep it vague and let the player's imagination fill in the details!